This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Little Curiosity Poll

conniebky

Gluten Reactions  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

conniebky Collaborator

And if other, what's your other? :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Looks like I was the first to vote! I voted 'both':)

conniebky Collaborator

Looks like I was the first to vote! I voted 'both':)

LOL I forgot to vote on my own poll! :P

polarbearscooby Explorer

I voted both :P

Roda Rising Star

I voted gi issues. I usually get heartburn, bloating and contipation.

knittingmonkey Newbie

I voted gi issues. I usually get heartburn, bloating and contipation.

I voted G.I. issues, but am not going to disclose them because they're quite embarrassing. :huh:

Korwyn Explorer

My other is neuro and psychological. Anxiety, black moods, insomnia are my primary psychological.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jencat Rookie

Both. I have GI issues and depression, anxiety and fatigue, body aches, numbness to extremities and brain fog.-Jen

• 4 weeks later...
Coinkey Apprentice

Still discovering my reactions to gluten. I've only been free of it for a month. So far: neuro first then GI. FUN. :angry:

• 2 months later...
Cheryl-C Enthusiast

I voted for GI even though I also get some neuro - my GI responses are more severe than the neuro, so that's why I voted GI. I get the runs for a day, followed by constipation for about 4 or 5. Bloating, gas, rumbly gut. Not fun.

On the neuro side, I get anxious, depressed, anti-social and grumpy.

I also get sinus migraines, but I'm not sure which category that fits into.

Boo to gluten. <_<

Skylark Collaborator

I'm calling my depression and insomnia from gluten neuro. This poll is getting really interesting...

brendab Contributor

I first get stomach pain that turns into constipation in a couple of days. The rest is anxiety, depression, brain fog, grouchiness, headaches/migraines, forgetfulness, bloating, slight weight gain, insomnia, chronic fatigue, intense cravings for wheat products...........I forgot what else..........I had gluten yesterday! LOL

Chattyaholic Rookie

I voted G.I. issues. If I stick to my gluten-free diet religiously then I'm fine, but if I give in to a craving and have something with gluten then I pretty much just stay home the next day (at least the morning/early afternoon) because of "bathroom issues." :(

It's interesting to see what others are saying. I have been thinking my foggy brain and forgetfulness was because of menopause, but maybe not???

Superfudge Rookie

I said both, but I'm a newbie to this

sweeeeet Rookie

basically bloating, distention, diarrhea vs. constipation (IBS) stomach cramps.

Also extreme fatigue, spinning head, headache, dry eyes, brain fog. I didn't know if that was neuro related so I put GI related.

• 2 weeks later...
Bennie Rookie

GI issues and feel very tired

• 1 month later...
pickyguin Newbie

I voted other. I have Muscle and Joint pain when I eat gluten. I've been poked, prodded, stuck, Biopsyed and still tested Neg. When not eating gluten I can move and I have no pain or muscle tremmers. This has been a painful 25 years and finally @ 48 years old I live vertually pain free unless something unknowen to me is in my eats.

• 3 months later...
Sarah B Apprentice

I get a little stomach pain and fatigue. The one thing other than fatigue that I notice is neuro problems. I can't think straight or remember things.

I'm still trying to figure out if its gluten but so far going gluten free is the only thing that seems to work.

India Contributor

I've been gluten-free for a year and I'm lucky that I've only been glutened properly once. However, as well as GI issues, tiredness, brain fog etc, the longest-lasting effect was a big increase in my word muddling. Weird.

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

I go 'mental' and I get a canker sore in my throat

Emilushka Contributor

I get stomach pains, bloating, nausea, reflux for about the first 12 hours after the glutening. Then it moves into plain old bloating and GI cramping for a day or two. Then it moves into diarrhea and discomfort for another 5-6 days. All in all, I've had a week's worth of symptoms from 2 bites of wheat pasta (accidentally given to me by a waiter). I've also had a couple hours of plain old stomach cramping without anything else after a contaminated pan was used. I don't get neurological symptoms, though.

revenant Enthusiast

Hmmm I have equal neuro and G.I

GI: Constipation 1 day, and then diarrhea 2 days. Bloating, acid reflux, grumbling tummy... tummy pain :o

neuro: Anxiety, 'black cloud' depression, paranoia, anxiety, going from mania/hyperactivity on and off with intense fatigue/sloww moods, horrible attention span, visual disturbances, rage

So, this is more neuro for me actually but I put both

Muffy Rookie

I voted both but I don't feel my GI symptoms much, but they do take a lot of damage. The neuro affects are what actually bother me and they are similar to the others listed here. One thing that is very common for me as well is a difficulty swallowing. Like to the point where I have almost actually chocked on food that I can't neither swallow or move out of the back of my throat. It happens right away.

Does anyone get this? Do you think this would fit as a neuro or GI?

Cypressmyst Explorer

I get this. :P The choking I mean. I'd put it as GI not neuro, but next to GI symptoms neuro are the most common.

I don't know why Michael J. Fox hasn't been able to find a cure for Parkinsons, it's right there on his plate.

jeannieknits Rookie

I turn into a raving jerk! and it's funny (?) how long it took me to realize the connection. (my poor kids)

YEARS.

so, neuro issues: anxiety, rage, hyperactivity then brain fog.

gastro: first sign is a sharp pain across the top of my belly under my ribs....then I know what's coming. then it's the IBS, constipation for a day the D for the next 2-3 days. all the while grumbling belly and bloating and discomfort, insomnia....ugh.

I got glutened 2 weeks ago from a "gluten free" cupcake--from a bakery that I trusted. obvious CC issue, that I alerted them to. I was scared to death to try another cupcake, but I did, this week and was fine, thankfully.

Archived