This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Body Building Success!

Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

I was diagnosed with Celiac's over a year ago at the age of 40. I immediately researched EVERY book that I could and completely turned around my diet and work-out regimens. There were several nutritionist/friends involved and it certainly doesn't hurt that my work-out partner was in the Army's specials forces in Iraq. Those dudes know how to work out!

Long story short, my neighbor is a fitness instructor and she asked me to pose last week for a brochure that she is going to make for future clients. After a year of living with a strict wheat free diet, I guess that I never took the time to really look at myself in the mirror. Let alone, take some pictures for a brochure.

Last week, the fitness instructor forwarded the JPEG's onto me and I couldn't believe my progress. Low and behold, I have a six pack at the ripe age of 42.

CURRENT STATS:

42 years old

171 pounds

5'9'

9.5% body fat

I'm sure you all will have lots of questions about my diet, cardio, weight lifting, and vitamins. I will be here to answer as many questions as possible (in a timely manner of course).

It may take you a year to achieve these results, but you can do it. Really, you can.

Sincerely,

~Wheatfreedude~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

So, we all remember that day when the doctor broke the news that we had Celiac's disease. If there was a hidden camera on our face, it would be a look of shock.... just thinking of the pastas, breads, beers, cookies, etc. that we could no longer eat.

That was the day that I blessed the fact that I was a carnivore!

Everyone is looking for that secret pill or shake that pack on lean muscle. But, the real lean look comes from eating lean animal proteins. My "rule of thumb" is the following for getting lean while shredding fat:

-- Read the nutritional labels and keep all of your fat intake under 10. You can find many cuts of pork, poulty, fish, and chicken sausages with just 5-6 grams of fat per serving.

-- Again, read the nutritional label, and if there are preservatives or chemicals in the food, put it back! Opt for an all natural label. (SAM'S, Costco, Trader Joe's, ect.)

-- All natural packaged turkey lunchmeat is a GREAT single digit hi protein snack.

-- All natural frozen salmon burgers are the bomb (low in fat, high in Omega 3's, high in protein)

Yes, I enjoy being a carnivore. But, don't forget your green leafy vegetables each day. You can find steam vegetable bags in the frozen section for less than $2.

So go eat like a Bengal Tiger and not like a pig. You'll shred fat while adding muscle.

• 3 weeks later...
tobysKat Newbie

I'm still some what new to the gluten free, I had a spinal fusion in feb 2009 and followed the tracy anderson method diet, took calcium and a several other supplements to help my body absorb the calcium. I was anemic and over weight for my height after surgery. I was really concerned about the fusion setting, my goal is to get "BACK" into shape. lucky for me the fusion went great with the exception of scar tissue ( can't find any other reason for current pain ). I'm starting crossfit, pushed by my husband, doctor agreed it was ok as long as no weights were used. I have no upper body strength, back or abdominal strength.

The most confusing for me is source of protein, i have my turkey, salmon patties and steaks, occasional chicken, and eggs ( should the eggs be cage free ), oh and the supplements. i've also found I can't eat nuts, sunflower, almonds, pecans.. sometimes the peanut butter also makes my tummy hurt so bad i never want to touch any of it.. and this is buying organic to reading the labels on peanut butter.. so that leaves out the paleo way of eating.. I try to eat alot of fruit and veggies and end up eating more fruit, i read several other people suggest lowering the fruit and raising the veggies.

so my biggest issues are finding the right supplements for the type of workouts with crossfit, eating gluten free ( my gluten free is trying to not eat anything packaged, i hit road blocks with that method but i dont believe anything that is labelled gluten free as most contain rice and corn.. which i am extremely sensitive to ) and what if any other foods might i be leaving out.. i dont eat tuna either..

I used to run sprints for 2 hours a day and aerobics 3 hours a day..

my goal is to run again and actually get back into shape.. but be healthy

any suggestions would be appreciated

mommida Enthusiast

Nice picture! Very nice indeed!

I'm afraid if I got back to my six pack days, I would be stuck in front of every mirror I passed. I probably wouldn't have the heart to cover up those abs with a shirt. That would be bad- I live in Michigan!

chasbari Apprentice

Yeah, the six pack came back in a hurry but I am struggling to add mass back.. keep losing more. What I wouldn't give to have a little reserve now.. Never thought I would be saying that...! Did test my strength on body weight exercises the other day. I do this to check against machine weight every once in a while for baseline strength to weight ratio reference and did 16 strict dips and 15 strict chins. Not bad for fast approaching my 50th birthday in a few months.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

The most confusing for me is source of protein, i have my turkey, salmon patties and steaks, occasional chicken,

Ah, you've come to the right guy regarding protein. Why am I not seeing whole frozen fish fillets in your above diet? That should be the FIRST animal protein on your list (high protein, low fat, Omega 3 fats). You can buy them frozen and portioned at Costco or SAM'S. I typically take the frozen portion out of the freezer the night before and put it into the refrigerator. The next morning, put the thawed fillet into a zip-lock baggy with my favorite gluten free marinade.

When you get home from work that evening, you can pan sear/bake/grill an amazing flavorful meal. Add a boatload of green vegetables and some brown rice.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

and eggs ( should the eggs be cage free )

I'm really not "sold" on cage free eggs. I think there is a plethora of sources for affordable eggs that don't have to be cage free. Look in your local retailer for specials on a dozen conventional eggs for only .99 cents. Boil those bad boys and subsequently refrigerate them for a twelve separate snacks throughout the day. All you need is some running water, and the ability to "shell-em" and you are set for one of natures most perfect protein snacks.

If you don't have the time (or patience) to boil, their are plenty of liquid egg items at the clubs or retail. Look for egg whites or egg substitutes that are all natural. If you have a hot skillet in the morning, you can make an omellete in less than ten minutes. Don't forget your essential oils... so pre-spray the pan with extra virgin olive oil.

~Wheatfreedude~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munchkinette Collaborator

I'm really not "sold" on cage free eggs. I think there is a plethora of sources for affordable eggs that don't have to be cage free.

Just curious- why not? Watch the movie Food, Inc. Conventional poultry farming practices are pretty disgusting.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Just curious- why not? Watch the movie Food, Inc. Conventional poultry farming practices are pretty disgusting.

I actually have seen Food Inc. (twice). Unfortunately, there are some lousy agricultural producers out there. But, that doesn't mean that they all are operating under those conditions. Take it from me, as I have personally toured egg, pork, sausage, dairy, potato, and value added operations. Some of these operations are so clean, it's amazing. Others, are more of an "average" facility in my mind.

With that said, it is everyone's homework to investigate your local producers background. There are several egg producers in my area that I can trust.

Don't get me wrong, and I mean this, "Roger and Me" by Michael Moore was probably my top 5 favorite movies of all time. But, I didn't let that movie make me think that every corporate CEO was a heartless, awful person.

It did educate me, however. ;)

~Wheatfreedude~

munchkinette Collaborator

I actually have seen Food Inc. (twice). Unfortunately, there are some lousy agricultural producers out there. But, that doesn't mean that they all are operating under those conditions. Take it from me, as I have personally toured egg, pork, sausage, dairy, potato, and value added operations. Some of these operations are so clean, it's amazing. Others, are more of an "average" facility in my mind.

With that said, it is everyone's homework to investigate your local producers background. There are several egg producers in my area that I can trust.

Don't get me wrong, and I mean this, "Roger and Me" by Michael Moore was probably my top 5 favorite movies of all time. But, I didn't let that movie make me think that every corporate CEO was a heartless, awful person.

It did educate me, however. ;)

~Wheatfreedude~

I agree, it does depend. I actually take it one step further and buy "pastured" eggs, but that's just as much about taste for me. After tasting eggs in other countries, I've decided that most of the eggs in this country don't really taste like eggs. I eat nothing but eggs for breakfast when I travel internationally, partly because of my limited gluten-free options, and partly because they taste so freakin' good. :)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hubba, Hubba, Hubba! :P

Seriously, I have Fibromyalgia and RA as well as gluten free. I have never had the energy to exercise. After a year of being gluten free, I am finally starting to get my energy back. I am 5 ft 2 and most of my life I weighed 205 lbs. I am losing weight and I now weigh 165. The problem I have is with my middle. I have a paunch that is slowly going away but I would like some way to tighten those muscles up without doing crunches because I have a bad back. I have been tightening those muscles and holding them in. Can you suggest anything? Plus my muscles on the underneath of my arms. I've got some muscle built up on top by lifting water bottles, but the wiggly stuff is getting on my nerves. ;) Something that wouldn't aggravate my fibro. Oh, and to top that off i'm a truck driver and stuck in the truck for up to 12 hrs a day. I have been eating a lot of meat, fish and am starting to eat more eggs as well as veggies. I have an inverter in my truck so I have an electric skillet and a microwave. That helps out a lot. Anyway, I seem to be one of the people that can't eat a lot of the gluten free foods. Which I think is a good thing.

Anyway, any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Vicky

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Hubba, Hubba, Hubba! :P

I would like some way to tighten those muscles up without doing crunches because I have a bad back. I have been tightening those muscles and holding them in. Can you suggest anything? Plus my muscles on the underneath of my arms. I've got some muscle built up on top by lifting water bottles, but the wiggly stuff is getting on my nerves. ;)

Hi Vicky:

I must tell you right now, that losing that weight is a "high five" in my book! So congrats to you. Keep in mind that ANY individual could do a thousand crunches a day and have well defined ab muscles. But if there is a layer of fat hiding those abs, you won't be able to see the definition. So, I would stay on the same path/diet that has enabled you to lose that weight. And keep shedding that fat!

As for your ab exercises and triceps (back arm), you probably are going to need assistance from a gym. As much as you travel, there are places like 24 Hour fitness in the West. Your membership is valid at any of them. And as you can guess, they are open 24 hours a day for hard working 12+ hour drivers like you.

So, if you're suffering a bad back... look for the triceps machine or ab machine and start with NO weight (the first setting/peg). Just get the form down first. And even if you don't "feel the work out" at the time you WILL feel the effects the next day. Those machines have been designed by mechanical engineers and kinesiologist who understand EVERY human body movement. And, unlike free weights... they force you to work out in "safe" motions that won't strain your back or arms. Do a few weeks with no plates/weights and then add some comfortable weight every few weeks.

Once you confirm that you have access to a gym, I'll detail a beginner ab and tricep work out for you.

~Wheatfreedude!

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

I eat nothing but eggs for breakfast when I travel internationally, partly because of my limited gluten-free options, and partly because they taste so freakin' good. :)

Oops! I forgot something. Even though I live in a metropolitan area, my neighbors owns 6 chickens. They give me eggs for free every week. I had a three egg omelette this morning.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

"As for your ab exercises and triceps (back arm), you probably are going to need assistance from a gym. As much as you travel, there are places like 24 Hour fitness in the West. Your membership is valid at any of them. And as you can guess, they are open 24 hours a day for hard working 12+ hour drivers like you."

Thanks for getting back to me.

We may have a problem. A lot of those places are in downtown areas where trucks are off limits to parking. Kind of hard to park a big truck and trailer in some of those small parking lots. Believe me. Lol.

Anyway, you can't recommend any type of exercise I can do here in the truck at all?

I need something I can do. I was talking with someone who mentioned while going down the road lift one leg up a couple inches off the floor and hold it for a few seconds then slowly lower it then repeat with the other. Was wondering if that would help?

Anyway, thanks for the advise.

Vicky

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

I need something I can do.

Hi Vicky:

You actually can get a pretty decent work out with a set of "Resistance Bands" and there are a variety of them available on Amazon. All of the sets contain a variety of sizes/strengths AND they include an instructional booklet too.

Attach them to a truck door, hotel door, tree or post and you have your own gym in minutes.

~Wheatfreedude~

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Thanks Wheatfreedude.

I'll try to get some.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Thanks Wheatfreedude.

I'll try to get some.

Good, inexpensive investment.

I wanted to add that my best friend from college is 6 foot 5 (big boy!). He's travels extensively for work and he swears by the resistance bands. He says he gets a great work out anywhere.

Let us know how they work out for you.

~Wheatfreedude~

Archived