This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From The Kansas City Area

sandy-swanson1103

sandy-swanson1103 Newbie

I was just wondering if there was anyone from the Kansas City area on here. I am new with Celiac Disease. My 7 year old daughter has it, and I have no clue what I am doing!!

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I was just wondering if there was anyone from the Kansas City area on here. I am new with Celiac Disease. My 7 year old daughter has it, and I have no clue what I am doing!!

Thanks

Me! Me! Some would say I don't know what I'm doing though. I live in Johnson county, KS

sandy-swanson1103 Newbie

Me! Me! Some would say I don't know what I'm doing though. I live in Johnson county, KS

I live in Johnson County Ks also!!!!! Did you just recently get diagnosed? Just curious as to why some people would say you didn't know what you were doing. LOL I am in that boat right now. I am still learning everything for my daughter. Where in Johnson county do you live?

kareng Grand Master

I live in Johnson County Ks also!!!!! Did you just recently get diagnosed? Just curious as to why some people would say you didn't know what you were doing. LOL I am in that boat right now. I am still learning everything for my daughter. Where in Johnson county do you live?

I was being funny. Didn't work? I'll IM you.

sandy-swanson1103 Newbie

I was being funny. Didn't work? I'll IM you.

Oh no. LOL I kinda figured, but I wasn't for sure. LOL I am new to this, so I will try and IM you back. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Branny Newbie

I'm over in Blue Springs, just SouthEast of the big city and have had an allergy to Gluten all my life, but only found out about two years ago what I was trying to fight. I've learned alot in this time and so if you need anything, please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

• 1 month later...
ToriBlake Newbie

Hi everyone! I live in Shawnee and am also newly diagnosed (3 months) and am dying to find some other people in my same situation! I'm struggling to find places to eat out, where the best places to do grocery shopping are, hidden gluten-free gems, and people to talk with in general! Do any of you go to a support group or what is the best way you've found to manage a gluten-free lifestyle?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
GermanGirlWithCurls Newbie

Hi everyone! I live in Shawnee and am also newly diagnosed (3 months) and am dying to find some other people in my same situation! I'm struggling to find places to eat out, where the best places to do grocery shopping are, hidden gluten-free gems, and people to talk with in general! Do any of you go to a support group or what is the best way you've found to manage a gluten-free lifestyle?

If you have a Hy-Vee in your area, most of them have newly expanded their Health Market sections, complete with a Gluten-Free section. I live just a few miles north of downtown K.C., and the Hy-Vee I shop at is great. They carry a very full line of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flours and mixes, Pamela's baking mixes, lots of cookies and breads (including Udi's, which is the best pre-made gluten-free bread you can get), crackers, pastas, soups and gravy mixes all gluten-free, and really a lot of stuff I wouldn't have time to list. Although the prices can get pretty high is you are purchasing too many pre-made items. Best to buy the flours and learn how to make your own. There are tons of other great gluten-free blogs (Gluten Free Goddess, Gluten Free Mommy, Gluten Free Cooking School...just a few of my faves) from where I've really learned to bake some great muffins, cakes, casseroles, etc. Even my husband will eat some of these things, and he thinks going gluten-free is a waste of time. :-) I don't have Celiac, but I do have a very sensitive digestive system (blood type AB, we are complicated) and found that switching to a gluten-free lifestyle really helped a lot...AND I lost weight.

Try (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) for purchasing Bob's Red Mill and other great gluten-free flours and mixes in bulk at discount prices...Amazon offers free shipping for orders over $25. I believe this how some of the serious bakers can really afford to do all the gluten-free treats and breads.

I would also be interested in a support/meet-up group. Has anyone tried searching the MeetUp groups? Or maybe put out a Craigslist ad to try and get one together on your side of the city.

GFreeMO Proficient

Kansas City here too! Way out in the boonies in Platte County. (By Snow Creek)

• 2 months later...
majones Newbie

My favorites are Whole Foods (the one on 91st and Metcalf seems more gluten-friendly) and Hyvee. Their new gluten-free section is amazing. Walmart brand stuff also will say "naturally gluten free" on it most of the time. So helpful!

Where do you go?

kareng Grand Master

My favorites are Whole Foods (the one on 91st and Metcalf seems more gluten-friendly) and Hyvee. Their new gluten-free section is amazing. Walmart brand stuff also will say "naturally gluten free" on it most of the time. So helpful!

Where do you go?

I live by you! I usually go to the WF on 119 th just for bread. I go to Hy Vee on Stateline or 135 th & Antioch for most stuff. Target, Walmart & Hen House have a few things like pasta to grab while I'm there.

I just saw that Minsky's is doing gluten-free pizza but I haven't quizzed them yet on topping procedures.

Pamela B. Apprentice

Hi; I just joined the forum. I'm in Grandview!

• 3 months later...
MelissaBe123 Newbie

I've been looking for people in the Kansas City area too! I'm in Prairie Village and wonder if there is any support group in town.

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm jealous...I wanna move to Kansas City! :lol:

kareng Grand Master

I've been looking for people in the Kansas City area too! I'm in Prairie Village and wonder if there is any support group in town.

There is but...I never go :ph34r:

Open Original Shared Link

I'm jealous...I wanna move to Kansas City! :lol:

Come on! I'll help you find an apartment. Actually,, oldest son is going off to college....

• 4 months later...
isntsheclever Newbie

Hi! :D I'm new to the forum. I live in Lees Summit!

I am not diagnosed with anything yet... But I am in the process of trying to get things figured out...

kareng Grand Master

I am not diagnosed with anything yet... But I am in the process of trying to get things figured out...

Welcome, Lee's Summit!

NateJ Contributor

Yes. welcome from STL, cross state neighbor.

Archived