This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Have Bad Reactions To Quinoa?

GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Hi, I'm new to gluten-free eating. I've only been doing this since January. Yesterday I had the worst reaction I've had to something for months. The only thing I ate that was unusual was quinoa pasta the night before. I don't eat a lot of processed food, for the most part I eat steamed veggies and meat. My husband is very supportive and he will only eat what I am able to eat while we are at home (he will deviate if we go out to dinner, because I have encouraged him to get whatever he wants). Anyway, I have been able to completely clear my kitchen of gluten this way (or so I thought). I bought new pot and pans, etc to make sure everything was gluten-free. I have had a few minor incidences that happened while eating out, or because I didn't know all the questions to ask my host (I'm still learning). But each time it was pretty easy to figure out what made me sick. So I can't figure out how I got this sick. I spent all day yesterday doubled over in pain and rushing to the toilet every 20 minutes. Today, the pain is still there, but is much less. The ONLY thing I ate out of the norm was Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta, which is labeled gluten free, with the only ingredients being Organic Corn Flour, and Organic Quinoa Flour. I know that corn is not a problem for me as I often make it as a side dish and I have had corn only pasta (Mrs. Leepers, I think?) once before That was wonderful. So does anyone reaction to quinoa the same as gluten?

Oh, I also wanted to mention I cook soy-free, dairy-free (except for yogurt and real butter), and yeast-free, and I am allergic to shellfish, pork and mushrooms.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluebonnet Explorer

i've not had any problems with quinoa ... its become a favorite of mine. :)

chasbari Apprentice

Gave me problems the only time I tried it early on in my healing process. I have opted to stay away from it as a result. In no hurry to see if I have overcome it or not..

NorthernElf Enthusiast

No problems here - I buy a brand from Costco that has gluten free written right on it. I eat it on a regular basis - healthy stuff.

i-geek Rookie

I haven't had any problems with quinoa either in grain form or in the pasta, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't be intolerant to it. I think people can develop intolerances to just about any food, especially those of us whose illnesses have damaged our intestines.

Gave me problems the only time I tried it early on in my healing process. I have opted to stay away from it as a result. In no hurry to see if I have overcome it or not..

Thanks. At least I'm not the only one. I feel bad about not being able to enjoy it, because a friend of mine (who is not gluten-free, just a health nut) kept telling me about how great it is and all the health benefits. I don't have any desire to try it again now for a long, long time.

heatherjane Contributor

Hi, I'm new to gluten-free eating. I've only been doing this since January. Yesterday I had the worst reaction I've had to something for months. The only thing I ate that was unusual was quinoa pasta the night before. I don't eat a lot of processed food, for the most part I eat steamed veggies and meat. My husband is very supportive and he will only eat what I am able to eat while we are at home (he will deviate if we go out to dinner, because I have encouraged him to get whatever he wants). Anyway, I have been able to completely clear my kitchen of gluten this way (or so I thought). I bought new pot and pans, etc to make sure everything was gluten-free. I have had a few minor incidences that happened while eating out, or because I didn't know all the questions to ask my host (I'm still learning). But each time it was pretty easy to figure out what made me sick. So I can't figure out how I got this sick. I spent all day yesterday doubled over in pain and rushing to the toilet every 20 minutes. Today, the pain is still there, but is much less. The ONLY thing I ate out of the norm was Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta, which is labeled gluten free, with the only ingredients being Organic Corn Flour, and Organic Quinoa Flour. I know that corn is not a problem for me as I often make it as a side dish and I have had corn only pasta (Mrs. Leepers, I think?) once before That was wonderful. So does anyone reaction to quinoa the same as gluten?

Oh, I also wanted to mention I cook soy-free, dairy-free (except for yogurt and real butter), and yeast-free, and I am allergic to shellfish, pork and mushrooms.

Just wondering...did you double check the box to make sure it wasn't the one that contained wheat? That company makes a completely gluten free quinoa pasta, but they also make one that is a quinoa-wheat blend. I accidentally picked up the wrong one at Whole Foods one time because they inadvertently stocked it in the gluten free section. They moved it off that shelf as soon as I said something, but it would be an easy thing to miss since the packaging looks so similar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Just wondering...did you double check the box to make sure it wasn't the one that contained wheat? That company makes a completely gluten free quinoa pasta, but they also make one that is a quinoa-wheat blend. I accidentally picked up the wrong one at Whole Foods one time because they inadvertently stocked it in the gluten free section. They moved it off that shelf as soon as I said something, but it would be an easy thing to miss since the packaging looks so similar.

That's a good thought, I didn't know they made wheat pasta as well, but I am 100% sure it was their "gluten free" box. I know because I avoid soy as well and I always check the ingredients--many gluten free items have soy. The box had exactly two ingredients: ORGANIC QUINOA, ORGANIC CORN. Now that I know they make wheat pasta, however, you got me wondering if the quinoa pasta was made on the same equipment and there is a cc issue with that company.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I eat Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta ALL the time with no problems. Sorry to hear you got so sick. :(

T.H. Community Regular

I'm really sensitive, but I've never reacted to it. However, when I was first researching what I could and couldn't eat, I recall seeing that quinoa was on the 'maybe' list for celiacs. From what I read, they have actually only 'officially' tested a few of the other grains for celiac folk. Doctors assume all others that aren't wheat, rye, or barley are fine, but every once in a while, you can still find a precaution against quinoa, gluten-free oats, and a few other grains. Something to the effect that SOME celiacs seem to have problems with these.

Also, however...were you near any construction, or doing any art projects? Dry wall dust has gluten, and I believe tempera paint does as well, so if it's something like that, it might be possible to be glutened by something that wasn't your food at all, yeah? Just inhale it, and some will make it down your gullet and you're toast, bleh.

Looking for answers Contributor

Interesting fact: Quinoa is actually a seed.

O.N. Rookie

...The ONLY thing I ate out of the norm was Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta, which is labeled gluten free, with the only ingredients being Organic Corn Flour, and Organic Quinoa Flour. I know that corn is not a problem for me as I often make it as a side dish and I have had corn only pasta (Mrs. Leepers, I think?) once before That was wonderful. So does anyone reaction to quinoa the same as gluten?

I am on a gluten-free diet for almost 5 months and still have problems with many foods, including grains in general. I have pain and bloating when I eat a bowl of grain which may feel almost as a reaction for gluten. I discovered I can eat only a small amount of grain (the safe ones of course) because of the high content of fiber. I decided to wait until my gut heals before. I just eat safe veggies and proteins (no spices etc) and I feel much better now.

Maybe you should wait with grains until your gut heals? B)

heatherjane Contributor

That's a good thought, I didn't know they made wheat pasta as well, but I am 100% sure it was their "gluten free" box. I know because I avoid soy as well and I always check the ingredients--many gluten free items have soy. The box had exactly two ingredients: ORGANIC QUINOA, ORGANIC CORN. Now that I know they make wheat pasta, however, you got me wondering if the quinoa pasta was made on the same equipment and there is a cc issue with that company.

Actually, they make their gluten free pasta in a gluten free facility - at least that's what it says on the box. It's quite possible that you do have issues with quinoa, since some people really do, but I'm wondering since you had such a rough reaction that maybe you got gluten somewhere else and overlooked it. Are your medications, vitamins, lip products, etc gluten free also? Gluten is everywhere and uncovering all its hiding places sometimes comes by trial and error.

Mari Explorer

I have not been able to eat quinona, I knew it was pure because I grew it. I can eat sprouted quinona - one of my friends brings sprouted gluten-free quinona dishes to our garden club dinners. Raw quinona has a toxin which must be washed off before preparing so maybe the batch of noodles you got had not been washed enough for your sensitive intestine. I bought some gluten-free granola not too long ago and found some of the clumps were moldy and molds produce toxins. If in the processing the quinona didn't dry quicky enough molds could have grown. I bought some probiotics last year and they were also moldy - companies are always fighting the mold problem. I wrote the company and the bottle I bought recently is OK.

RunnerMom Newbie

I have had CRAZY bad reactions to quinoa! Worse than gluten: I get immediate stabbing pain in my stomache, sweaty with chills, 'D', etc. It's weird because I could eat it at first then all of a sudden, one day I had a violent reaction to it. I bought amaranth as a replacement and the same thing happened! After that I read online that both are in a similar class of grasses (I think -someone correct me if I am wrong b/c I looked a couple years ago). Anyway, I stay away from both now, which is a bummer b/c they are a nutritious alternative to wheat and lower glycemic index than rice flours. Now I have found Chia flour and Chia seeds and I use this instead. It's super healthy, higher in Omega 3s than flax seed, more digestable, high in fiber...all the stuff WE need. Check it out. :)

I have not been able to eat quinona, I knew it was pure because I grew it. I can eat sprouted quinona - one of my friends brings sprouted gluten-free quinona dishes to our garden club dinners. Raw quinona has a toxin which must be washed off before preparing so maybe the batch of noodles you got had not been washed enough for your sensitive intestine. I bought some gluten-free granola not too long ago and found some of the clumps were moldy and molds produce toxins. If in the processing the quinona didn't dry quicky enough molds could have grown. I bought some probiotics last year and they were also moldy - companies are always fighting the mold problem. I wrote the company and the bottle I bought recently is OK.

I have had CRAZY bad reactions to quinoa! Worse than gluten: I get immediate stabbing pain in my stomache, sweaty with chills, 'D', etc. It's weird because I could eat it at first then all of a sudden, one day I had a violent reaction to it. I bought amaranth as a replacement and the same thing happened! After that I read online that both are in a similar class of grasses (I think -someone correct me if I am wrong b/c I looked a couple years ago). Anyway, I stay away from both now, which is a bummer b/c they are a nutritious alternative to wheat and lower glycemic index than rice flours. Now I have found Chia flour and Chia seeds and I use this instead. It's super healthy, higher in Omega 3s than flax seed, more digestable, high in fiber...all the stuff WE need. Check it out. :)

Thank you Mari and RunnerMom for your replies. Yes, this reaction was worse than any glutening I have had. RunnerMom I will not be quick to try Amaranth, if that is the case. I have not tried chia flour yet, but I will remember it for later. I think I'm going to stick to mostly steamed veggies and safe meats for now. I guess I need to let my stomach heal more.

gary'sgirl Explorer

Hey, I just thought I would add that I have had very bad reactions to quinoa too. I thought I had to be wrong, but sure enough every type that I tried made me sick (flour, pasta and the whole grain).

Oh, and when i realized it was the quinoa that was bothering me I went to Ancient Harvests web site and they are probably one of the most safe companies to buy quinoa gluten free. They really take extreme measures. The only thing in their gluten free line that I would be careful of is their quinoa flakes, because they are processed in a different facility.

• 1 month later...
Nike-D Newbie

I ran across your post when I did a search to see if other people have had a bad reaction to quinoa. I feel pretty sick. I had a dinner party and made a quinoa salad. It was very good, but now I feel sick. It's been several days. It usually takes me a week to recover from anything :-(.

I think my stomach must be really sensitive and just can't handle it. I agree with people who suggest that it could be part of the healing process. I'm probably not going to try it anytime soon. Hope you feel better.

mushroom Proficient

I am aqlso intolerant of quinoa - horrible much, ghastly reactions :huh:

T.H. Community Regular

An interesting note on safety of grains.

Wheat, rye, barley, oats, rice and corn are the only grains that have actually been rigorously tested for celiac disease safety. All other information on grains and similar plants, last research I read, is based on assumption of safety, but no actual studies.

So Teff, amaranth, quinoa, job's tears - none of it has been tested. I've read a few celiac groups that list quinoa as a bad grain for some celiacs, because they keep having reports of people reacting to it.

There's an interesting scientific article on it, here: Open Original Shared Link

If it helps try to determine exactly what got you - if you checked for that gluten pasta already mentioned - maybe my reactions might help? I am SUPER sensitive to gluten AND all the other allergens you listed, and I use the Ancient Harvest brand as well. I don't react to the quinoa, and I haven't reacted to any products from this brand, so I would assume that if you are reacting, quinoa is what got ya.

• 1 month later...
jjane Newbie

I just bought the organic quinoa from Costco to make a chocolate gluten free cake. I have had a TERRIBLE reaction to quinoa. Have have not had one so severe for 45 years!!

jjane Newbie

I have had a very severe reaction to quinoa. Will not ever use it again. Worst symptoms in 45 years.

jjane Newbie

Thank you Mari and RunnerMom for your replies. Yes, this reaction was worse than any glutening I have had. RunnerMom I will not be quick to try Amaranth, if that is the case. I have not tried chia flour yet, but I will remember it for later. I think I'm going to stick to mostly steamed veggies and safe meats for now. I guess I need to let my stomach heal more.

Thank you all your feedbacks regarding quinoa. I thought maybe I was the only one. My reaction has been the most severe in 45 years of being gluten free.

precious831 Contributor

Quinoa is not a grain, it's a seed. It's closely related to spinach, and beets. My family and I are mostly grain-free(we try) and this is one that we eat. I buy the Ancient Quinoa brand, I soak it overnight and rinse very well before I cook it.

I read somewhere(If I remember I'll post it) to soak it to remove the covering which is the one causing GI issues. My naturopath said the same thing. He said to soak all grains(and legumes) and also quinoa and buckwheat for at least 6 hrs.

Try it, it might help.

Aphreal Contributor

I've heard this about quinoa ESPECIALLY for new celiacs. I think I'll just steer clear of it. I have plenty in my recipe box without it :)

Archived