This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Candida/leaky Gut/ulcer?

jknnej

jknnej Collaborator

I just can't seem to get better.

Everyday, at some part of the day, I get shaky and nauseated. Today I was at the dr. when it happened. She gave me some natural stuff for the nausea which did eventually subside but I am so emotionally drained from feeling this way every day.

I don't know if it's b/c of candida, leaky gut, or an ulcer.

I am going to a new GI doc on Tuesday and I am going to be demanding.

Someone needs to figure out what's wrong with me because it is starting to affect my ability to work.

Does anyone else have these problems? If so, how did you treat them?I'm guessing these things above are my problem..my thyroid was already tested although the doc thinks it could still be the problem.

Help! Any ideas?

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I had candida and I know that I had similar symptoms to what you are describing. I had bad nausea with it. Have you been checked yet?

jknnej Collaborator

No dr. has actually checked me for candida. I am going to demand they do on Tuesday when I go to my new GI doc.

I get white stuff in my mouth in the mornings and have a tiny bit of "female" candida as well, although it isn't full blown.

I do have the Nystatin that I didn't take b/c it says not to take it on the bottle unless a dr. has diagnosed you with a fungal infection.

SO, I will wait until Tuesday.

I am glad to hear that you had these symptoms, too. Well, not glad for you of course, but glad that it might actually be normal.

You are feeling better now? Did you also get the white stuff in your mouth?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

No I did not have candida in the mouth...mine was only intestinal. I do think I did have a tiny bit of "female" candida at one point. I was diagnosed with intestinal candida and did about a little over a month supply of liquid Nystatin.

I am 100% better (unless I am glutened) but that took care of the symptoms I was facing that were not from celiac. They say candida symptoms are similar to ones of celiac.

Definitely have them check you for it. I was mad with my doctors. I had a stool sample in January of 2004 at the same time I was diagnosed with celiac and it showed the candida...my doctor said " I've never seen that before" when he saw the results of candida in the stool and he just overlooked it. If I would have been treated at that point for candida I probably would have my symptoms gone in a shorter time then I did. Gotta babysit these doctors sometimes <_<

jenvan Collaborator

Katie-

What all were your symptoms? Is stool the only way to test for candida?

jknnej-

Do you ever take acidophilus? I went through a period of time where I was getting the "female" candida :) I started taking acidophilus and haven't had a problem since. I start taking it the moment I suspect an infection, and I never get one.

jenvan Collaborator

Oh, and if I ever HAVE to take an antibiotic for something, I definitely take acidophilus at the same time.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I'm not sure of all the ways they can test for candida. I had a stool test done and they were not even looking for candida but they found that.

My main symptom was nausea...I did have others like low energy and so forth but I think that was contributed to my hyperthyroid. They say that candida symptoms can be like those of celiac symptoms so I am not exactly sure (other then the nausea) what was from celiac and what was from candida.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jknnej Collaborator

I have taken acidophilus...I honestly think my biggest problem is that I've been on the pill for almost 11 years. It is time to get off!

I am stopping next week and really looking forward to it.

I have Nystatin and am hopefully going to take it next week if the doc says it's OK. I will probably take it even if he says not to because my other dr gave it to me and she thought it was OK...if at least one dr. agrees with it then it's probably OK or she wouldn't have prescribed it!

I have yeast in my mouth when I wake up and some "female" issues as well. I KNOW I have an overgrowth! It's been this way for about a year, too.

I assume I have it intestinally as well.

The acidophilus is good but it probably won't clear it up until I stop taking the pill so let's hope it works!

mommida Enthusiast

I asked the doctor about a yeast overgrowth in my daughter. She was on antibiotics recently and he said she has a yeast overgrowth then. He proceeded to then not validate that by doing no tests and saying to come back in 8 months.

Hmmm. What do you think the oods are that we will ever be back to that office?

Laura

Turtle Enthusiast

I've been trying to find more info about yeast infections and celiac as i'm very intrigued by this as well as curious now if this is why I too had the yeast infection from hell last week. I've had yeast infections on and off since I can remember but have been lucky (compared to those of you who've had the infection constantly, I couldn't imagine. WOW, my heart goes out to ya'll). Anyhow, I came across this article (hope the link works). I'm a little confused on if the Candida Albicans they discuss in the article is the same thing as what we think of as Candida/yeast infection or if it's just a different strain or what. If anyone has any other info about yeast and celiac please share b/c I really want to learn more about the connection between the two. Thanks!

Open Original Shared Link

Here's another article that seems easier to read:

www.o2-health.com/articles/7.htm

Emme999 Enthusiast

Turtle,

I posted this link a while ago connecting celiac & candida. Here is the important section:

"Now we come to what to me is the most interesting of the recent research regarding celiac. It seems fitting that the research again comes from Holland , where celiac disease was first linked to diet. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, from the research group TNO Nutrition and Food Research, published a paper in the June, 2003, Lancet. He links celiac disease with Candida albicans. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, knowing the actual sequence of proteins which trigger celiac disease from the published work of other scientists, had searched the databases available to him through TNO to see if the same sequence existed in other places. It turns out the identical sequence of proteins occur in the cell walls of Candida albicans. [15]"

The website is: Open Original Shared Link

We are talking about this in the "going off the pill" section too!

- Michelle :wub:

Turtle Enthusiast

Hey Michelle!

Yes, I saw the post in the thread where we're discussing the pill. I posted some there too. Thanks for passing on what you've come across. Amazing isn't it. Oh and I too LOVE tea tree oil.

• 3 weeks later...
whitelacegal Contributor

Hi, i saw this post and wanted to tell you that i also have the white stuff in the mouth, my doc told me that i had celiac from a endoscopy but the blood tests say negative, so i continued to eat wheat and now i still am having the yeast problems in my mouth also, im not sure where to turn either, the docs here dont know enough about celiac or yeast.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Whitelace girl-why didn't your doc put you on a gluten-free diet if he could tell from the 'scope?Did he take biopsies?

Negative bloods do not mean you haven't got coeliac.

My husband had negative bloods,but biopsies showed extensive'villous atrophy'.

My son used to have thrush in the mouth,-and docs gave him'nystatin'(don't know if you have a different brand name for it in the U.S.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Hi, i saw this post and wanted to tell you that i also have the white stuff in the mouth, my doc told me that i had celiac from a endoscopy but the blood tests say negative, so i continued to eat wheat and now i still am having the yeast problems in my mouth also, im not sure where to turn either, the docs here dont know enough about celiac or yeast.

If the endoscopy showed damage and was positive then you HAVE celiac and should be on a gluten free diet.

Candida can be linked with celiac too.

whitelacegal Contributor

the doc told me to go on gluten free doc but they he ended up retiring and i had to go to another gastro, this doc told me that from the blood test that i dont have Celiac. Yes, i had a biopsy and that said postive for Celiac. I guess you could say that since i had the other doc tell me that i dont have Celiac, i have been eating what i want to. I dont have diarrhea anymore but i have problems with sores in the mouth all the time and trying to find a new doc that can help me.

Archived