This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Grrrr....

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I hate it when people stand in front of you (especially if they're nosy people whose name you don't even know), and say, "I love cake. It must be hard to have a wheat allergy," when you're already having a bad day.

She's lactose intolerant, too, and no offense to anyone else who is, SHE CAN'T HAVE IT EITHER.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Oh, and in general, I hate when anyone says that the Gluten Free diet is hard. I wish that all of these people who are consuming the product of satan would get a reality check--this is child's play.

skbird Contributor

Oh yeah, that sets me on edge!!! What really gets me is the constant crinkling/crackling of packaged stuff like Little Debbies all my coworkers around me always get every day... that and "Oh this is so great! Oh that's right, you can't have it..." they don't really feel bad, you can tell by looking them in the eye (which I often do when I want to suddenly have the power of lasers shooting from mine...)

I feel your being pissed!

Stephanie

Carriefaith Enthusiast

That sort of "situation" happens to me too. Most of the time it's people apologizing for offering me gluten food after I've told them before that I can't eat gluten. The worst is when people complain about their gluten food in front of you... especially when it's really yummy pizza <_<

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I see what you guys mean, too! I would have grabbed the Little Debbies and used them for ammunition :P Or, at least today, I have the mindset.

Thanks for letting me vent!

<3

pmrowley Newbie

Whenever I am dealing with things like this, I always have a supply of gluten-free cookies and treats handy in my desk. When they start busting out snack cakes, I grab an EnviroKidz cereal bar! If it's cake, then I'll grab an Ener-G Gluten Free brownie! (Which are healthier and better tasting than most of the swill others jam in their faces. :) )

-Pat

Guest Eloisa

My mother-in-law aggrevates with that crap. She just can't understand why I can't eat bread and all her homecooked Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I finally got her to try my stuffing that I've made for the past 2 years and she refused to eat and she liked it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

The one that got me was a coworker - who does understand some of the difficulties of the gluten-free diet, though she's not on it and doesn't have kids who are on it - noted to me, when talking about the catering for an office party, that no, I shouldn't "take the time to talk to the caterers" because it would be a hassel to them. While, in this instance, she was right - I wasn't going to bother - having someone else tell me that it's too much trouble for them was... ooo... got my dander up, and usually we get along great.

Guest nini

Ooooh that reminds me of the day that my boss had the brilliant idea of having "mandatory" staff lunch meetings at where else but The Atlanta BREAD Company... I just looked at him oh so seriously and said, "am I expected to bring my own food with me???" He promptly scrapped that idea for the time being, but I was still irked that he even for one minute thought it was a GOOD idea.

ianm Apprentice

I just explain to people all of the serious health problems I used to have when I would eat that crap. More often then not they won't eat that second donut.

Emme999 Enthusiast

When they wave their gluten foods in front of you and say, "oh, this is so yummy - but you can't have it, can you?" I think the best thing to do is say, "Nope, but I'm doing good. I don't need the empty calories and fat anyway."

Then look them up and down s l o w l y...

Smile. And walk away ;)

(muahahahahahaha! )

- Michelle :wub:

celiac3270 Collaborator

LOL, Michelle :lol:

Guest gfinnebraska

LOL Michelle... I tell people, that I know really well, "I hope that goes straight to cellulite on your butt and hips!!" :angry: Hahahahaha!! SO many people say to me, "OH, you can't have this, can you??!!??" No DUH!! Sigh... People don't know that what they say is offensive or hurtful, so I just laugh it off. BUT, it can wear on one's nerves and get old after awhile.

veggf Newbie

Hi,

I love this conversation! ;) I use to have a co-worker (very difficult person), who would always buy doughnuts and other sweets and literally moan over how good they were. She would give me the "oh, sorry, I know you can't eat this..." kind of line. As someone mentioned before, at least I will always have the better figure than her.

Recently, when I was explaining celiac disease to someone, they said, "Oh, I would kill myself if I had that,...if I couldn't eat bread..." I've thought of several witty comebacks since then, but none at the time of course. My husband did step in to the conversation and put the fellow in his place a bit (but very nicely).

Ugh, people can be horrible.

Thanks for venting and letting me vent!

Have a Good Day!

mcalistorm Newbie

I do a lot of work at Starbucks. About 1/2 my friends work there so I hardly ever pay for anything. They always offer me free snacks. They are not being mean. They ask me if I can eat it first, and give me lotsa sympathy when I can't. But some of that stuff looks Sooooooooooo good. My best bud gave me one of the fruit bowls yesterday though. Only thing there I can safely eat. Yummy too. Ah well the calories I do not need anyway.

GFManiac Rookie

I always tell people it is amazing what you can live without. Once you break that addiction, you just don't crave it anymore. HINT-HINT to the donut-eaters, you think you might be addicted?

tarnalberry Community Regular
I use to have a co-worker (very difficult person), who would always buy doughnuts and other sweets and literally moan over how good they were. She would give me the "oh, sorry, I know you can't eat this..." kind of line. As someone mentioned before, at least I will always have the better figure than her.

I had something similar, but not quite so blatant occur, and I just naturally replied with "I don't care, whatever" with a look that was clearly "who cares?!" about the whole thing. It rather confused the person. ;-) haha!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
Most of the time it's people apologizing for offering me gluten food after I've told them before that I can't eat gluten.

It's actually nice, when people apologize after they realize what they have done. Yesterday I helped out at the Year End Show in the YMCA and after that all the helpers got free pizza. I went into the staffs/trainers office to ask my gymnastics teacher, if she still needs me for cleaning up, before I go home. And she asked me, if I wanted some pizza, too. I told her, if she already forgot, that I told her, that I can't have that. She looked at me with that uninterested look in her eyes. She probably thought wheat is only in bread. How stupid some people are, really...

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Sorry, I forgot what my point was. Well, she didn't even apologize and just kept on munching.

2old4 Rookie

Or how about the reply, "It can't have that much in it? Does it?" Like it's a diet that's okay to break whenever you want a treat. I feel like saying, "Sure buddy, are you going to cover my shift when I can't make it to work tommorrow?" Ha, Ha, I bet not...especially since I'm his boss...

2old4- Patty :P

luvs2eat Collaborator

Yea, I had that conversation with my friend who has diabetes and just shoots some more insulin when she eats stuff she's not supposed to. I told her that there is no "shooting" for me. A little cheat results in MOLTEN ACID comin' out my butt... it's not worth whatever's being served!!

sweeet-pea Rookie

I have only been gluten-free for 2 weeks now. I am very strick - absolutly no cheating!! I am already sick of people saying so can you eat this, can you eat that, well it doesnt have THAT much wheat in it, dont worry, so like forever? And the worst comment I get over and over again is well, that "diet" you are on sounds healthy! You wont ever have a weight problem!! I should really try that. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I'm still in the I feel lost, I feel like a part of my life has died stage and I get those comments? No I cant eat it, no I cant cheat, no its not temporary......Take your bakers dozen doughnuts and LEAVE ME ALONE!! :D

Really I am not bitter at all I promise. I just laugh!

Oh annnnnd does anyone know where I can find wheat free licorish?

Guest Viola

We have gluten free Licorice here in BC. It's made with brown rice flour, so although the flavour is excellent, the texture is a bit gritty and spoils the enjoyment of it. At least for me, textures is everything. :unsure:

I'm going into town on Friday, so could get you the name of the company, perhaps they have a website.

Noneformethanks Newbie

I have people offer me forbidden foods often, people who have been told before. But, it really doesn't bother me, as I can't expect others to remember my life's details; they have their own lives to contend with. Usually, people apologise profusely when I remind them, as they just did forget. Heaven knows that I forget things folks have told me all the time.

And, my life's quility has so drastically improved that I really don't see those donuts, cookies, cake, etc, as anything but poison. You might as well offer me a plate of sewer sludge. I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs; negative conditioning.

And, there are enough poeple who do love me to make up for the forgetful ones. For example, my whole church now has rice crackers for communion, just so we all can "eat of one loaf."

It's not always easy, but I am trying to dwell on the good and not get down by the rest,

Barbara

plantime Contributor

I have enjoyed reading this! I feel so "unalone"! :D

Archived