This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grrrr....

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

celiac3270 Collaborator
I have enjoyed reading this! I feel so "unalone"! :D

I know, me too :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
uclangel422 Apprentice
And the worst comment I get over and over again is well, that "diet" you are on sounds healthy! You wont ever have a weight problem!! I should really try that

Thats the one that i get most often and it is so annoying, mostly because i havent lost weight since being gluten-free, except for the post-bloat water weight.

Also people keep telling me that if i eat a little gluten, then my body may get used to it. Oh yeah, like 24 years of eating it helped up to this point.

And then there is the ever popular, maybe you will just grow out of it. I am 24, how much more growing out of things am i going to do.

sweeet-pea Rookie
I'm going into town on Friday, so I coulld get you the name of the company, perhaps they have a website.

THANK YOU SHIRLEY!! I WILL CROSS MY FINGERS!! YIPPEE!!

sweeet-pea Rookie
And then there is the ever popular, maybe you will just grow out of it. I am 24, how much more growing out of things am i going to do.

UGH!! :angry: I have gotten that one too! I wish there was a way to educate the public a little bit more. I am thinking about renting a billboard for a couple of months. Maybe my picture and a saying something along the lines of I'm Gluten Free - Don't offer me food, just your ear so I can tell you about Celiac Disease. :lol: What do ya think? :lol::lol:

Guest Viola

:lol: I love the Billboard idea Britt!

I've put gluten free licorice on my grocery list so I don't forget. Will post again Friday evening ... West coast time :D

cdford Contributor

One of Joshua's wedding showers was a covered dish affair given by a Sunday School class at the bride's church. I, as usual, took several of my own dishes to ensure that I would have something to eat. It was interesting to hear all the comments about how healthy my diet was. Most of my food was gone at the end of the evening as well.

printmaker81 Rookie
And the worst comment I get over and over again is well, that "diet" you are on sounds healthy! You wont ever have a weight problem!! I should really try that. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I'm still in the I feel lost, I feel like a part of my life has died stage and I get those comments? No I cant eat it, no I cant cheat, no its not temporary......Take your bakers dozen doughnuts and LEAVE ME ALONE!! 

Oh, that irks me too!! I had a co-worker actually say to me that she wished she could get celiac disease for a little while just to slim down. I felt like screaming at her that you can see my ribs only because my body is not absorbing nutrients thanks to the evil grain. Then adding, oh, by the way, have you noticed how much work I miss, that's not vacation time. I'm pretty mild mannered, so I just said that she would change her mind after about five minutes.

My mom also tried to compare it to how hard it was to stay on the South Beach Diet (that she cheats on all the time). I love that I have to respond to comments like all the ones you guys have mentioned while I am still unused to the diet and still feeling irritable from all the damage the gluten did :angry: Lessons in patience...

Plus, at nights I work in an italian restaraunt. Wow, is it ever good for training myself to resist temptation!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I know...the comparing thing bothers me. I have a grandmother who likes to be the center of attention and always think that she has it the worst (even though she has no serious health problems). She once compared my avoiding gluten to her avoiding certain foods due to acid reflux... :angry:

jknnej Collaborator

I SO agree with Michelle.

When people are eating Twinkies or cake or whatever and rubbing it in my face I usually allude to the fact that I don't need the extra fat and that I like to eat healthy. It's an awesome feeling, because most people don't have the willpower to eat like this AND to be honest most of them are overweight in the first place because of willpower issues.

I'm a size 4 and have lost weight since going gluten-free. I actually have some people at work trying to do the diet now b/c they have seen the changes in my body!! Guess my technique worked....

in any case I get the last laugh because I am healthier, regardless, and I look better:):)

Hope I don't come off as snotty..I only do this when people really rub it in my face.....repeatedly.

jenvan Collaborator

Heather--

Can't believe you had someone say they wish they had celiac disease !! I have a pre-diabetic coworker who told me a few months ago "What you have is a lot easier than what I have. I have to work really hard, yours isn't such a big deal." Let's just say he proved his ignorance on the topic ! PS--He is like pre type-II, his doctor says he doesn't even need insulin yet...

Guest gfinnebraska

I have had people come up to me and ask, "Are you still doing that wheat thing??"

UGH!!! "Thing"????? Sigh...

The public just doesn't get it...

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yea someone asked me if I had went finished my "phase" of not eating gluten yet.

plantime Contributor

I have been asked, "Why don't you just go get the shots so you can eat it?"

"I had a co-worker actually say to me that she wished she could get celiac disease for a little while just to slim down." HAH! <_< ! I didn't lose weight, neither did my sisters. We just kept getting fatter and fatter, even on 1500 cals a day! It is >not< a guaranteed weight loss plan!

sweeet-pea Rookie
Plus, at nights I work in an italian restaraunt. Wow, is it ever good for training myself to resist temptation!!

Italian food is my favorite!! Now that is self control!! Good for you! I would'nt be able to resist!!! :blink:

sweeet-pea Rookie
PS--He is like pre type-II, his doctor says he doesn't even need insulin yet...

:angry: What a jerk!! I have been "pre diabetic" / hypoglycemic for the last 8 years.....Or at least that is what 2 doctors told me...Hmmmm what do you want to bet it was Celiac.... B)

veggf Newbie

Hi,

I've also had people say the "oh, maybe I should have celiac disease too, so I can lose weight", like someone else said, I point out that you could see my ribs (not to mention most of the rest of my skeleton too) and that I spent most of my time on the toilet, and that I was dx with arthritis in my early 20's, and anemia, and...

I don't get mad when people accidently/forgetfully offer me food. We all forget/can't know everyone's life story. But the things that irk me are the intentional or lack of compassion comments.

My Grandma, who I love dearly, told me that the reason I have celiac disease is because I became a vegetarian as a teenager. During that first post-dx visit she also baked tons of gluten baked goods for me and held them in front of me and told me to eat them. I tried to explain genetics to her, but it fell on deaf ears. Eventually my aunts and mom worked on her and she came around. The last time that I visited she made me crustless raspberry glace pies and she recently told me I need to start my own gluten-free bakery--I'm glad she changed because her first reaction really hurt.

I'm glad we have this safe place to vent here (it means I can be nicer to the gluten filled world).

Thanks, Have a Good Day!

printmaker81 Rookie
My Grandma, who I love dearly, told me that the reason I have celiac disease is because I became a vegetarian as a teenager
Guest Lindam
:angry: What I really love is when we are having our quarterly luncheon at work and I ask what has been ordered, and the answer always is, "Does it matter? You can't have any anyway." That's nice, make me feel real wanted. So now I have stopped going to the luncheons/meetings. Maybe someone/someday will get the hint.
jenvan Collaborator

Britt-

Yeah--wouldn't that be ironic if my coworker turned out to have celiac disease ! Why do the docs keep telling you you're pre type II ?

cdford Contributor

I have an extended family member who tends not to consider the needs of others when he makes a decision. His decision to take us all to an Italian restaurant (which assured me they could feed me safely) wound up taking 8 months of my life and costing almost $20,000 in hospital and doctor bills. Needless to say, he gets glares from the entire family if he even mentions that place as an option now.

jenvan Collaborator

Wow Donna--that is awful !! Its a good reminder that we should always make the decision we're comfortable with. Like if someone says "I made this for you...and its gluten-free...", and I don't feel comfortable, I shouldn't worry about making them feel bad, and say "No thank you" ! That's my philosophy anyway :)

Guest Viola
Oh annnnnd does anyone know where I can find wheat free licorish?

Hi Britt, I just got back from town and will do a separate post on Licorice :P

Guest Viola
:lol: I see someone else posted on licorice, so I just added to it. Mmmm these licorice bears are good, they are very much like tiny gummy bears with strong licorice flovour :rolleyes:
wclemens Newbie

Hi all,

I sure enjoyed your replies on this question! It helps me to remember that we are all really in the same boat. An Italian restaurant, eh? I just have to share again how I worked 2 jobs at the same time last year, one at a bakery, and one at an ice cream parlor, though I was intolerant of everything in both places. Going through a divorce at the time, I think it was my way of reaffirming just where I've come from and how far I've traveled, because I would never cheat on this wonderful gluten free diet. This diet has carried me to places of which I never dreamed, allowing me to be healthy, energetic, and full of joy. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories! Welda Lou

ianm Apprentice

Speaking of things people shouldn't say. I experienced a great revenge situation. On Friday someone brought in a truckload of donuts and one of my coworkers said "HaHa, you can't have one." This is a coworker that I have never gotten along with. I then noticed his protruding gut and his wife who also works there was standing next to him. I lifted up the front of my shirt and displayed my emerging six pack abs and said "I can't have a donut but your gut doesn't look like this." His wife them elbowed him in the gut causing him to spit out a mouth full of jelly donut and said "That's the last donut you're ever eating buddy." :lol: He then spent the remainder of the day giving me dirty looks. Today he had to have a lunch of fruit and vegetables instead of his usual Twinkies, Pop Tarts and Coke. He spent all day giving me dirty looks and will probably do that for weeks. I have heard it said that living well is the best revenge and I think that may be true.

Archived