This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Can't Commit To Gluten Free Without Some Sweets!

ohitsonlynicole

ohitsonlynicole Newbie

:lol: Hi, I am new to this. I have a huge sweet tooth and since going gluten free I can't find any good sweets. Thats when I drive to cinnabon, eat a whole roll and pay for it the next day. I am 21 and a busy girl. I don't want cooking tips because I will never have time make anything. The things I have tried have been horrible. I also do not have a bunch of money to be buying everythin to find out that I hate it, so if you know of something you swear by let me know. I live in MN so any places or even online where I can buy some actual great tasting gluten free yum yums. Anything sweet and fluffy or extra rich... Pretty much if it has sugar I will like it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Craving sweets is a symptom of the disease caused by malnutrition and not eating a balanced diet.

Everybody is busy, so that's no excuse.

Start taking a gluten free multivitamin, a B complex, and a calcium supplement. Eat more vegetables and good fats such as nuts, avocados, coconut milk, olive oil.

And your'e going to have to find a place to either buy gluten free treats, local or online, or learn to make your own, because driving all the way to a regular bakeshop takes just as much effort as driving to a store for gluten free goods, it's where you want to direct your energy.

Try googling [ gluten free name of your town ] . That should give you some ideas.

kaki-clam Enthusiast

for a quick pick me up...I find a Snickers really satisfies! I read somewhere that the mini's contain wheat, so i stick to the full size bar..never had a problem :)

modiddly16 Enthusiast

You can't find any gluten free sweets? Sweets is what gluten free does best...I've never had a problem finding gluten free desserts anywhere that sells gluten free food. Granted, sometimes you have to make them yourself but cookies and brownies are really so easy to make. You really need to stop going to cinnabun and all that and start being healthy or you're really going to do some serious damage!

sa1937 Community Regular

I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (the originals). Check the ingredients as not all Reese's products are gluten free. Loved them before diagnosis and can still eat them with no problem now.

I need to add Snicker's to my grocery list today. I've always liked them, too.

Since going gluten free I find that my 9 o'clock munchies have all but disappeared. Probably because I'm eating so nutritiously now. biggrin.gif

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I don't want to preach at you, but if you are eating gluten on a regular basis you probably won't be able to get past this no matter how delicious the gluten-free sweets are. It's not the sugar you are craving, it's the gluten.

If you were diabetic, would you be too busy to check your blood sugar?

You have to get a handle on this even if you never get to eat another sweet. You aren't paying for eating gluten on just the days you feel lousy. The damage goes on and on even after you feel better.

Take care of yourself! You deserve to feel great and be healthy! :D

Please don't eat gluten anymore! :(

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Fresh and Natural all have great sweets to fill your sweet tooth. Bittersweet Bakery makes good gluten free items too. All in the Twin Cities.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciavyn Contributor

Um chocolate?! Chocolate is gluten free baby! And gluten free brownies are super easy to make, and I guarantee I'm as busy if not busier than you! I make a batch, and freeze it. Then I take out a half a brownie -- remember, this is also about self-control -- and enjoy every morsel. I have chocolate at every meal, and ice cream several nights a week. :) If you love muffins, check out Udi's breads. Awesome muffins.

Listen, I'm addicted to sweets too -- I admit it. But I keep them a minimum and enjoy them when I have them. But you need to ask yourself why you would purposely hurt yourself for at least a day (for me, it's three weeks, so if you are getting away with only one day, I'm jealous!) just to have something that you could easily make yourself or buy at a convenience store? I know you didn't ask us for a psych analysis :) but we are worried about you. Think about why YOU and your well-being are not important enough to YOU -- and at your age, I would have done the same thing -- thank God I've learned more as I've gotten older. You deserve to feel good and healthy, and to enjoy some yummy sweets without paying for it with your health.

((hug))

eatGF.only Newbie

Hi there,

Good to now there are others like me out there. I crave sweets healthy or not!

What I really enjoy and eat all day are the Katz Gluten Free Cinnamon Rugelech. For those craving Chocolate they have it available in chocolate as well.I also enjoy Udi's muffins for change.

As far as I know you shall have some Hy-vee's in MN carrying both brands. or shopa online at www.katzglutenfree.com and www.udisglutenfree.elsstore.com .

Good Luck and Hearty apetite! :P

sandiz Apprentice

I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (the originals). Check the ingredients as not all Reese's products are gluten free. Loved them before diagnosis and can still eat them with no problem now.

I need to add Snicker's to my grocery list today. I've always liked them, too.

Since going gluten free I find that my 9 o'clock munchies have all but disappeared. Probably because I'm eating so nutritiously now. biggrin.gif

I read the ingredients for Reese's Peanut Butter cups and found nothing bad in them but had a reaction to them. Since going gluten free 4 months now I don't crave the sweets like I used to. Still have set backs once in a while but doing ok.

ciavyn Contributor

I read the ingredients for Reese's Peanut Butter cups and found nothing bad in them but had a reaction to them. Since going gluten free 4 months now I don't crave the sweets like I used to. Still have set backs once in a while but doing ok.

It may be the peanut butter. I LOVE PB, and love Reese's, but I've learned to avoid it as my system canNOT tolerate PB. :(

Salax Contributor

How bout a fresh piece of fruit? No labels to read, naturally gluten free, good on the go. I know it's not chocolate, but it's a good sweet tooth fix that is healthier than candy or muffins. Although those are awesome too. B)

lynnelise Apprentice

When I'm craving sweets I make the chocolate chip recipe on the side of the Pamela's Gluten free baking mix. It literally takes like less than 20 minutes from start to finish! I use orange extract instead of vanilla and it makes them even better. I sometimes use butterscotch chips (read labels carefully, all brands are not gluten-free) and make bar cookies in an 8x8 pan. So 20 minutes and a weeks worth of treats if you don't share! :D

GFinDC Veteran

Try a search for microwave peanut brittle. 10 minutes and it's done. And you can add any fixings you want, like dried fruit, other nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, coconut etc. Cheaper than buying candy and better for you.

Or stop at any store and pickup some nutritionally void Starburst Fruit chews. Or try a search on the forum here for Halloween candy. There are lists of commercial candy that is safe for us, oops, um, kids to eat. :D

sa1937 Community Regular

Or stop at any store and pickup some nutritionally void Starburst Fruit chews. Or try a search on the forum here for Halloween candy. There are lists of commercial candy that is safe for us, oops, um, kids to eat. biggrin.gif

I also like Betty Crocker Fruit Roll-Ups! Yup, I'm just a kid at heart! biggrin.gif

Nor-TX Enthusiast

The Welch's Fruit Snacks are gluten-free and fat free. When I want something sweet after dinner I have some Turtle Mountain gluten-free and dairy free icecream. The flaor - cookie dough is gluten-free and dairy free, casein free and parve... It is very very yummy over a Betty Crocker brownie popped in the microwave for a few seconds. Even my DH loves them. If you go to the Turtle Mountain website, there is a 1.00 off coupon that you can print out. Not all the flavors are gluten-free... but the cookie dough is!

BethM55 Enthusiast

I'm about 4 and a half months into being gluten free, and just very recently found that my insane cravings for sweet and baked stuff is calming down. Some of that might be because maybe I'm getting over the feelings of deprivation that were drowning me initially. There's so much that I CAN eat! And maybe because, as others have said, I'm healing, and my body isn't frantically trying to get the nutrition it needs anymore.

That said, I agree with others here, that gluten-free brownies are insanely easy to make. Trader Joe's gluten-free brownie mix is the best I've tried. People prefer them to 'regular' mixes. I've also made the cookie recipe on the side of the bag, and it's excellent! Most ice cream is gluten-free (but read the lables, nothing with cookie bits in it!), so a gluten-free brownie with a scoop of ice cream ought to satisfy anyone's sweet tooth. You could even sprinkle some cinnamon on top, if that's what you are craving.

On the other hand, it's Spring, and fresh fruit is starting to come into season. Berries! Pears! Cherries! Plums! Don't get me started... The only prep is a quick rinse, and if you are formal about it, a bowl and a spoon. MMMMMMMMM!!!! :D

Seriously, give this some time. You'll feel better, your skin and hair will thank you, as will your immune system. Not easy at first, but it'll get easier over time. Keep on posting here, this is a safe place to vent and ask questions.

BethM55 Enthusiast

Also, KnickKnick brand of cookies called KooToo's (I think) are darn close to Oreos. Better, too, I think.

Darissa Contributor

3 minute microwave mircacle cake! My favorite when I'm craving something sweet and cake like. It really only takes 5 minutes from start to finish! Ya!

Heres the recipe: And it is really this simple!

3 packets swiss miss hot chocolate (swiss miss is gluten-free, not all brands of hot chocolate are tho so be careful! We love swiss miss)

4 TBSP Pamelas pancake and baking mix (a staple at my house..makes great gluten free baked products) Or you could use your favorite gluten-free flour blend

1 egg

2 TBSP oil

4 TBSP water

Spray a small glass microwaveable bowl with Pam ( I use a 1 qt bowl, not a cereal bowl because it is not big enough)

Mix all ingredients in bowl.

Microwave on High for 3 minutes!

Thats eat! You can eat it right out of the bowl!! Mosit and fluffy chocolate desert!

I top mine with whip cream, or powder sugar, or frosting or ice cream or you can eat it just as it is!

So simple and it cures a craving for a baked gluten-free sweet treat! Its a life saver at my house, especially when my young daughter has a bday party to go to or for a school or church treat and needs a piece of gluten-free cake to take with her.

Good luck!

Darissa

Darissa Contributor

Udi's gluten-free Blueberry Muffins are wonderful! They are moist and delicious and so yummy. They remind me of muffins that I used to eat that were full of gluten! You can never tell they are gluten free. You can order them online from Udi's site, or I get mine from Whole Foods in the freezer section if you have a Whole Foods by you. Also, their whole grain bread from Udi's is really good. I don't care for their white bread or lemon muffins (but my daughter likes the lemon muffins)...but give the blueberry muffins a try. They are really worth it! You won't be wasting your money ....I promise they won't go in the trash!! (like so many other prepared gluten-free products that I buy that aren't very good). Have fun!

Skylark Collaborator

The new Betty Crocker gluten-free mixes are really good. My fave is the Devil's Food cake. Pamela's gluten-free brownie mix makes good brownies too. I also just discovered the Glutino "oreos" called Dream Cookies. Nom, nom. And then there are the Glutino Sugar Wafers, Breyer's ice cream, H

minniejack Contributor

quick reminder though: Gluten Free is not Calorie Free

Trust me my hips learned that lesson over the winter and now I'm paying to remove those extra pounds from the fudge, the glutino "oreos", the cookies made just from pb and brown sugar....

kareng Grand Master

quick reminder though: Gluten Free is not Calorie Free

Trust me my hips learned that lesson over the winter and now I'm paying to remove those extra pounds from the fudge, the glutino "oreos", the cookies made just from pb and brown sugar....

:P So true! If gluten-free sweets were low cal, everyone would want them! :P

• 2 weeks later...
RDR Apprentice

:lol: Hi, I am new to this. I have a huge sweet tooth and since going gluten free I can't find any good sweets. Thats when I drive to cinnabon, eat a whole roll and pay for it the next day. I am 21 and a busy girl. I don't want cooking tips because I will never have time make anything. The things I have tried have been horrible. I also do not have a bunch of money to be buying everythin to find out that I hate it, so if you know of something you swear by let me know. I live in MN so any places or even online where I can buy some actual great tasting gluten free yum yums. Anything sweet and fluffy or extra rich... Pretty much if it has sugar I will like it.

I felt the same way when I was forced to go gluten-free, it got worse when I was diagnosed with multiple food intolerances and allergies. The good thing about it was as time went by more and more foods were being created with us in mind.

Candy:

I swore by Reeses and Ghiradelli (before being diagnosed for Corn), both are gluten-free. Now I buy my chocolate through Santa Barbera Chocolate Co. They carry chocolate lines free of many different allergens.

Pastries:

I swear by Shabtai Gourmet. They make everything from Ring Dings to Jelly Rolls. All fair priced with free shipping and very VERY tasty.

If it's just Gluten you're looking at there are MANY options out there for you in the very supermarket you shop...most likely even in the restaurants you eat. Just don't be afraid to ask someone there in the know what they have available.

Jestgar Rising Star

Just found Open Original Shared Link

Archived