This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Outback Steakhouse

reelmensch

reelmensch Newbie

Has anyone tried ordering from the Gluten-Free menu at any of the Outback Steakhouse restaurants? It is the only restaurant menu I've ever seen where you can custom order virtually most of the items on the regular menu based on a written recommendation by the restaurant on what to avoid for a Gluten-Free meal. Go to Open Original Shared Link and download the menu. I wish more restaurants offered this type of service, and I won't be surprised if more do it in the very near future.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Frances03 Enthusiast

When we travel through Wyoming, Outback is about the only place I can find to eat! I've found they are pretty knowledgeable about their menu. I did have a problem ONCE when I found in a crouton in my salad. Since then, I've been more careful about ordering, making SURE they know that I cannot have ANY gluten, telling them not to make my salad with the others or in the same bowl croutons have been in, etc. But they always seem pretty educated about it. I usually get a steak with veggies and a salad.

sa1937 Community Regular

Has anyone tried ordering from the Gluten-Free menu at any of the Outback Steakhouse restaurants? It is the only restaurant menu I've ever seen where you can custom order virtually most of the items on the regular menu based on a written recommendation by the restaurant on what to avoid for a Gluten-Free meal. Go to Open Original Shared Link and download the menu. I wish more restaurants offered this type of service, and I won't be surprised if more do it in the very near future.

They do have a very nice gluten free menu and seem very knowledgeable.

My son and DIL took me to our local Outback for my recent birthday and I did have problems afterwards...this was the first time I've eaten out since going gluten free on April 9. Not sure I can blame Outback as I'm sure I ate more than normal, I got ranch dressing on the side for my salad (didn't realize they added shredded cheese...I should have asked more questions) or I possibly got glutened. I also had a rib eye steak and garlic mashed potatoes, all from the gluten free menu. The meal was delicious and the restaurant is always crazy busy even though we had a very early dinner.

So who knows what happened. I've been trying to avoid dairy, which obviously didn't happen with my menu choices. I have a dr. appt. tomorrow afternoon and will find out the results of the basic RAST test for food intolerances (not sure how accurate they are but it's a starting point as I still have daily issues). Maybe it's just too early in the healing process to consider eating out.

Traveller Rookie

Has anyone tried ordering from the Gluten-Free menu at any of the Outback Steakhouse restaurants?

In the past year and a half I've eaten from the Outback gluten-free menu on New York's east side, Orlando, Tampa, Winter Haven (Fl), two in northern Virginia, Kansas City, and just west of Foster City, CA. I've been there so many times recently I have the menu memorized.

In all the meals I've eaten, I've only had two problems:

1) One restaurant served me croutons in the salad, and because the croutons were covered with lettuce I didn't realize it until I finished a scrumptious, crunchy bite of the salad and found half a crouton in the bowl, and

2) The New York City Outback served au jus with the prime rib, contrary to the advice on the gluten-free menu. When I questioned the serving the manager said "we serve it this way because nine out of ten of our gluten-free diners don't react to it, and they like the taste". Because I didn't want to be the one out of ten that did react, I sent the food back, and they prepared a proper plate.

So, Outback's batting average is very, very good. I believe it's one of the best gluten-free dining options around. Of course, your mileage may vary....

My one tip is to try their pork loin. Although Outback is known for steaks, that pork loin was surprisingly good. It's my favorite menu item.

GFCFFoodie Newbie

I've successfully eaten gluten-free/CF at Outback twice now! The menu is great, the service has been great - I've been thoroughly impressed!!

I have heard that the salads are all tossed in the same bowl, with croutons. So it's very difficult to order a salad and know that it's not CC. So, I have not ordered salads at Outback.

sa1937 Community Regular

I've successfully eaten gluten-free/CF at Outback twice now! The menu is great, the service has been great - I've been thoroughly impressed!!

I have heard that the salads are all tossed in the same bowl, with croutons. So it's very difficult to order a salad and know that it's not CC. So, I have not ordered salads at Outback.

I ordered a regular dinner salad (without croutons) with dressing on the side. That type of salad is not tossed in a bowl or if I had wanted the other kind, you can request that they use a clean bowl (per our waitress).

jerseyangel Proficient

At Outback, I always order the small fillet with no seasonning, either the loaded baked potato or baked sweet potato, and the mixed veggies with no butter/seasonning. I'm leary of ordering salad anywhere.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MonKol Rookie

I have had 2 very positive experiences at Outback. Both times i ordered the small steak with baked potato and veggies. My husband had the ribs, which were delicious. No bread was bought to the table and our severs were extremely attentive. After a week travelling and eating subway salads it was like heaven! Highly recommend.

Archived