• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Celiac And Seizures

4 posts in this topic

sugarsue    4

My 7 yr old dd has seizures that we believe are caused by gluten. She's been gluten free for over a year and has not had a seizure since.

I used to know within 10 minutes whether she had gluten (very bad BM's) but now things have changed and I can't tell any more. So I got a little lax on checking every ingredient. So she had a seizure this week. I have tracked back and I know where she got some good doses of gluten.

So of course I am getting the diet back under tight wraps. But this has me thinking. We don't have a celiac diagnosis but we do have a gluten intolerant diagnosis since the tests have been inconclusive. Does anyone know if seizures caused by gluten implies celiac? Or can non-celiac gluten intolerance cause seizures too. I think it is just splitting hairs since if gluten is causing her seizures, she can't eat any gluten.

Thanks.

Susan

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

mushroom    1,205

My 7 yr old dd has seizures that we believe are caused by gluten. She's been gluten free for over a year and has not had a seizure since.

I used to know within 10 minutes whether she had gluten (very bad BM's) but now things have changed and I can't tell any more. So I got a little lax on checking every ingredient. So she had a seizure this week. I have tracked back and I know where she got some good doses of gluten.

So of course I am getting the diet back under tight wraps. But this has me thinking. We don't have a celiac diagnosis but we do have a gluten intolerant diagnosis since the tests have been inconclusive. Does anyone know if seizures caused by gluten implies celiac? Or can non-celiac gluten intolerance cause seizures too. I think it is just splitting hairs since if gluten is causing her seizures, she can't eat any gluten.

Thanks.

Susan

The only experience I have with seizures is with my brother. He developed them late in life, and we come from a suspected total celiac family, although none of us has been tested. My sister and I are gluten free and my sister's daughter is diagnosed celiac. My brother was born with eczema all over his body, always had multiple issues including failure to thrive, digestive problems, and then the seizures wich were labelled petit mal but I don't think anyone ever did a thorough workup on him before he died (of seizure-related complications). I wish someone had thought to take him off gluten, because we were a mjaor gluten-eating family. But not much was known about celiac then. I don't know if I am celiac or gluten intolerant - I just don't eat gluten, period. As you say, it really doesn't make much difference, but there is a definite hereditary pattern in our family on both my mother's and father's side.

Skylark    935

That's wonderful that you figured out the cause of your daughter's seizures!

As you realize, the phrases we use to describe gluten intolerance are not as well-defined as one would like. There can be autoimmune reactions in the nervous system that are initiated by gluten and stop when gluten is removed from the diet, just like intestinal celiac sprue. They seem to involve a different transglutaminase enzyme and possibly are more associated with HLA-DQ1 gene subtypes. Some of the people with nervous system autoimmunity do not have the intestinal antibodies doctors look for when they diagnose celiac disease, and they may not have any GI symptoms from eating wheat. Strictly your daughter would not be "celiac" but in ten or twenty years the semantics may totally change.

sugarsue    4

Thank you both for your responses. I have seen a few other things that could possibly have been a seizure since that day but nothing like the first one I saw last week. Hopefully tightening her diet back up will take care of it. I have noticed her tummy hurting 1-2 days after a glutening. I think I just need to learn her new signs and of course start to be more careful again.

Susan