This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Protein Shake .... Need More Protein

vbecton

vbecton Explorer

Hey guys, I think I've been in denial. For the last 2 months I've been following the Paleo Diet loosely. I looked up the Specific Carbohydrate Diet today and that is much more what I'm doing. Anyway, I need a protein shake that will fit my needs. Here they are: gluten-free (obviously :D ), Dairy FREE (no whey, casein, lactose, no traces of cow or goat), nothing artifical, especially sweeteners.

What about Hemp protein and the Specific Carbo Diet? Is it legal? Pea protein is legal, but... Do plant proteins or fibre proteins (Hemp) make a complete protein? Not sure if an incomplete protein will do the trick? Any thoughts? I just need an extra 20-30 per day to meet my needs. Any suggestions??

I work out 2 hrs per day (running, cross training, cycling, swimming, weights, etc...) for reference. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

My morning smoothie:

Two scoops of Sun Warrior Raw Brown Rice Protein, vanilla flavor (about 35 grams of protein)...does contain Stevia.

Two cups of coconut Milk (unsweetned) or Coconut water from fresh, young cocounut

1/2 avocado (makes it rich and creamy and filling!)

Cocoa Powder to Taste

2 Tablesppons of L-glutamine powder (good for post-workout and intensitinal repair)

2 tablespoons of psyillium husk powder (lots of fiber, keeps me full until lunch or longer)

Sometimes I toss in some flakseeds or chia seeds, and sometimes I add berries. You can get creative from here!

BTW, Hemp Seeds are considered a superfood...they are a complete protein and contain lots of Omega 3's. I used to make my smoothies from hemp powder, but it's chalky. Raw seeds are great to toss into the receipe above.

RiceGuy Collaborator

You can use pea protein in smoothies, homemade non-dairy yogurt (such as coconut), and numerous other things. You can even make crackers and other snack foods out of yellow pea flour (or other bean flours if they fit your diet). Then spread some homemade sunflower butter on them - YUM! (sunflower butter tastes nearly identical to peanut butter)

As for the so-called "compete protein", it's really a matter of getting all the essential amino acids. And it is absolutely unnecessary to get them all from a single food. While pea protein does have them all, you may want to combine it with another source as mentioned above, to get more of certain ones you may need to focus on for your workouts.

For a natural and safe sweetener, I recommend Stevia. All natural, zero calories, zero carbs, zero sugars, and zero on the glycemic index. Just make sure you get the pure extract powder, with nothing else added. It is extremely sweet - just 1 tsp can replace a cup or more of sugar. So you need to add it in tiny amounts until you're accustomed to how much to use.

vbecton Explorer

Awesome suggestions guys, Thanks!!! I am going to try that smoothie, sounds delish :D

And sunflower butter, yummy. I'm drinking my egg white protein shake now, but I consume far too many eggs for this to be a daily drink. Can't wait to try your suggestions.

knittingmonkey Newbie

Any suggestions??

Raw eggs.

• 4 weeks later...
Lett Newbie

Raw eggs.

Raw eggs are dangerous, better cook egg whites (there is only fat in yellow). You can order a lots of gluten free protein snacks.

Looking for answers Contributor

I used to eat three raw eggs every day, and I never had a problem. HOWEVER, I recently took an allergy test and I now have a High allergy to egg whites. I did some research and found out eating raw eggs puts you at higher risk for developing allergies, when I've always heard it was the other way around. Any ways, whatever you do, because so many of us are sensitive to developing other food allergies/intolerances, whatever you do, don't eat eggs every day, especially if they are raw. Put them in the rotation but I'd be careful not to eat them each day. I wish I would have done that because now I can't eat omeletts, my favorite thing! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vbecton Explorer

I used to eat three raw eggs every day, and I never had a problem. HOWEVER, I recently took an allergy test and I now have a High allergy to egg whites. I did some research and found out eating raw eggs puts you at higher risk for developing allergies, when I've always heard it was the other way around. Any ways, whatever you do, because so many of us are sensitive to developing other food allergies/intolerances, whatever you do, don't eat eggs every day, especially if they are raw. Put them in the rotation but I'd be careful not to eat them each day. I wish I would have done that because now I can't eat omeletts, my favorite thing! :angry:

Yeah, you know I've worried about that...eating eggs everyday because I know that allergies tend to creep up on the things we eat most often. I'll start eating chicken breasts, or something like that for breakfast in rotation with the eggs because protein shakes don't last long for me even if I have 50g worth of protein in a shake form. I think my body is like, "WHAT, that ain't a steak...I WANT STEAK!"

I've started on Biochem's 100% Vegan shake and it's drinkable. At this stage, I don't care about flavor as much as staying alive :P . I've spruced it up with fruit, etc..., but it's nothing to brag about. There's a lady down the road who makes these wonderful shredded chicken n' potato breakfast tacos, so I'm going to have to attempt them gluten-free. Yummy!!

vbecton Explorer

Oh and BTW, my mother failed her allergy test on eggs also, but still eats them everyday. Not sure what effects she'll suffer, but could explain her chronic allergies and sinusitis.

Archived