This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did You Know Almost All gluten-free Baking Items Look Like A Fine White Powder?

TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I bought something awhile back, and in a cleaning frenzy, I dumped it into a mason jar without labeling it. :blink:

What was I thinking?

I know it must be gelatin or xanthan or guar---something like that.

Any idea how to tell what it is?

So, so foolish....

It reminds me of the time I did the same thing with salt and wound up mistaking it for sugar. When I took my brownies out of the the oven I thought, "Wow! These are really sparkly!" :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I bought something awhile back, and in a cleaning frenzy, I dumped it into a mason jar without labeling it. :blink:

What was I thinking?

I know it must be gelatin or xanthan or guar---something like that.

Any idea how to tell what it is?

So, so foolish....

It reminds me of the time I did the same thing with salt and wound up mistaking it for sugar. When I took my brownies out of the the oven I thought, "Wow! These are really sparkly!" :lol:

I'm not sure, but if you gave it to Rice Guy, the way he is always experimenting, I bet he could have it figured out by tomorrow morning :lol:

If you have any of the above already labeled, you could try comparing them side by side or tasting them to see what matched.

mushroom Proficient

If you have any of the above already labeled, you could try comparing them side by side or tasting them to see what matched.

I do this sometimes. I buy from a reliable bulk bin store and come home with a plastic bag of white powder, which I put in the pantry until the appropriate container becomes empty. But by that time, which is the appropriate container?? :lol: So I taste what's in the bag and then try white rice, or tapioca, or whatever.....Now I have learned and write in black marking pen on the bag before popping it in the pantry for another day :rolleyes:

Archived