This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

As Promised, A Few Recipes

tarnalberry

jerseyangel Proficient

Armetta--Someone posted this a while ago and I copied it down but have not tried it. It's for a soy sauce substitute--

2 cups beef broth

2 teaspoons cider vinegar

1 teaaspoon molassas

1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

dashes of pepper, onion powder and garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Boil (gently) uncovered until reduced to 1/2 cup. Store in fridge.

Another thing I do for stir fries is to throw in a small can of unsweetened crushed pineapple with the juice--that give you some liquid to work off of.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mouse Enthusiast

Thanks Tiffany and Patti. Someone suggested the Bragg's and hubby bought some when he went to the HF store for me. More money down the drain. I printed the recipe out Patti. And no I am not going to use the Bragg's. I am REALLY going totally soy, dairy and corn free.

Patti, how long can it be refrigerated?

I just read the label "made from hearty soybeans".

lindalee Enthusiast
Armetta--Someone posted this a while ago and I copied it down but have not tried it. It's for a soy sauce substitute--

2 cups beef broth

2 teaspoons cider vinegar

1 teaaspoon molassas

1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

dashes of pepper, onion powder and garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Boil (gently) uncovered until reduced to 1/2 cup. Store in fridge.

Another thing I do for stir fries is to throw in a small can of unsweetened crushed pineapple with the juice--that give you some liquid to work off of.

This is a definite keeper if its good!!! LL

kabowman Explorer

That is the alternate soy sauce recipe that I used - it worked really well - even my soy sauce loving hubby loved this. We actually went a little crazy for about 2 weeks with this recipe!!!

Tiffany, can you post your regular pasta sauce too? Or, is it the same as your lasagna sauce...thanks.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Tiffany, can you post your regular pasta sauce too? Or, is it the same as your lasagna sauce...thanks.

'regular' pasta sauce?! hehehe... all these recipes aren't recipes that I cook from, they come from me making something from whatever's in the kitchen (or in my brain), and saying "oh, that turned out well, I'll post the ingredients I used". so I really don't have a 'regular' pasta sauce. I have, like... five, or six, or seven fairly standard 'ideas' I'll put together depending on how much time I have and what flavor I'm looking for and who I'm cooking for and what time of year it is.

can you give me a better idea what you're looking for?

just a plain vegetarian tomato sauce for putting over a long pasta? in that case, I'd use something like this (with or without that much garlic), but not cooked down quite as thick.

a tomato sauce for putting over shaped noodles being served as it's own meal for vegetarians? then also something like this, but not cooked down quite as much, but with added veggies (likely the vegetables put in the lasagna, and onions).

a tomato based sauce for a full meal for a hungry non-vegetarian crowd? ditto above, but with ground turkey. I thought I had this somewhere in the list - you might check the first page, it's got a directory listing of all but the last few recipes.

if it's the middle of tomato season, however, I go all scratch, and cook from fresh tomatoes, and then go pretty much tomato, garlic, fresh basil, and salt.

kabowman Explorer

OK, I am looking for a pasta sauce that I can serve over spiral pasta - we add ground meat over the top of that, then the sauce.

One that is fairly chunky - I don't usually cook from recipes too much either, once I get the feel for what I am doing - like my homemade breakfast sausage, BBQ sauce, etc. is never the same twice but they are always good so I know about adding things on the fly.

I really want to try one and once I get a basic idea down (I will add a lot of garlic because that is what I do and have finally converted my husband), I will experiement from there with veggies and various extras - just no cheese, hubby can add his stuff on the table, doesn't even like real parmesan, only uses stuff from the can/bottle, ick.

I guess what I really need is, how long to cook the tomatoes (can I just heat them lightly or do they need to cook for a little while), how small to chop, should the be peeled first, should I add tomato paste? Etc...really basic stuff - I can go from there. I have all fresh herbs this time of the year and dry my own in the late summer for winter time.

BTW, I love all your recipes and appreciate the help. I have been afraid to try dairy free lasagna but plan on that this weekend - half with meat, half with veggies.

OK, I am looking for a pasta sauce that I can serve over spiral pasta - we add ground meat over the top of that, then the sauce.

I really want to try one and once I get a basic idea down (I will add a lot of garlic because that is what I do and have finally converted my husband), I will experiement from there with veggies and various extras -

I guess what I really need is, how long to cook the tomatoes (can I just heat them lightly or do they need to cook for a little while), how small to chop, should the be peeled first, should I add tomato paste? Etc...really basic stuff - I can go from there. I have all fresh herbs this time of the year and dry my own in the late summer for winter time.

I'll bet you knew I was going to say this, but there is no right answer.

Well, there is one definitive answer in all of that:

**always peel the tomatoes before using in a sauce, unless you're not cooking them at all**

Other than that, tomatoes work a lot like apples when making apple sauce - they'll cook down on their own if you let them, but you don't have to cook them down. So, if you want a fresh, summery, light taste, don't cook long, and leave them big and solid, but if you want a heartier, richer sauce, cut however, and cook for a long time (like, three to four hours) and they'll mash down n their own.

Tomato paste can be useful for some shorter cooking time recipes when you want the longer cooking time taste, but it's necessary. It's also useful as a thickener if you're having trouble cooking down the liquid in what you're making.

So, here's three options, a lighter one (that I would ordinarily _not_ serve with meat nor would I add vegetables, but if I did, it would only be a small amount of ground turkey or chicken - beef or pork or buffalo would be too heavy), one with buffalo meat that uses canned tomatoes ('cause sometimes, you're in a hurry), and one general one that's good for adding other meats and vegetables (I particularly like zucchini (and other summer squash), mushrooms, carrots (sliced thin, not cubed), and bell peppers). (As always YMMV with spices, so taste as you go... you know the drill. :-) )

Fresh Pomodoro Sauce

Ingredients

-----------

20 roma tomatoes

5-8 cloves garlic, crushed

2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp salt

Directions

----------

0. While the water in the next step is boiling, prepare a large bowl in the sink filled with ice and water.

1. Boil a very large pot of water, and blanch the tomatoes in the boiling water for 30 seconds at a time, just until you see the skin split. Then take the tomatoes out and transfer them to the ice bath to cool.

2. Peel and seed the tomatoes.

3. Chop the tomatoes coarsely, into approximately 1/2" cubes, reserving in a strainer.

4. Heat a large skillet, on high, and add the oil, then the garlic, sauteeing only briefly.

5. Add the tomatoes and salt, and cook, stirring constantly, until just heated through.

6. Stir in basil, turn off heat, and serve over pasta (or bread, or vegetables, or chicken, or whatever) immediately.

Quick Meaty Pasta Sauce

Ingredients

-----------

1/2 lb buffalo meat (thawed, if frozen)

1/2 tbsp olive oil

1 28oz can stewed tomatoes

1/4 can tomato paste

1/2 onion, chopped

1/2 tsp garlic salt

1/4 tsp ground sage

1/2 tsp dried rosemary (crush first)

1 tsp dried basil

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp cumin

1 tbsp fresh basil (optional, but tasty)

Directions

----------

1. Brown the meat in the oil.

2. Add all other ingredients except basil and tomato paste.

3. Simmer for a few minutes, until onions are cooked through.

4. Stir in tomato paste until it's the desired consistency.

5. Remove from heat, stir in the basil, and serve over warm pasta or rice immediately.

General Marinara Sauce

Ingredients

-----------

~5-6lbs fresh tomatoes (roma preferred) (or 48oz canned stewed/whole tomatoes)

2 tbsp olive oil

6-10 cloves garlic, crushed

1 small white onion, chopped

1 1/2 tbsp fresh basil or 1/2 tbsp dried basil

1 1/2 tbsp fresh oregano or 1/2 tbsp dried oregano

1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme 1/2 tbsp dried thyme

1 tbsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed

1 tbsp fresh sage or 1 tsp dried sage, crushed

1/2 tbsp fresh majoram or 1/4 tsp ground majoram

1/2 tsp salt

Directions

----------

0. Blanch, peel, seed, and chop tomatoes.

1. Sweat onion and garlic in olive oil until very fragrant.

2. Add tomotoes..

3. Bring to a simmer and maintain a bare simmer until reduced. (Add dried herbs no later than two hours in, add fresh herbs no sooner than half an hour before it's done.)

4. When as thick as desired (~3-4 hours), serve over pasta, millet, rice, whatever.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast
Beef Jerky (The Original Recipe)

1 London Broil

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup worchester sauce

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

optional - 1 teaspon crushed chili flakes or 1/2 tsp cayanne pepper

1. Slice meat approx 1/4" thick across grain.

2. Combine all maranade ingrediants, place in a dish, and cover

3. Place in refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours

4. Stir whenever you think about it

5. Place meat on oven rack

6. Set the oven to ~125-150F (warm setting on electric oven), keeping the door slightly open (you can use a folded up paper towl to prop the door open)

7. Leave in the oven for 3-6 hours or until meat is dry (check occasionally - time varies significantly depending on humidity and your oven).

These are great recipes, i don't know why I didn't notice this thread before! Thanks for posting :)

Where did you find a gluten free worcestershire sauce? I haven't seen any in my area.

penguin Community Regular
These are great recipes, i don't know why I didn't notice this thread before! Thanks for posting :)

Where did you find a gluten free worcestershire sauce? I haven't seen any in my area.

Lea & Perrins (in the US) is gluten-free. It has gluten in Canada.

kabowman Explorer

Your jerky recipe is very similar to my hubbys but I think he adds a little brown sugar to his, if he ever thought to right it down - he also is a throw things together kind of cook. He has the meat shop slice the meat for him now, before, he would freeze it about half way to make the slicing easier. He would make up about 10lbs of fresh into jerky and bag and gift give for holidays. He still has people beg for it...so every holiday, we make up a really big batch and before a hiking trip, he makes more.

The tomato sauce recipes were perfect!!! Thanks and will be trying those out this next week!

Lea & Perrins (in the US) is gluten-free. It has gluten in Canada.

Yep, that's what I use. Someone (Annie's?) makes an organic, gluten-free worchester sauce as well, though I don't think it tastes as good.

Your jerky recipe is very similar to my hubbys but I think he adds a little brown sugar to his, if he ever thought to right it down - he also is a throw things together kind of cook. He has the meat shop slice the meat for him now, before, he would freeze it about half way to make the slicing easier.

Growing up, we had an electric slicer; I should get one of my own. :-)

Yeah, I hope to work on some additional recipes. This is a very classic, standard, and salty recipe, but I've come to appreciate the sweeter, and less salty varieties.

Green12 Enthusiast
I use McCormick's or Spice Hunter, but that's just my preference. The liquid smoke I've always gotten (and is gluten-free - haven't seen one that isn't) doesn't need to be refrigerated, but I haven't made jerky in a while... :-)

This is regarding the liquid smoke, I couldn't tell if you were talking about the liquid smoke or soy sauce that you buy is from McCormicks or Spice Hunter? This is gluten-free also?

I am making my family's traditional brisket recipe that calls for worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke, I assumed these both had gluten so I have been leaving them out. I'm excited if I can use them again, it makes for a great tasting brisket :)

This is regarding the liquid smoke, I couldn't tell if you were talking about the liquid smoke or soy sauce that you buy is from McCormicks or Spice Hunter? This is gluten-free also?

I am making my family's traditional brisket recipe that calls for worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke, I assumed these both had gluten so I have been leaving them out. I'm excited if I can use them again, it makes for a great tasting brisket :)

The dried spices I use are either McCormick's or Spice Hunter.

I use Lea & Perrin's Worchestershire Sauce (US), and San-J Wheat Free Tamari.

I don't remember the brand of liquid smoke I've used, but it was gluten-free.

Green12 Enthusiast
The dried spices I use are either McCormick's or Spice Hunter.

I use Lea & Perrin's Worchestershire Sauce (US), and San-J Wheat Free Tamari.

I don't remember the brand of liquid smoke I've used, but it was gluten-free.

Thanks for clarifying, I'm on a hunt for gluten-free liquid smoke now :)

KayJay Enthusiast

Thank you so much! Last week I got my menu from your list and it was all a BIG hit in my family. Thanks :D

Thank you so much! Last week I got my menu from your list and it was all a BIG hit in my family. Thanks :D

I'm glad they enjoyed it! :-)

barilla Explorer

This is awesome!! Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...

Lowish Sugar Blackberry Cobbler

(gluten, dairy, corn, nut, egg free - NOT dairy and soy free unless you find a dairy & soy free margarine sub)

Serves 6-10

Ingredients

------------

filling:

4 cups blackberries (pick 'em fresh if you can!)

1 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 - 2/3 cup honey

1/4 cup cold water

3 tbsp sweet rice flour

topping:

1/3 cup montina flour (or use all sweet rice flour)

2/3 cup sweet rice flour

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

6 tbsp cold butter or dairy-free margarine

1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar

scant 1/4 cup boiling water

optionally: 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar

Directions

----------

0. Preheat the oven to 400F (375F convection).

1. Combine flours, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl.

2. Cut cold butter or margarine into the flour until it looks like crumbles.

3. Slowly mix in water until the mixture is evenly wet (will probably not take all of the water - you don't want it smooth, but more like very large crumbles)

4. Mix the 3 tbsp sweet rice flour into the cold water

5. Rinse and drain the berries, then put in a glass pie pan (or other suitable baking dish), and pour the sweet rice flour mixture over, then add the lemon juice. Mix gently.

6. Drizzle the honey over the berries somewhat evenly.

7. Drop the topping over the top of the berries in small drops.

8. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, checking to make sure the crust doesn't burn. (You can line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the pie tin on the baking dish if the pie tin is in danger of bubbling over while cooking to avoid nasty messes.)

9. Optionally: Sprinkle a tablespoon or two of powdered sugar over the cobbler after taking it out of the oven.

10. Serve warm or cold. With ice cream or on it's own. With a sprig of mint, or just a fork.

• 7 months later...

Banana Muffins with Optional Chocolate Chips

makes 24 muffins

(modified from the Montina flour recipe book - high fiber and protein)

Ingredients

-----------

6 medium very ripe bananas

1/2 cup canola oil (or nut oil)

1/2 cup milk/milk substitute (like almond milk)

1/2 cup honey

2 eggs

2 cups montina flour

2/3 cup flax meal

1/2 cup sweet rice flour

2 tbsp baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

1 tbsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/2 cup chocolate chips (like Tropical Source's) (optional)

Directions

----------

0. Preheat the oven to 375F. (350F convection)

1. Mash the bananas up to the desired consistency.

2. Combine all the wet ingredients together.

3. Combine the dry ingredients together, except the chocolate chips, in a separate bowl.

4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mixed, taking care to not over mix. the batter will be fairly wet.

5. Spoon into 24 regular sized muffin tin spaces.

6. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the muffins - either all of them, or just a half batch.

7. Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes, letting cool for a few minutes when done before moving to a cooling rack.

Thai Vegetable Curry

serves 4

Ingredients

------------

1 block tofu, drained, and cut into ~1/2" blocks

1 red pepper, cut into ~1" squares

1 carrot, cut into thin slices

1 zucchini, cut into thin slices

3 stalks bok choy, washed and chopped into 1/2" pieces

1 portabello mushroom, cut into 1/2" by 2" strips

1 piece ginger, peeled and sliced into thin strips

5-6 basil leaves, sliced thin

1 can coconut milk

1-2 tbsp red curry paste from Thai Kitchen

1 tbsp canola oil

Directions

----------

1. Prepare the tofu and vegetables as directed above.

2. Mix the curry, starting with 1 tbsp with a small amount of coconut milk to make it liquid.

3. Heating a large skillet, heat the oil and ginger.

4. Start by adding the carrot.

5. Add the coconut milk, tofu, basil, mushroom, and curry mixture (adding more to taste, if necessary).

6. After a minute, add the bok choy, then the zucchini.

7. After another two minutes, add the red pepper, and turn off the heat.

8. Serve over rice or on itw own. Add other vegetables (celery, bamboo shoots, etc.) if desired in the cooking process.

• 3 months later...

Chicken Quinoa Risotto

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

----------

4-6 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)

1 cup arborio rice (risotto)

1/2 cup quinoa

1/2 onion

1 carrot

1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tbsp fresh oregano)

1 tsp dried thyme (or 1 tbsp fresh thyme)

1/2 tsp dried sage (or 1/4 tsp crushed sage or 1/2 tbsp fresh sage)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 boullion cube

6 cups water

Directions

----------

0. Preheat the oven to 350F.

1. Dice the onion and carrot. (Also chop the herbs if using fresh.)

2. In a large, oven-safe, dish (I like a round one, but whatever), combine the rice, quinoa, and spices, and mix them together.

3. Place the chicken thighs on top of the rice/quinoa mixture, in a single layer (make sure the pan is big enough for this).

4. Add the boullion cube and the water.

5. Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour, checking the chicken at that time to see that it's done.

6. Stir the rice around a bit before serving.

Tropical Popsicles

Serves 6

Ingredients

-----------

1 mango

1 banana

1 can coconut milk

Directions

----------

1. Peel and cut the mango and banana.

2. Blend all ingredients thoroughly.

3. Freeze in popsicle molds (like these <A href = Open Original Shared Link ones</A>!) for a few hours.

(alternatively, use in an ice cream maker, or put in the freezer and stir every hour or so until frozen for "ice cream")

Chicken Chard Soup

Serves 2-3

Ingredients

-----------

2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)

4 leaves chard

4 garlic scapes (Whole Foods has them, if you can't find them, it's pretty different, but two cloves of garlic will do)

buollion or broth (1 boullion cube, or 1-2 tablespoons boullion powder, or 4 cups broth)

water

Directions

----------

1. In a soup pot, simmer chicken, with boullion or broth and enough water to cover the chicken. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes to cook through.

2. While that cooks, wash and slice chard - first in half length wise, then into thin strips.

3. Dice garlic scapes (or crush garlic).

4. When chicken is done, take it out and shred it with a fork.

5. Return everything to the pot, adding as much water as desired for consistency, and bring back to a simmer for 2-3 minutes to cook the chard.

6. Serve!

• 9 months later...

Salmon Pasta Salad

Serves 2-4

Ingredients

-----------

1lb salmon fillet (tail piece to assure no bones, de-skin)

1 red bell pepper (alternatively, use carrots)

1/2 large sweet onion

1 bunch broccolini (baby broccoli)

1/2 bag Tinkyada spirals

2 tbsp canola oil

lemon juice

garlic salt

Dressing Ingredients

--------------------

1/3 cup olive oil

1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar (can use regular balsamic)

2 tbsp regular balsamic vinegar

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp sage

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp dried onion

1/2 tsp rosemary

1/2 tsp basil

1/2 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp marjoram

1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions

----------

1. Combine all dressing ingredients into a container with a sealable lid (so it can be shaken). This recipe will make enough for 2-3 pasta salads, or you can use it for other things.

2. Slice the salmon in to thin pieces, about 1" x 1" by 1/4", or whatever smallish size you prefer.

3. Slice the onion into long 1/4" strips.

4. Slice the bell pepper (or carrot) into long 1/4" strips.

5. Cut the broccolini (or baby broccoli) into 1-1 1/2" stem pieces, and separate florette pieces.

*Set a pot of water to boil for the pasta.*

6. To a hot skillet, add the canola oil, then the salmon. Let it cook for ~1-2 min on high.

7. Add the lemon juice, and stir the salmon (it may require some unsticking.

8. Add the onion, (carrot if you're using it), and broccolini stem pieces, stir to combine. Let cook for ~30seconds.

9. Add the broccolini stems and garlic salt, stir to combine. Let cook for ~1 min.

10. Add the bell pepper (if using). Let cook for ~30sec, turn off heat, and cover.

11. Add pasta to boiling water, cook for 10-15 minutes, removing when just al dente (start tasting at 10 minutes - yes, I know the package says 15).

12. Rinse pasta under warm water, shake out well, pour into a large bowl.

13. Add salmon/veggie sautee (without the extra sauce in the bottom of the pan) to the pasta, and about 1/3 of the dressing made above. Stir to combine.

14. Add more dressing to taste, serve hot.

• 1 month later...

Nutty Rice and Lentils

Serves 2-4

Ingredients

-----------

3 cups cooked brown rice (cooked in boullion is great, but not necessary)

1.5 cups cooked black lentils (trader joe's sometimes has precooked bags that can be cooked in the microwave)

2-3 tbsp hemp seed oil

1 tsp dried onion

1/4 tsp powdered garlic

1/2 tsp salt

Directions

----------

1. Combine ingredients and eat, hot or cold.

Archived