This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lipton Onion Soup Mix Has Barley In It

Lily127

Lily127 Rookie

I'm new to the Forum and new to having to go Gluten Free. I thought Lipton Onion Soup Mix was Gluten Free. I've looked up so many products I'm not sure where I got that information, but when I went to buy it I read the label and it said Yeast Extract (Barley). So I'm assuming it's not Gluten Free anymore, if it ever was.

Also, was wondering how to do searches that bring up less results? If that's possible. Sometimes I'll search and so many threads will come up I'm not sure where to look first! Thanks. Sorry if everybody already knows about the Lipton

L

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

conniebky Collaborator

I'm new to the Forum and new to having to go Gluten Free. I thought Lipton Onion Soup Mix was Gluten Free. I've looked up so many products I'm not sure where I got that information, but when I went to buy it I read the label and it said Yeast Extract (Barley). So I'm assuming it's not Gluten Free anymore, if it ever was.

Also, was wondering how to do searches that bring up less results? If that's possible. Sometimes I'll search and so many threads will come up I'm not sure where to look first! Thanks. Sorry if everybody already knows about the Lipton

L

Hi! Nice to meetcha!

I didn't know that about the Lipton Onion Soup. I love the dip made with that.

I also didn't know that Yeast Extract was Barley - boy! I had no idea at all about that! I'm new to being gluten-free, too, and I'm with ya on the too many sites come up when trying to search for something.

I wonder if everything with yeast is bad - ? Also I read something about iodine on here, does that include salt?

I'm as lost as you are LOL :D but you sure just taught me something I didn't know!

psawyer Proficient

Yeast is gluten-free, at least to start with. Yeast extract is thus normally gluten-free as well. Occasionally, spent yeast from the beer-brewing process is used when a flavor is desired (as opposed to a leavening agent, for which spent yeast is useless). "Brewer's yeast," or an extract made from it, has been exposed to barely through the brewing process, and are therefore not gluten-free.

This is a change to the ingredients of Lipton Onion Soup--it has historically been gluten-free for as long as I have been on the diet (ten years).

:(:(:angry:

What you have read about iodine is in reference to DH, and it is the elemental iodide that is the issue. Plain salt is sodium chloride (NaCl), but iodized salt contains traces of sodium iodide (NaI). If you are having an active outbreak of DH, iodine will make it worse, but iodine alone does not cause DH--gluten does.

Lily127 Rookie

I'm tempted to drive BACK to the store to double check the box but I swear that's what I saw. I was mightily disappointed as well. I'm craving chips and dip. I used to LOVE Golden Onion Lipton but read that that one had wheat so I decided to go with regular Onion and then I saw the Barley on the label. I have to say if what I saw was correct, I don't understand why a company like Lipton (or Unilever) would, in this day and age of companies striving to offer Gluten Free Products, change their recipe to include Gluten! I'm so bummed!

Yeast is gluten-free, at least to start with. Yeast extract is thus normally gluten-free as well. Occasionally, spent yeast from the beer-brewing process is used when a flavor is desired (as opposed to a leavening agent, for which spent yeast is useless). "Brewer's yeast," or an extract made from it, has been exposed to barely through the brewing process, and are therefore not gluten-free.

This is a change to the ingredients of Lipton Onion Soup--it has historically been gluten-free for as long as I have been on the diet (ten years).

What you have read about iodine is in reference to DH, and it is the elemental iodide that is the issue. Plain salt is sodium chloride (NaCl), but iodized salt contains traces of sodium iodide (NaI). If you are having an active outbreak of DH, iodine will make it worse, but iodine alone does not cause DH--gluten does.

Lily127 Rookie

Hi to everyone by the way!

I should clarify that when I read the label it said Yeast Extract (Barley). It actually said BARLEY on it. I wasn't extrapolating that Yeast Extract is Barley. I would have had no idea Yeast Extract could be bad but it actually said Yeast Extract (Barley). So they were living up to their promise of listing Gluten ingredients I guess. I think I read Unilever made this promise and at least they stuck to it

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow--I can't believe they changed the ingredients to include gluten :angry:

BTW, welcome, Lily :)

sa1937 Community Regular

I just pulled up this website: Open Original Shared Link

soup: page 336 (product alert added 4/26/10)

LIPTON - CLARIFICATION:

Kosher Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix is NOT gluten-free

Regular Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix is gluten-free

Looks like the regular Lipton dry Onion Soup is still gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I just pulled up this website: Open Original Shared Link

soup: page 336 (product alert added 4/26/10)

LIPTON - CLARIFICATION:

Kosher Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix is NOT gluten-free

Regular Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix is gluten-free

Looks like the regular Lipton dry Onion Soup is still gluten free.

Thanks for posting!

Lisa Mentor

In addition, Lipton is an Unilever Company and their policy is to always list clearly, ALL forms of gluten if used as an ingredient. So, all you have to do is read the labels. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

She did read the label and it listed barley, only she was reading the Kosher version. It was a product mix-up.

conniebky Collaborator

I do have DH on my elbow. I have Morton's Salt and I also have Sea Salt, which states that it has no iodine, "a necessary nutrient".

Could it be that's why my elbow has gotten better since gong gluten-free but keeps coming back - because of the iodine? Maybe I should stick just to the sea salt?

Lily127 Rookie

Ok guys, LOL. I just walked two miles to recheck the box.

Ok, first I decided that the local bodega would probably still have the old formation and it did. Ingredients: Onions, Salt, Cornstarch, Onion Powder, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Caramel Color, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate

Then I walked the rest of the 2 miles to Shop & Stop and looked at the soups and Autolyzed Yeast Extract (Barley) was listed (like the 5th ingredient down).

Now, LOL, I did not check to see if it was Kosher but I looked at the front of the box and did not see any added information (like Kosher) but I guess tomorrow I'll go BACK and check again. Not tonight, gotta take a shower. I'm sweating. So perhaps the box I saw is the Kosher formation. If it is, I didn't see Kosher!!

Hey I guess I could use the exercize anyway!

Lisa Mentor

She did read the label and it listed barley, only she was reading the Kosher version. It was a product mix-up.

Just speaking in general terms, regarding Unilever :D

SuperMolly Apprentice

All I know is that I gave up on eating Lipton Onion Soup mix a couple years ago because every time I ate it I got sick. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it has gluten in it.

jerseyangel Proficient

All I know is that I gave up on eating Lipton Onion Soup mix a couple years ago because every time I ate it I got sick. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it has gluten in it.

It is manufactured with products that contain wheat so you may have been reacting to that (cross contamination) if you're sensitive. It also contains soy which certain people can be intolerant to.

Lily127 Rookie

Ok I went BACK to the store and checked every inch of that box. It doesn't say Kosher on it anywhere. I studied it for like 5 minutes. So I'm not sure what is going on.

I also had a slight reaction to the dip and chips last night (lays) but that could just be because the onion gave me heartburn (no diarrhea). But honestly, I don't see Kosher anywhere on that box!

Lisa Mentor

Here is Lipton's contact information:

Open Original Shared Link

Consumer Service

If you would like to speak to a live representative please call us at:

1-877-995-4490, Monday - Friday, 8:30a.m. - 6:00p.m. EST.

Confirmed by Lipton by phone today (after holding for a half hour), only Lipton Dry Mix ONION is the only remaining mix that continues to be gluten free. There has been no ingredient change and all gluten related-natural flavoring will be identified on the label, as is the policy of Unilever.

The customer representative did not have an ingredients listing for the Kosher Lipton Dry Mix.

Hope this is helpful.

psawyer Proficient

Thanks, Lisa. :)

Jestgar Rising Star

Ok I went BACK to the store and checked every inch of that box. It doesn't say Kosher on it anywhere. I studied it for like 5 minutes. So I'm not sure what is going on.

I also had a slight reaction to the dip and chips last night (lays) but that could just be because the onion gave me heartburn (no diarrhea). But honestly, I don't see Kosher anywhere on that box!

It may just have a circle with a k in it Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor

Thanks, Lisa. :)

You're welcome Peter. I would also encourage all members to call companies. But, as I have also mentioned in the past, your information is only as good as your customer representative you speak with. Use multiple sources and personal experience, then make a choice. It's not a perfect world. What is black and white for one, is very gray for others. And, a product does not always pin-point an issue.

I am not sensitive to cross contamination, and I often do forget that others are. I am sorry for my oversight in that area. ;)

Lily127 Rookie

Thanks for the information Lisa and for calling them! That was nice of you!

I guess reading labels is still the most important thing. If you just pick up a box or a jar of something without a label check something could go wrong.

The boxes I saw were probably Kosher but for the life of me it's not very evident. I'm somewhat familiar with Kosher symbols and didn't seem to see one so I'm glad I read the label (ingredients) :)

L

Here is Lipton's contact information:

Open Original Shared Link

Consumer Service

If you would like to speak to a live representative please call us at:

1-877-995-4490, Monday - Friday, 8:30a.m. - 6:00p.m. EST.

Confirmed by Lipton by phone today (after holding for a half hour), only Lipton Dry Mix ONION is the only remaining mix that continues to be gluten free. There has been no ingredient change and all gluten related-natural flavoring will be identified on the label, as is the policy of Unilever.

The customer representative did not have an ingredients listing for the Kosher Lipton Dry Mix.

Hope this is helpful.

psawyer Proficient

It may just have a circle with a k in it Open Original Shared Link

Another symbol on kosher food is a P in a circle, meaning parve. Parve (neutral) foods are kosher and are neither meat nor dairy. Meat and dairy cannot be combined, but parve foods can be used in combination with either.

• 1 month later...
Beth41777 Rookie

I also read the label recently when I went to buy some lipton onion soup mix and it definitely said barley!

psawyer Proficient

I also read the label recently when I went to buy some lipton onion soup mix and it definitely said barley!

If this is so, then the gluten-free status has changed. Barley is kosher, but not gluten-free. :(:angry:

sa1937 Community Regular

I have a new box of Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix I just picked up and see the ingredients have changed. This one contains autolyzed yeast extract (barley).

Guess that means I give it away, huh? Dammit!!!

Archived