This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

McDonald's McFrappes

modiddly16

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I'm curious about McDonald's McFrappes and if they're gluten free. Per their website, they seem as if they are but I was curious if anyone had experience with it. I'm aware of the negatives about McDonald's and the many forums on this site bashing their food...I'm not trying to eat there, just trying to get one of those delicious looking Frappes.

Anyone?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lynnelise Apprentice

I had one and was sick for over a week. I now call them McCrappes. It really seemed like a gluten reaction. I'm sure it could've been something else but I won't chance it again!

Heidi S. Rookie

I tried a chocolate milkshake from one of the McCafes. They made it like Mcfrappe with the whip cream and drizzle and I was sick in 20 mins and for 2 days. Not sure why, their milkshakes used to come straight from a machine but I believe they have changed them at the McCafe locations.

Lisa Mentor

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutrition_ingredients.html

McFrappes Gluten Free:

McCafe Frappes

Frappe Caramel (Small):

Caramel Coffee Frappe Base, Ice, Whipped Cream, Caramel Drizzle

Frappe Caramel (Medium):

Frappe Caramel (Large):

Frappe Mocha (Small):

Mocha Coffee Frappe Base, Ice, Whipped Cream, Chocolate Drizzle

Frappe Mocha (Medium):

Frappe Mocha (Large):

Caramel Coffee Frappe Base:

Water, cream, sugar, milk, high fructose corn syrup, coffee extract, natural (botanical source) and artificial flavors, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, potassium phosphate, disodium phosphate, carrageenan, carob bean gum.

CONTAINS: MILK.

Caramel Drizzle:

Corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk (milk, sugar), high fructose corn syrup, water, butter, sugar, salt, pectin, disodium phosphate, artificial flavor (vanillin, ethyl vanillin), caramel color (with sulfites), potassium sorbate (preservative).

Chocolate Drizzle:

Corn syrup, water, hydrogenated coconut oil, high fructose corn syrup, glycerin, nonfat milk, cocoa powder, cocoa (processed with alkali), food starch-modified, disodium phosphate, potassium sorbate (preservative), xanthan gum, artificial flavor (vanillin), salt, soy lecithin.

CONTAINS: MILK AND SOY LECITHIN.

Ice:

Ice

Mocha Coffee Frappe Base:

Water, cream, sugar, milk, high fructose corn syrup, coffee extract, natural (botanical source) and artificial flavors, cocoa (processed with alkali), mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, potassium phosphate, disodium phosphate, carrageenan, carob bean gum, colored with (red 40, yellow 5, blue 1).

Whipped Cream:

Cream, nonfat milk, corn syrup, sugar, mono-and diglycerides, natural (vegetable source) and artificial flavors, carrageenan, propellant: nitrous oxide.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Right....as I said, I saw that the ingredients listed it as being gluten free. I was curious about anyones reaction to them.

kareng Grand Master

Could it be that all that sweetness is causing some issues? Maybe you all are already sweet enough! ;)

Lisa Mentor

Right....as I said, I saw that the ingredients listed it as being gluten free. I was curious about anyones reaction to them.

I thought that others would like to see McD's listing of gluten free options as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Heidi S. Rookie

Could it be that all that sweetness is causing some issues? Maybe you all are already sweet enough! ;)

I am pretty sweet! But I eat milkshakes other places, they do have a seasonal shamrock shake still available and it is not gluten free maybe it is just a contamination issue with the mixer/blender used. I never had to check before b/c the triple thick shakes came straight from the machine no mixer used. I will ask if I get desperate another time. Do they mix the McFrappes? and shakes/McFlurries on a machine?

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I never had a problem with the Frappes listed, but then again I've never been to a cafe location (what is that? never heard of it!), just the normal McDonald's.

Stef

• 2 months later...
missceliac2010 Apprentice

Hello all. I was out and about today, wanted a snack, googled the frappé and it took me here, to my friends at celiac.com. I read the thread and decided to go for it. Got a small Carmel no whipped cream. 15 mins later I started to feel terrible. My belly started to grow and I started to sweat?! However, 1 hour later I felt fine. I am thinking maybe it was the lactose? I am finding I am also lactose intolerant along with gluten, so my experience might not be a fair judgment of the McFrappe. Or perhaps a little of both gluten and lactose? I don't really know... I will also disclose that I have found I am VERY sensitive. But that's my honest experience.

Good luck!

I never had a problem with the Frappes listed, but then again I've never been to a cafe location (what is that? never heard of it!), just the normal McDonald's.

Stef

Coleslawcat Contributor

Hello all. I was out and about today, wanted a snack, googled the frapp

• 1 month later...
kkaysmiles Newbie

I had a caramel McFrappe and had no reaction.

I had caramel and felt sick..Have never felt bad after the mocha..I do leave the choc sauce off..figure it helps the calories and was alittle unsure of it.

larry mac Enthusiast

Somewhat off topic. I've been having a $1 hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and chopped peanuts about 2-3 times a week all summer long. Pretty good, and cheap.

best regards, lm

• 7 months later...
ilookthetype Rookie

I've gotten sick from the fraps at McDs too. I think it's the modified food starch. I can't eat MFS without getting sick.

psawyer Proficient

I've gotten sick from the fraps at McDs too. I think it's the modified food starch. I can't eat MFS without getting sick.

MFS is most commonly tapioca. Perhaps you are sensitive to tapioca?

Deana  Huneke Newbie

It could also be the artificial vanilla. My daughter has celiac and cannot tolerate any vanilla that is not all natural and gluten free.

It very well be cross contamination. The person that makes your frappe is also handling the french fries ( which are not gluten free) and also the sandwich wrappers that have been touched by the person making the sandwich. A fast food restaurant is a mine field of cross contamination. If I purchase even a drink from McDonalds for my daughter, I emtpy it into a cup that I keep inthe car so that it is not contaminated.

• 1 year later...
rogerscity Newbie

MFS is most commonly tapioca. Perhaps you are sensitive to tapioca?

This is not correct. mfs is most commonly wheat flour.

unless it looks like this: "modified food starch (corn),"ect..

also i thought i'd mention that the drizzle(chocolate sauce) does have gluten

in it. only enough for someone with severe sensitivity to it.

I have not had any problems when i ask with no chocolate sauce.

Does anyone know if they do use the same machine or w/e to fix it.. ??

psawyer Proficient

unless it looks like this: "modified food starch (corn),"ect.

Please cite your source for this claim.

I have been gluten-free for twelve years, and have yet to find a single case of MFS being wheat. In both Canada and the US, if it was wheat, that fact would be required to be clearly disclosed.

kareng Grand Master

unless it looks like this: "modified food starch (corn),"ect..

also i thought i'd mention that the drizzle(chocolate sauce) does have gluten

in it. only enough for someone with severe sensitivity to it.

I have not had any problems when i ask with no chocolate sauce.

Does anyone know if they do use the same machine or w/e to fix it.. ??

Your info is incorrect for the US.

On top of what Peter said, the McDonalds website gives the ingredients to the chocolate drizzle:

Chocolate Drizzle:

Corn syrup, dextrose, water, sugar, glycerin, hydrogenated coconut oil, cocoa (processed with alkali), food starch-modified, nonfat milk, natural (plant source) and

artificial flavor, salt, gellan gum, disodium phosphate, potassium sorbate (preservative), soy lecithin, artificial flavor (vanillin).

Lisa Mentor

Your info is incorrect for the US.

On top of what Peter said, the McDonalds website gives the ingredients to the chocolate drizzle:

Chocolate Drizzle:

Corn syrup, dextrose, water, sugar, glycerin, hydrogenated coconut oil, cocoa (processed with alkali), food starch-modified, nonfat milk, natural (plant source) and

artificial flavor, salt, gellan gum, disodium phosphate, potassium sorbate (preservative), soy lecithin, artificial flavor (vanillin).

Oh, Karen beat me to it! :P Here's the link:

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/ingredientslist.pdf

• 4 years later...
AAW89 Newbie

Just had a small hot chocolate this morning. 15 minutes later I am on the toilet looking at this site. I haven't had anything else to eat just grabbed a hot chocolate when getting my kids breakfast. I eat the sundaes with no problem but have reacted to a shake there before. It thinks its likely due to CC. 

• 1 month later...
Bccooper Newbie

The majority of the time I can have an occasional Carmel frappe without problem. However I did have a reaction one time. I was already home when I reacted so I didn't question them but I wonder if they possibly use store bought Carmel for the top if they run out ( very few from the store are gluten free) . That or do they use the same equipment to mix the other ice cream stuff with candy that is not gluten free causing cross contamination?

Ennis-TX Grand Master

That could be the case but I would say it is the machines and CC issues. A frappe is a blended coffee and ice drink, they use the same machines as other blended ice drinks. IF they are in a rush they probably do not do much other then rinse them between orders. Say someone else got a cookies and cream blend or something like that before yours. Best bet is do theses kinds of things at home and play it safe.

• 1 year later...
PamelaS. Newbie
On 4/23/2010 at 7:44 AM, lynnelise said:

I had one and was sick for over a week. I now call them McCrappes. It really seemed like a gluten reaction. I'm sure it could've been something else but I won't chance it again!

Natural and artificial flavors sometimes have hidden gluten. Had chocolate chip yesterday and have been sick all day.  I can have a tiny bit of wheat so I allowed it in a mc fish but the combo sent me over the edge of shutdown, so I feel there's something suspicious with the frappes.

• 1 year later...
Laurajess Newbie

I work at mcdonalds and I read the mccafe sheet on the products for fun and found this: 

Coffee frappes are the only ones that have only trace amounts of gluten. all other frappe flavours have gluten.