This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Modified Food Starch?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Is this bad or good? It is in Catalina Dressing, if that helps :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

You have to check about modified food starch because it is a questionable and can contain gluten.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Kraft will clearly indicate gluten on the ingredient list. If the catalina dressing is Kraft, then you can look at the ingredients and they will clearly indicate the source of the modified food starch. For other companies though, you should call to make sure it is not wheat.

VydorScope Proficient
Kraft will clearly indicate gluten on the ingredient list. If the catalina dressing is Kraft, then you can look at the ingredients and they will clearly indicate the source of the modified food starch. For other companies though, you should call to make sure it is not wheat.

It is Kraft, but it just says "Modified Food Starch" nothing else.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

O it's a Kraft brand...I did not know that..if that's all it says then it is safe...

They will not hide it under anything and if it doesn't say wheat,rye,barley, oats on the label then its safe

Carriefaith Enthusiast

It would be fine, if there was gluten in it they would clearly indicate it.

VydorScope Proficient

Cool! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Lucy

I was told by someone whom I trust completely that if a product is made in USA and it says modified food starch, it is corn, unless otherwise stated.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
I was told by someone whom I trust completely that if a product is made in USA and it says modified food starch, it is corn, unless otherwise stated.

That is true about Maltodextrin in the US but I have not heard that of modified food starch. If it is a brand that won't hide anything then it would be safe unless stated but that is a questionable ingredient that must be followed up on....9 out of 10 times it will be safe but I have run into things in the US that contain gluten in the MFS.

celiac3270 Collaborator
I was told by someone whom I trust completely that if a product is made in USA and it says modified food starch,  it is corn,  unless otherwise stated.

Alas, no. As Kaiti said, that holds true with maltodextrin, but modified food starch is just another coverup name like natural flavors.

LOL, alas. Just edited because I found it funny that I used that word :lol:

Guest Eloisa

I've heard the same things from several food companies re: Modified Food Starch. Standard food industry and labeling laws state that in the US it is suppose to mean derived from tapioca. But what I've noticed is that sometimes they won't write anything and when you call them its derived from corn. Some companies put in the label of where its from and some don't. You also have to be careful about Natural Flavorings. Kraft Foods is good about labeling their foods. They'll even send you a list of the foods they make that are gluten free.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

Kraft's labeling policy above. They currently do not give a list of gluten-free products for the US, but do for Canada.

Guest Eloisa

I'm in US and I called them and they'll mailed it to me. If I find the sheet I'll post.

• 4 years later...
imouse1 Newbie

I wouldn't listen to that. I had Cool Whip with Modified Food Starch and wished it had killed me because I was throwing up and swollen for a week.

jerseyangel Proficient

I wouldn't listen to that. I had Cool Whip with Modified Food Starch and wished it had killed me because I was throwing up and swollen for a week.

That sounds awful, and I'm sorry you got sick but Cool Whip doesn't contain gluten. Kraft will always declare in the ingredient list any gluten and won't hide it in things like modified food starch or natural flavors.

There are many artificial ingredients in it, and maybe your healing system couldn't tolerate them.

psawyer Proficient

As Patti said, Kraft will not hide gluten.

In the US, for more than four years, wheat must, by law, be clearly disclosed as "wheat." I have never heard of MFS being rye or barley (and it is almost never wheat).

Gemini Experienced

Modified food starch is safe in the US. It is derived from corn and if there was wheat involved, it would have to be labeled as such on the package. It would read something like....modified food starch (wheat). Natural flavoring is also the same. I have yet to find any natural flavorings that were not gluten-free. Most reliable sources of information on safe foods for Celiacs now state this.

Glutenfreenoobie Rookie

That sounds awful, and I'm sorry you got sick but Cool Whip doesn't contain gluten. Kraft will always declare in the ingredient list any gluten and won't hide it in things like modified food starch or natural flavors.

There are many artificial ingredients in it, and maybe your healing system couldn't tolerate them.

One of my CVS brand allergy medicines has listed under inactive ingredients:

pregelantinized starch and starch.

psawyer Proficient

One of my CVS brand allergy medicines has listed under inactive ingredients:

pregelantinized starch and starch.

The rules for labeling drugs are not the same as for foods. But starch in drugs is still most commonly corn starch. It is worth asking CVS whether the source is wheat.

kareng Grand Master

One med I took told me it was derived from " soft wood trees". Yum! But harmless unless you're the tree.

Glutenfreenoobie Rookie

The rules for labeling drugs are not the same as for foods. But starch in drugs is still most commonly corn starch. It is worth asking CVS whether the source is wheat.

I guess I'm calling the 1800 number on the back of the box.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I guess I'm calling the 1800 number on the back of the box.

That is your best bet with any drug, script or OTC. If they can't or won't give you an answer then go with a company that will.

• 2 months later...
overnormal Newbie

Modified food starch is safe in the US. It is derived from corn and if there was wheat involved, it would have to be labeled as such on the package. It would read something like....modified food starch (wheat). Natural flavoring is also the same. I have yet to find any natural flavorings that were not gluten-free. Most reliable sources of information on safe foods for Celiacs now state this.

I also cannot tolerate corn. MFS seems to be off limits!

• 3 months later...
xabsx Newbie

I have Celiac and modified food starch will make me incredibly sick within hours. Be careful of everything with it in it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have Celiac and modified food starch will make me incredibly sick within hours. Be careful of everything with it in it.

In the US with foods if it is derived from wheat it will say so on the label. Meds need to be checked with the maker as the label regs are not the same. If you get sick from MFS in foods you may have an additional intolerance.

Archived