This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pf Changs

modiddly16

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I went to the PF Changs in Towson, MD this weekend while I was in town visiting some friends and it turned out to be quite a frustrating trip. We got it to go, because I still, even after 6 1/2 years, would rather eat in the comfort of a home or hotel rather then at a restaurant. We ordered the gluten-free lettuce wraps, gluten-free siganpore street noodles, gluten-free chocolate dome and not gluten-free dali chicken.

The dessert and lettuce wraps had GLUTEN FREE written in sharpie on the lid....the noodles and the dali chicken didn't. THe receipt said that the noodles were gluten free but I made the judgement call not to eat them because they weren't labeled that way on the container. Does anyone know the difference between the gluten-free and non-gluten-free ones?

I was just really frustrated because this place is NOT cheap and I didn't even get to eat my meal. Luckily, I just hoarded the lettuce wraps for myself and that was plenty but I had to fight people off for that!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ltaylor882 Newbie

I went to the PF Changs in Towson, MD this weekend while I was in town visiting some friends and it turned out to be quite a frustrating trip. We got it to go, because I still, even after 6 1/2 years, would rather eat in the comfort of a home or hotel rather then at a restaurant. We ordered the gluten-free lettuce wraps, gluten-free siganpore street noodles, gluten-free chocolate dome and not gluten-free dali chicken.

The dessert and lettuce wraps had GLUTEN FREE written in sharpie on the lid....the noodles and the dali chicken didn't. THe receipt said that the noodles were gluten free but I made the judgement call not to eat them because they weren't labeled that way on the container. Does anyone know the difference between the gluten-free and non-gluten-free ones?

I was just really frustrated because this place is NOT cheap and I didn't even get to eat my meal. Luckily, I just hoarded the lettuce wraps for myself and that was plenty but I had to fight people off for that!

That's unfortunate you had a negative experience at PF Changs. I've been eating there for a little bit now and I have never had any problems. They always put bright orange stickers on the containers that say gluten-free and when I am picking it up they always go through the order with me so I can see everything is gluten-free. And as for the difference between the gluten-free and not gluten-free noodles, I would assume the wheat comes from the sauce. If it were me though, I would have gone back to the restaurant and made them make me a new order with gluten-free ingredients. Oh, and I would try the fried rice with chicken and veggies, it's delicious =).

Jencat Rookie

I have had no problem with PF Changs so far. Love asian cuisine and the fact that they have gluten-free options was like a dream come true. I ordered a gluten-free egg drop soup once and it was not labeled so I verified with the server and she checked with the cook to make sure.I had no issues. :D

Skylark Collaborator

PF Chang is safe for me too. I've never done carry-out there so I don't know how consistent they are about labeling. In the restaurant, they use a different plate so you know for sure.

In the street noodles, it's probably the kind of soy sauce.

You got the best part of the meal anyway. The street noodles are good, but the lettuce wraps are to die for. :)

mushroom Proficient

Do they have tasty dishes without soy sauce?? I never try going there because I would have no idea what to order. I stay clear of most ethnic cuisines for this reason. They all seem to have soy or nightshades or citrus....

miles2go Contributor

Have you ever thought of bringing your own fish sauce or your own homemade soy sauce substitute? Seems like I ran into a recipe when my soy issues were flaring and

this one looks close. I would think that it would work fine with mushroom Better Than Bouillon for a vegetarian version...

Open Original Shared Link

Papi Newbie

Do they have tasty dishes without soy sauce?? I never try going there because I would have no idea what to order. I stay clear of most ethnic cuisines for this reason. They all seem to have soy or nightshades or citrus....

The nice thing about PFC is that they have a specific gluten-free menu page. There is no guessing. I take my wife there often and they bring out gluten-free sauces for her and non-gluten-free sauces for me and the rest of my family. They are very accommodating and I will continue to support them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I'm not knocking PF Changs in any way. I didn't get sick with what I ate, I was just curious if anyone had an issue when they ordered take out with mislabeling or anything. I wanted to avoid getting sick, so I just didn't eat anything. I love PF Changs because I trust them, I just couldn't go back to the restaurant because it wasn't close to me when I got home and realized, wasn't worth a 2 hour trip back to the place just to see!

• 1 month later...
GFCFFoodie Newbie

I don't know about their noodles - haven't tried them. But I've loved the gluten-free dishes that I've gotten there!

P.S. They have a gluten-free soy sauce.

conniebky Collaborator

I eat there so much they sent me a PF Changs card so now I get 10% off of everything I eat. The one I go to is VERY gluten knowledgable.

I eat their gluten-free fried rice, the singapore noodles and lettuce wraps all the time and I never have had a reaction.

I always get it to go and they put big orange stickers on everything that says gluten-free.

Also, their gluten-free soy sauce is WAY better than regular. Much better flavor.

I had my birthday party there, too, and they were on spot.

Maybe it depends on who's in charge .

MonKol Rookie

Great experience at Sawgrass Mills, FL and Miami, FL. My husband and I generally only eat out when we are working away from home, we don't like the risk factor but pf chang's has been great both times and i am starting to get those old chinese cravings back i used to get years ago. Sawgrass Mills was slow, my parents were visiting and Outback was closed so we tried PF for the first time, apart from the slow service it was great. The second time in Miami was take out on my birthday and was so impressed by the efforts taken to use special dishes and give us gluten free extras like soy sauce. Again, no stomach problems.

I still choose to cook at home, its safer and healthier but every now and again, PF Changs is a nice treat!

scarlett77 Apprentice

Honestly, I would have called and asked because they have ALWAYS put labels on mine and I would be highly suspicious if the labels were missing. Like you I wouldn't have trusted the non-labeled ones. I don't think you can tell the difference between gluten-free Singapore Street Noodles and the regular ones with gluten. I know the Mongolian beef is the same way, unless it was labeled I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. We always get their take out (I prefer not to eat in the restaurant with 2 toddlers).

I would like to add though that I have always had very good service from every location we have been to. When we were in Anaheim I had called to place a takeout order. The girl confirmed everything including the location with me. When I went to pick up the girl at the take out counter said she didn't not have any gluten-free orders or any orders with my name or#. She expedited the order and verified with the chef and I got piping hot wonderful gluten-free meal with free egg drop soup in 10-15 minutes. They have always bent over backwards for me.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I've never had a label on my PF Changs order, is this something recent?

tarnalberry Community Regular

I also have never had labels on anything at PF Changs. I haven't eaten there in six months or so, but still...

• 4 weeks later...
katelynne06 Newbie

Horrible experience at the PF Chang's in Las Vegas. Got very sick. I am also casein free and the waiter lied about the dessert saying he asked the chef and it had no dairy. The chef came out, very ignorant to food allergies, unconfident. I was sick the rest of the evening. I might give them a second chance at home in hopes that it was just the Las Vegas restaurant, not a gluten-free friendly city!!! I just feel like there is to much room for cross contamination and all the sauces make me very nervous.

G-FreeGirl Newbie

Before going gluten-free I LOVED PF Chang's. Recently I went to their restaurant in Pasadena,CA and ordered the Mongolian Beef & the Garlic Snap Peas from their gluten-free menu...both tasted great but I got sick afterwards. All I could think of was they cooked my food right after cooking something that had gluten but I'll never know for sure. Since there are so many positive comments, I will give them another try one of these days.

kareng Grand Master

They have special pans that I think are even a different color to cook the gluten-free food in. That's what I heard. They always forget & give me the fortune cookies which are not gluten-free. :huh:

Archived