This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sulphur Flatulence

sallyterpsichore

sallyterpsichore Explorer

A quick introduction and some background: I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 3 1/2 years ago and have (very slowly) improved in that time. My antibodies are back into the normal range (well, 25, which is significantly better than when I started and was somewhere >120!). I'm dealing now with several issues and am wondering if they're related.

The first: I have horrible chronic (every day, and about every 15-20 minutes are so) sulphur-smelling flatulence that is hot and hideously smelly. I also have some painful stomach cramps and diarrhea that happen every morning, as well as most evenings. I'm not incontinent, but I do need to get to a bathroom within a minute or so of getting the cramps.

I'm completely staying away from gluten, obviously, but back on dairy (for about 2 1/2 years now) and not avoiding any other allergens. I was tested for fructose intolerance, lactose intolerance, and all of the common food allergens and they all came back negative.

Other recent issues that I'm wondering about their relation to celiac: I recently got "adult acne" on my face out of nowhere (my doc has prescribed it as such, but the treatment worsened it significantly and after stopping the use of the topical meds, my skin is beginning to improve a little). Also, I have some major joint pain, but am seeing an orthopedic surgeon in a couple weeks to do some xrays and tests as I am a regular workout-a-holic. I also get these very sharp shooting pains in my lower back that feel two-pronged...pretty much where the indents in the lower back are located. They're very painful, but pass quickly.

Mostly, the sulphur gas is the main issue here, but if anyone has any ideas about the other issues, please do let me know!

I appreciate all your help. I'm not able to get in to see my gastroenterologist until the end of the month.

~Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

What about soy? Do you eat a fair amount of that--I get breakouts and some gassiness from soy. I even found that I need to stop using topical products that have it--at least things that I use every day.

Korwyn Explorer

A quick introduction and some background: I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 3 1/2 years ago and have (very slowly) improved in that time. My antibodies are back into the normal range (well, 25, which is significantly better than when I started and was somewhere >120!). I'm dealing now with several issues and am wondering if they're related.

The first: I have horrible chronic (every day, and about every 15-20 minutes are so) sulphur-smelling flatulence that is hot and hideously smelly. I also have some painful stomach cramps and diarrhea that happen every morning, as well as most evenings. I'm not incontinent, but I do need to get to a bathroom within a minute or so of getting the cramps.

I'm completely staying away from gluten, obviously, but back on dairy (for about 2 1/2 years now) and not avoiding any other allergens. I was tested for fructose intolerance, lactose intolerance, and all of the common food allergens and they all came back negative.

Other recent issues that I'm wondering about their relation to celiac: I recently got "adult acne" on my face out of nowhere (my doc has prescribed it as such, but the treatment worsened it significantly and after stopping the use of the topical meds, my skin is beginning to improve a little). Also, I have some major joint pain, but am seeing an orthopedic surgeon in a couple weeks to do some xrays and tests as I am a regular workout-a-holic. I also get these very sharp shooting pains in my lower back that feel two-pronged...pretty much where the indents in the lower back are located. They're very painful, but pass quickly.

Mostly, the sulphur gas is the main issue here, but if anyone has any ideas about the other issues, please do let me know!

I appreciate all your help. I'm not able to get in to see my gastroenterologist until the end of the month.

~Sally

Did you get tested for Casein ? I'm not lactose intolerant either, but I AM Casein intolerant. Dairy (Casein) produces violent GI issues for me. Once I went off the Casein and all refined sugars my GI issues cleared up completely.

What about soy? Do you eat a fair amount of that--I get breakouts and some gassiness from soy. I even found that I need to stop using topical products that have it--at least things that I use every day.

I do eat soy, but not in vast amounts and not daily. Oddly, I was going to do a veggie stirfry for dinner tonight, which would normally include soy. Perhaps I should skip it?

jerseyangel Proficient

I do eat soy, but not in vast amounts and not daily. Oddly, I was going to do a veggie stirfry for dinner tonight, which would normally include soy. Perhaps I should skip it?

Gas means you are eating something your body doesn't like. Figuring out exactly what it is can be challenging. I would begin by completely cutting out the soy for a week. At that point you will have a pretty good idea if it's a problem for you. If not, try cutting dairy for a week. Another potential culprit to consider--legumes.

Take a look at what you are eating daily, maybe consider keeping a simple food log.

When you cut something out to do a challenge as well as when you add things back in, it's best to do it one food at a time. It is time consuming, and a bit of a pain in the neck but worth it. :)

conniebky Collaborator

~Sally

Well geez, Sally, with my stomach today and my D and your gas, together we could clear the oil spill outta the ocean, it would just melt away and everything would be back to normal. I don't know WHAT causes that smell, exactly as you described. And I was at work! I know everyone musta been talking about old stink-o me.

I thought maybe it's the new B complex I'm taking - ? are you taking those?

kpryan Apprentice

I would try to give up dairy. I had to give up dairy about 6 months ago and felt a vast improvement with GI symptoms (and acne as well....). Too soy can cause joint pain if you ingest too much...b/c of the isoflavones...

A while ago I was eating a Luna bar and a Choc. Soy milk for snack a day (about 45 isoflavones) and that was causing joint pain...as soon as I stopped the pain disappeared...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

Hi,

A couple of suggestions...eliminate dairy for a while. I found my acne completely cleared up after I stopped ingesting it. Like another poster said, it was the casein for me.

Also, be sure to take a QUALITY probiotic and enzyme with every meal until this starts clearing up. You won't believe how much this will help.

I've been in your shoes before...it's terribly embarrassing and uncomfortable, I know.

Also, I'm a big advocate for purchasing good, quality multi-vitamins. I buy a line that is isotonic so it's super easy to digest and I take it on an empty stomach (it's liquid form). I would also recommend this for the acne...you may not be absorbing the nutrients you need from your food which will wreak havoc on your endocrine system.

Oh, and give up Soy. The Soy we eat in America (soy milk, soy isolate) are fractured foods and have no business being in our bodies. If you continue eating it, I suggest only to eat it in fermented form . . . the way the Asian cultures do. Also, most sold here is genetically modified - a BIG no no, especially for those of us with autoimmune disorders.

These tips will help...I promise. I went through the very same experience! I'm glad to say (and this is the truth)...I RARELY pass gas on any given day. If/when I do, I get suspicious about what I might have accidentally ingested...that's how rare it is altogether.

Mari Explorer

What's happening is that the food you eat is putrifying in your gut. This is caused by bacteria which are digesting the protein in your food. There are various bacteria which do this and indicates that your intestinal bacteria are unbalanced. If this happened after you ate dairy the bacteria is most likely an enteric toxin producing organism from milk. Pasturized milk is not sterile and can carry low levels of these bacteria which a person with normal stomach acids and a healthy intestine won't have a problem with. Some of these organisms are pathogens which won't cause severe symptoms - gastroenteritis - but will hang around inside you until you kill them off and re-establish a good balance of bacteria again. The spice Turmeric will kill off some of them - there are several recepies and information online. Some people also use cinnamon and hot peppers. I also use a special iodine solution safe for humans available online (be sure to follow the directions). Dr. Hulda Clark has a Bowel Program to treat this type of infection.

Some measures to take - Boil all dairy to kill off bacteria to avoid more infections and eat only cooked food until you get better. Kill the bacteria on your hands, counters, all bathroom surfaces - some people use diluted ethyl alcohol or Vodka. You can easily reinfect youself. Never eat with your hands or put fingers in your mouth. Never touch any meat, poultry or fish while preparing them. I wear gloves and work on a newspaper outside on the deck to avoid contaminating counter surfaces.

Take Betaine-HCl or diluted HCl to kill off bacteria in food in the stomach and the top of the small intestine.

Well geez, Sally, with my stomach today and my D and your gas, together we could clear the oil spill outta the ocean, it would just melt away and everything would be back to normal. I don't know WHAT causes that smell, exactly as you described. And I was at work! I know everyone musta been talking about old stink-o me.

I thought maybe it's the new B complex I'm taking - ? are you taking those?

Nope, not taking any B vitamins, other than whatever's in my multi...I can tell you, my dating life has pretty much drowned in the stink. :huh::P

Also, be sure to take a QUALITY probiotic and enzyme with every meal until this starts clearing up. You won't believe how much this will help.

I've been in your shoes before...it's terribly embarrassing and uncomfortable, I know.

Also, I'm a big advocate for purchasing good, quality multi-vitamins.

Oh, and give up Soy.

I cut some of your comments just to clear up any scrolling frustrations people have, but I really appreciate your detailed and thoughtful response. The dairy I currently consume is primarily cheese (cottage and typical cheese) and some occasional Lactaid with my cereal (maybe once a week). If this is a casein issue, I suppose stopping the consumption of those is worth trying again (I LOVE cheese).

As for soy, I do like soy sauce in a stir fry (a couple of times a month) and have discovered that soy lecithan is in tons of things that I consume on an occasional basis(though I mostly make sauces, dressings, etc from scratch).

Several years ago, I cut out dairy and soy and continued to have all of these same problems, so I'm hesitant to cut out the foods I love if I've never experienced the results others have enjoyed.

Still waiting on the fax from the doctor who did my food allergy panel last year to refresh my memory on what I was tested for...

Thank you all for your kind suggestions, advice, and commiserating!

What's happening is that the food you eat is putrifying in your gut. This is caused by bacteria which are digesting the protein in your food. There are various bacteria which do this and indicates that your intestinal bacteria are unbalanced.

I'm confused. I'm taking probiotics daily (Align brand as recommended by my gastroenterologist and nutritionist). Aren't those "good" bacteria meant to balance out the bad that are potentially overrunning in my gut?

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm confused. I'm taking probiotics daily (Align brand as recommended by my gastroenterologist and nutritionist). Aren't those "good" bacteria meant to balance out the bad that are potentially overrunning in my gut?

Sometimes probiotics can cause gas and/or bloating especially while your body is getting used to them. By chance, did the gas problems coincide with when you started the Align?

Just a thought.

Sometimes probiotics can cause gas and/or bloating especially while your body is getting used to them. By chance, did the gas problems coincide with when you started the Align?

Just a thought.

A good thought, too, but unfortunately no. I started Align (as well as regular daily intake of Benefiber) about a year ago, per doctor's orders. And this gas stuff has been going on for maybe 5 months.

Just a FYI, Align contains Milk protein. I use Pearls...they don't contain milk products or other additives.

Probiotic strain: Bifantis (Bifidobacterium infantis 35624), 1 x 109 colony-forming units (1 billion) (4 mg), microcrystalline cellulose (for even dispersal of cultures), hypromellose (vegetarian capsule shell), sugar, magnesium stearate (for even dispersal of cultures), milk protein,

Just a FYI, Align contains Milk protein. I use Pearls...they don't contain milk products or other additives.

Also, a big FYI on the Benefiber - directly from their site:

What type of fiber is Benefiber?

Benefiber contains wheat dextrin, a natural soluble fiber.

If these things aren't helping, also google anti-candida diet.

Per Benefiber: it also says "gluten free" on their label and both my doctor and nutrionist (of the famed "Celiac Center" in Boston) recommended it. I had the same exact concern. Sigh. Now I just don't even know.

To top it off, my stomach just expanded to about twice its girth and I've got super bad pain (possibly heading to a hospital soon-pain) from eating...plain white rice. WTF? I hate this...

rant ended.

conniebky Collaborator

Per Benefiber: it also says "gluten free" on their label and both my doctor and nutrionist (of the famed "Celiac Center" in Boston) recommended it. I had the same exact concern. Sigh. Now I just don't even know.

To top it off, my stomach just expanded to about twice its girth and I've got super bad pain (possibly heading to a hospital soon-pain) from eating...plain white rice. WTF? I hate this...

rant ended.

rant picked up. Dammit! I hate that for you. All you eat was rice? I'm so sorry. Keep us posted.

jerseyangel Proficient

Oye--good catch on the Benefiber. I completely missed it--I know without a doubt that I would react to it. They can put gluten-free on the label, but that doesn't mean people won't react. I don't mean to contradict your doctors, but that could be your culprit right there.

Yes, about two months ago, I got really gassy for a few weeks and realized my new "gluten free" digestive enzymes had something called malt diatese or something and that was my culprit. Stopped taking it and no more problems. I personally wouldn't take anything made from wheat (wheat grass, etc) that is supposedly gluten free...I just don't want the stuff or anything made from it in me.

I'm sorry you are feeling worse. Please keep us updated.

If all these things don't help, please ping me and I will give you one other thing to think about. I just don't want to throw too much on your plate at once.

Korwyn Explorer

Have you considered Candida and/or a bacterial/yeast issue that is preventing you from handling any grains or carbs at all right now?

• 5 years later...
alliebrie08 Newbie
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2010 at 11:51 AM, sallyterpsichore said:

~Sally

I am suffering from the EXACT same issues. Have given up dairy, soy, eggs, legumes, gluten and no improvement. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?

Archived