This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problem With Swelling?

dakota girl

dakota girl Rookie

I have intermittently had some pretty intense swelling of my feet/legs-no heat, no real pain except for the discomfort of swelling (tight feeling, bloating, sorer knees). Has anyone else had this? I'm randomly wondering about diet Coke, natural flavorings, MSG? I'm really pretty vigilent about labels, but wonder if there is something I don't know. I'd appreciate anything you can think of/have experienced that sounds like it would fit!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sahm-i-am Apprentice

Severe pitting edema (swelling of both legs and feet) was the thing that sent me to the doctor 3 months ago. It is what led to my celiac disease diagnosis. But before the actual diagnosis my GP put me on diuretics and that helped alot. I have been gluten free for 3 weeks and haven't taken my diuretics since then and I haven't had as much swelling. They say that when your body chemistry is off it shows in strange ways. My body was lacking in certain vitamins and minerals from malabsorption that caused the swelling. Maybe you could have your blood drawn for some testing to see if something is off.

I hope it gets better soon. I hated that I couldn't wear comfy shoes and even my jeans started to get tight in the legs. Take care,

Wendi

GFinDC Veteran

I read a while back that swelling is a symptom of allergic reactions. so, maybe you should take a look at possible food triggers for the swelling.

The thing is, your body is your own, not anybody else's. You could react to something that I have no problem with at all. So you really would need to eliminate anything that you react to, not what other people react to.

A good starting point would be to eliminate all the top food allergens. You can find a list by searching on top food allergens.

That's a good way to find common allergens to eliminate. But you could have others that aren't on those lists. We are not all exactly the same. :)

kayo Explorer

I have swelling but I also have RA and they tend to go hand in hand. I seem to have less swelling since going gluten-free but it still happens now and then. For me humid weather or flying tends to puff them right up.

Some things that help: watch your salt intake, drink plenty of water and elevate your feet when you can.

An anti-inflammatory like Alleve would help too if it becomes too uncomfortable.

Bobbijo6681 Apprentice

I had severe swelling in both of my feet and legs and it wasn't really "painful" but more of an annoyance, and uncomfortableness with walking. I was diagnosed with B12 defiecency and once I got my levels back up the swelling went down. This was before my Celiac Diagnosis (should have had a doctor with half a brain then) and I have not had any problems since, and only take my B12 supplement when I have been glutenned or am having an "icky" tummy day as I call it.

Not sure if this will help you, but just a thought.

K8ling Enthusiast

I have swelling too, although it isn't as severe as yours is! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that! My doctor told me that MY swelling is a result of my allergic reaction (I also get hives when I get glutened).

I really hope they can find a solution for you. Maybe it IS the Diet Coke?

• 3 weeks later...
dakota girl Rookie

Thanks for all your input. If I've learned anything, it is that this disease rears its head in numerous ways. It would just be nice to have the easy fix one time, rather than playing the guessing game. I have resorted to occasional diuretics while I start the process of elimination one more time.

I do have another question...I know Aleve is on the safe meds list, but has anyone reacted to it? I took it for a month (hoping to end the Tylenol gig) and ended up with a stasis dermititis rash on one shin...related?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mari Explorer

I can't tolerate alleve and use tylenol and take turmeric as an antinflammatory.

Years ago I would have episodes of painful swolen ankles and feet. It turned out to be a delayed allergic reaction to cow's milk. I've been gluten-free and casein free for more than 4 years and recently ate some butter cookies and my ankles swelled after 3 days. The swelling goes down rapidly if I wrap may feet and ankles with ace bandages.

• 6 years later...
jantwins Newbie

Hi I am just going through being diagnosed. I went to doc with severe swelling of feet. 4 weeks down the line I now have severe swelling of both legs and my stomach. In pain and stiff. Using diuretics but not helping much. How long after going gluten free did swelling end? Strong positive on blood test, waiting for biopsy but really beginning to struggle 

ravenwoodglass Mentor
29 minutes ago, jantwins said:

Hi I am just going through being diagnosed. I went to doc with severe swelling of feet. 4 weeks down the line I now have severe swelling of both legs and my stomach. In pain and stiff. Using diuretics but not helping much. How long after going gluten free did swelling end? Strong positive on blood test, waiting for biopsy but really beginning to struggle 

Have you been back to see your doctor since the swelling spread? If not please call the office in the morning.  Are you still on gluten waiting for the biopsy?  You need to be otherwise the biopsy runs a higher risk of being a false negative. You might want to ask if you can go onto the cancellation list for the endo if you would be able to get there on short notice. With strong positive on the blood test chances are very good you have come to the right site to help you through the changes you will need to take after your biopsy is done.

Archived