This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shakeology

boysmom

boysmom Explorer

A friend has been using Shakeology Open Original Shared Link and has had great results. I looked over the ingredient list some time ago and saw wheat grass, barley grass, and oat grass and ruled it out as possible safe product for me. Today it was pointed out to me that this label also says it is gluten-free. Does anyone know anything about this protein shake?? I guess my concern is whether it is really gluen *free* or whether it's just 'gluten-free' by legal standards and will still be causing low-level glutening? I realize the protein we're avoiding is in the grain, I'm just not sure how they can be sure there isn't still a small amount of cross-contamination in the grasses they're using. Can anyone clear this up for me please?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

A friend has been using Shakeology Open Original Shared Link and has had great results. I looked over the ingredient list some time ago and saw wheat grass, barley grass, and oat grass and ruled it out as possible safe product for me. Today it was pointed out to me that this label also says it is gluten-free. Does anyone know anything about this protein shake?? I guess my concern is whether it is really gluen *free* or whether it's just 'gluten-free' by legal standards and will still be causing low-level glutening? I realize the protein we're avoiding is in the grain, I'm just not sure how they can be sure there isn't still a small amount of cross-contamination in the grasses they're using. Can anyone clear this up for me please?

I don't know anything about that company, but I have read on here of people reacting to wheat grass in vitamins that were labeled gluten free. IMO, those shakes would not be safe at all even if they say they are "gluten free".

• 1 month later...
hermitgirl Contributor

I can tell you that Shakeology made me violently ill. I only used half the packed of powder. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole after how sick it made me. I had never had such an intense reaction before, but had the same thing the last time I was glutened a few weeks ago.

Looking for answers Contributor

I personally don't eat any of the gluten grain grasses, even though they are supposed to be gluten free they make equally as sick. Plus, they are cheap filler ingredients - humans aren't supposed to eat grass ;)

• 6 years later...
Cpeabody Newbie

I am a Beachbody coach and have been drinking Shakeology for almost 2 years. It is an amazing product but those with Celiac need to make an informed decision on if they want to try it.  My son is 5 and has Celiac and I do not give him. I trust Beachbody and their statements but my son reacts to wheat grass and the vegan formulas have oat protein in them and unless those oats are certified gluten-free they can be troublesome for Celiac's.  My son can not eat any oats at all so the vegan option is out ans our regular formula has whey and he can not consume dairy either.  Just the oats alone without being certified is enough for me to opt out of giving him Shako.  Still on the hunt for something comparable that he will drink. He loved his Shakeology before being diagnosed! 

cyclinglady Grand Master
22 minutes ago, Cpeabody said:

I am a Beachbody coach and have been drinking Shakeology for almost 2 years. It is an amazing product but those with Celiac need to make an informed decision on if they want to try it.  My son is 5 and has Celiac and I do not give him. I trust Beachbody and their statements but my son reacts to wheat grass and the vegan formulas have oat protein in them and unless those oats are certified gluten-free they can be troublesome for Celiac's.  My son can not eat any oats at all so the vegan option is out ans our regular formula has whey and he can not consume dairy either.  Just the oats alone without being certified is enough for me to opt out of giving him Shako.  Still on the hunt for something comparable that he will drink. He loved his Shakeology before being diagnosed! 

Thanks for the warning.  But seriously, why not just eat a varied whole foods diet?  I take no supplements, am not deficient in anything per my GI (who runs  a complete nutritional panel annually), eat natural foods with very little processed foods and exercise.  Of course, I have been on the gluten-free diet for several years now, so I healed enough to absorb most nutrients.  I get the occasional need for quick foods, but long term, I think it is best and safest (especially for celiacs) to eat real food.  

I am glad that you are doing a great job protecting your son.  So far, my daughter has tested negative to celiac disease which is shocking since her Dad and I both have gluten issues.  Do you have a 504 plan in place for school?  Are his teachers and Adminstration supportive?  

• 4 weeks later...
Cpeabody Newbie

I am working on getting him a 504. His teacher is very supportive as is his school but I still want one for him for kindergarten next year.  He possibly has Gluten Ataxia meaning if he gets gluten it not only attacks his intestines but also his cerebellum.  When he is gluten he drops to the ground and then his brain fog is awful which effects his memory and will impact school.  The goal is to never get gluten or Cc but life happens as we know.  I totally agree on a whole foods diet, especially for Celiacs. He only eats spinach and apples for fruits and veggies so so absolutely need to supplement for him. That is not nearly enough nutrition for him, especially when he is healing.  Only protein source he will eat is chicken too and sometimes eggs. He's extremely picky. I hope your daughter never gets it!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived