This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Off Of The Pill

jknnej

Guest madissoninva1

I went off the pill a couple of months before I got married, thinking that, being celiac, being a little older (I'm 34) and having been on the pill for over ten years, it would take a while to get pregnant. I got pregnant one week after going off the pill. So, just be careful if you're not completely ready to become pregnant. I had honestly hoped to wait about a year and to let the birth control get out of my system. Everyone else I know had to wait months before they were able to get pregnant.

I had spotting/bleeding for two months after going off the pill, which my doctor said was normal. Thus, I didn't realize I was pregnant for a while since I felt like I was having mini periods constantly. I am now due the end of December.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emme999 Enthusiast

Just thought I'd update:

I've been off the pill for two months now and guess what!?! I still have a yeast infection and don't feel any different at all.

However, I *did* start taking Brevail and it has done miraculous things for my mood swings & level of irritation. It's a supplement to help regulate your hormones. They intended it solely for the purpose of preventing breast cancer but then found out (from people writing in to the company) that it has the side effect of preventing PMS & other fun emotional rollercoaster events!

I love it and don't think I'll ever stop taking it :) My boyfriend has offered to buy more for me if I ever run out :P I just started taking it about 2 weeks ago and have not had a crisis since then - which is really a long time for me.

Skbird is also trying it and last time I talked to her it was having similar effects. Maybe she will post here..? (STEPHANIE WHERE ARE YOU? :))

Anyway - I don't think going off the pill has done jack. I'll probably be getting back on it soon. Nothing fun about wanting to have unplanned umm... relations.. and not being able to! ;)

- Michelle :wub:

p.s. I know that I suggest a lot of supplements, and I take a lot of them, but this Brevail stuff is the one thing I make sure I never miss. And if I don't take it at my usual time, I notice it a few hours later. (I start getting irritated/anxious for no reason) I think my body needs it. Who knows! :)

PreOptMegs Explorer

I haven't had a period in well over a year and my doctor told me I was going to have to go on the pill. I am guessing most brands are gluten free?

skbird Contributor

OK, I have to back up Michelle here on Brevail. I have had hormone problems forever it seems and I was on the pill for 13 years. I went off and had a lot of problems so I have gone on and off using progesterone cream which does help some but not with all the symptoms I seem to have (tender breasts, wicked mood swings, incredible insomnia the week before my period, hideous cramps....)

Anyway, Michelle told me about Brevail which is a supplement that is made of flax lignans - something I thought I should be fine with as I take high lignan flax oil every day and also 2 tbsp of finely ground flax meal, but guess that wasn't enough or the right proportions or the right preparation. I started using Brevail about 2 weeks ago and have not had one cranky mood since. My husband is amazed, I am amazed... I seriously spend each day feeling more pleasant. Dumb stuff hasn't been getting me down.

I realize this probably sounds like an infomercial and I apologize for that. I am really impressed so far. I am about 10 days away from the start of my next period so this will be the real test and I'll let you know how it works for me. So far I am still having breast tenderness but my moods are so much better I don't really care...

So there's my testimonial. I'll get back to this thread after I've gone an entire month to give a report. So far I say it's a really good thing.

Stephanie

skbird Contributor

Oh yeah, here's the cheapest place I found for it online - I put "Brevail" in Froogle.com and found this. If you look to the right on the page and save the coupon code, they give you $1 off your order.

Open Original Shared Link

I have absolutely no financial interest in this product and hadn't heard of it until Michelle told me about it. I felt different the very first day I took it. I am surprised that concentracted flax lignans could make such a change in my mood.

Stephanie

Emme999 Enthusiast

LOL I have no financial interest in it either - or any of the other natural healing stuff I suggest :) I just want to share with everybody the stuff that has helped me in hopes that it can help someone else!!

I do have an interview with Wild Oats tomorrow though! But your buying supplements anywhere on the planet is (unfortunately) of no financial benefit to me ;)

Take care :)

- Michelle :wub:

jknnej Collaborator

Well, I am going to go off the pill this week. I'm gonna try it and see how I feel. Hopefully I won't be worse with the mood swings/etc I've been having lately. If anything, I would think I would be better! If I don't see a change in how I feel, I'll just go back on it cus' it's certainly more convenient and makes my periods lighter...we'll see.

I'm going to buy some of that Brevail..sounds interesting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

connole1056 Rookie

Is Brevail a natural supplement? I know you said a supplement, but I am not that knowledgable about these "natural" things. Maybe all supplements are?? The reason I am asking is that I have read countless articles about natural supplements not being FDA regulated and the fact that often times the potency listed on the bottle is so far below what is actually in the product that it is useless to take them. (I know there are reputable companies and I am not criticizing those.) Is this product regulated by the FDA? I do not feel comfortable putting things into my body that do not pass a certain set of standards. This product really does seem to help people though, and that is wonderful. Is it sold under one brand name, or are there many? Or is Brevail the brand name? I could not figure it out from reading the posts.

As for the yeast infections, don't they go away when the period begins? That has been the case with the few I have had. Is it different with chronic infections? Are you saying you have them every day???? If yes, how do you keep yourself sane? No wonder you are depressed or having mood swings! I would not be able to function id I had to put up with that all the time! You ladies deserve alot of credit and have my admiration for life!!!!!!!

I cannot help with the pill issue as I do not take it. I use NFP, natural family planning, and it has always worked for me. For someone coming from a fertile Irish family that's great!! I know some people will not use this method of BC because it does require restraint that they do not wish to exercise. It has been great for me though. All of this talk about the pill makes me happy not to be on it though. I do hope you all get to bottom of these problems. Is there anything listed on the package inserts linking the pill and these problems? It seems like an awful mistake not to list it. I just cannot get over what you are all going through!

jknnej Collaborator

Tell me more about the progesterone creams. I get terrible cramps and mood swings the week before and of my period. What are these creams and how do they help? Where can I get them?

egardner Newbie

Speaking of birth controls, does anyone know which are gluten free? I read a huge list but couldn't find mine- Yasmin, which has potassium and something else good in it. It helps combat the typical weight gain. I can't find it anywhere and thought I would ask before i track down the makers and ask them. Thanks! Good luck to you all with your gilry problems, I just realized how lucky I am to only have to deal with cramps and achiness, I have never had a yeast infection or candiasis yet. And I though I had it rough ;)

skbird Contributor

I learned about the benefits of progesterone cream after my accupunctrist recommended it and loaned me a book by Dr. John Lee, called "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Perimenopause". Anyway, a good resource is his site Open Original Shared Link

If you go to the bottom of the page you will see a quiz you can take to find out if you are estrogen dominant, etc. That can help you decide if progesterone cream is likely of benefit for you. I have used two different brands: I used Emerita's Progest cream and now I'm using something Life-Flo ProgestaCare cream. I switched because the Emerita brand one had parabens in it (propylparaben, etc) which are supposed to act like estrogens in your body and I thought that was defeating the purpose. I didn't see any in the Life-Flo brand. Also, an interesting side note, my cat *hated* the Emerita brand stuff - when I put it on he would *run* out of the room. Don't know why, it is very pleasant smelling. I thought it was the hormone in it. But he doesn't mind the Life-Flo brand at all. So I don't know what the problem was.

It has helped me with premenstrul migraines, breast tenderness, mood, and sleep, as well as swelling in the pelvic area that was making me think I was getting UTIs every month (putting pressure on my bladder). I have only been using it again the last three months - my doctor told me to give it a try again after I went in for the non-UTI. The next month I had no UTI symptoms so I guess it is helping.

Stephanie

Archived