This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lipton Onion Soup Mix Has Barley In It

Lily127

Lisa Mentor

I have a new box of Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix I just picked up and see the ingredients have changed. This one contains autolyzed yeast extract (barley).

Guess that means I give it away, huh? Dammit!!!

Is it possible that autolyzed yeast extract, is so processed that the offending gluten is removed.

I will research and post what I find.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I believe, but am not certain, that autolyzed yeast process removes the offending protein, which is dangerous to those with Celiac, regardless of the source.

I will research and post what I find.

Thanks, Lisa! I'll look forward to reading what you find out. The word "barley" certainly sends up red flags for me.

I also have an older unopened box of this soup mix and the ingredient list has definitely changed. At least Unilever is good about listing the ingredients. I bought the new box without even looking at the ingredients after a recent discussion on this list about regular Lipton onion soup still being safe (but not the Kosher). Regardless of any box or can, I always re-read the ingredient list of any product before I use it.

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Yeast

All brand-name packaged yeasts sold in the US are gluten free. Autolyzed yeast in a food product is generally considered gluten free. Brewers' yeast, when it's a by-product of beer, is not considered gluten free. Brewers yeast nutritional supplements, however, can be made from either brewer's yeast or sugar. If made from sugar, they are gluten free.

Here is a "little" something... although it says "generally", let's clear that up.

From here:

Ok, I know that Wiki is not the best source, but this is science on the process:

Open Original Shared Link

Yeast extract

Main article: Yeast extract

Marmite and Vegemite have a distinctive dark colour

Marmite and Vegemite, products made from yeast extract

Yeast extract is the common name for various forms of processed yeast products that are used as food additives or flavours. They are often used in the same way that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used, and like MSG, often contain free glutamic acid. The general method for making yeast extract for food products such as Vegemite and Marmite on a commercial scale is to add salt to a suspension of yeast making the solution hypertonic, which leads to the cells shrivelling up. This triggers autolysis, where the yeast's digestive enzymes break their own proteins down into simpler compounds, a process of self-destruction. The dying yeast cells are then heated to complete their breakdown, after which the husks (yeast with thick cell walls which would give poor texture) are separated. Yeast autolysates are used in Vegemite and Promite (Australia); Marmite, Bovril and Oxo (the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland and South Africa); and Cenovis (Switzerland)

(the bold is mine)...thus, my non-scientific brain tells me that the offending (barley) proteins are no longer a danger to my body due to the fact that the autolysis yeast is rendered gluten free, through this process.

:D:blink:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think folks should use caution with this product. I know that technically it can be considered the 'gluten is processed out' but personally I would avoid the product the same as I avoid codex wheat starch.

sa1937 Community Regular

I think I'll skip it as I have enough problems as it is. We could probably make our own using Herb-Ox instant beef bouillon and dried instant minced onions. It's just so darn convenient to have the onion soup mix on hand, not that I use that much of it.

I just noticed that it also contains soy (also true for the Herb-Ox chicken bouillon)...just what I need when I'm trying to figure out what my problems are. ph34r.gif

Stacy hated pancake Sunday Newbie

Thank you OP for posting this...DH has been on an onion soup dip kick lately...I react but have been blaming it on everything but gluten(hormones, inconsiderate non dishwasher fixing husband, the heat, etc.) I read our boxes(regular... I do have the kosher labeled version sitting on my shelf being ignored for comparisons sake) and they definitely mention barley and the potential of cc in their facility.

I was eating basic food for months and was losing weight ...since I start getting brave about things packaged in cardboard and plastic with more than 3 ingredients the weight loss stopped. Time to go back to just meat, eggs, fruit and veggies...

Archived