This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Those With Hypothyroidism

kimis

kimis Collaborator

I keep switching my thyroid meds around and I think I found a combo that works for me. In the morning I take a synthroid and Cytomel, and in the afternoon I take naturethroid. I would love to hear what other people are taking and how they are feeling.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Luckily, I convert T4 well and am doing fine on plain old levothyroxine. :)

Roda Rising Star

Since 2007 I take levothyroxine and cytomel in the morning and cytomel in the afternoon. I have felt the best ever on this combination. Before this I was only on levothyroxine.

kimis Collaborator

Since 2007 I take levothyroxine and cytomel in the morning and cytomel in the afternoon. I have felt the best ever on this combination. Before this I was only on levothyroxine.

So have you ever tried any of the natural brands? I think Cytomel rocks! I love it! I can't believe what a difference it has made in my life

Roda Rising Star

So have you ever tried any of the natural brands? I think Cytomel rocks! I love it! I can't believe what a difference it has made in my life

No I have never tried any of the natural thyroid medications. My current combination and dosage is working great. I feel really good. I felt even better after I got my vitamin D and ferritin back to normal. I even had my levothyroxine lowered last year, but unfortunately I think that will be the only decrease I will probably ever see. I started absorbing the medication better, so I was overmedicated. My current dosage has worked for about a year now. I see my endocrinologist every 4-6 months, so I get my levels checked regularly.

kimis Collaborator

No I have never tried any of the natural thyroid medications. My current combination and dosage is working great. I feel really good. I felt even better after I got my vitamin D and ferritin back to normal. I even had my levothyroxine lowered last year, but unfortunately I think that will be the only decrease I will probably ever see. I started absorbing the medication better, so I was overmedicated. My current dosage has worked for about a year now. I see my endocrinologist every 4-6 months, so I get my levels checked regularly.

if you don't mind my asking.... what strength of Synthroid amd Cytomel do you take? How did you get your vit D and ferritin back to normal? What time of day do you grt your blood drawn for you thyroid levels?

kimis Collaborator

if you don't mind my asking.... what strength of Synthroid amd Cytomel do you take? How did you get your vit D and ferritin back to normal? What time of day do you grt your blood drawn for you thyroid levels?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

num1habsfan Rising Star

I've been on Synthroid 25 micrograms for over 3 years now and it sure has seemed to do the trick, but if you read my post called excessive sleep you'll see that it's possible my thyroids may be out of whack again or that the Synthroid is no longer doing the trick.

It is the only hypothyroidism med that I've been prescribed but I like it. I don't seem to get any side effects from it at all. At least none that affect my daily living!

Roda Rising Star

I am currently taking 112 mcg of levothyroxine and 5 mcg of cytomel in the morning and then another 5 mcg of cytomel in the early afternoon. It was at the six month mark post diagnosis that I was having symptoms of overmedication (labs confirmed this too) that the endo lowered me from the 125 mcg of levothyroxine to the 112 mcg. I usually have my enocrinologist appointments in the late afternoon and go for labs after that, so I would say around 4:00 p.m. I had chronic low iron/ferritin since 2006 but wasn't able to tolerate oral iron supplementation until around 6+ months after celiac diagnosis. I healed enough that the iron did not aggrivate my reflux. At that point the GI doctor had me take two Slow FE tablets a day. I made sure I staggered it so it would not interfere with the thyroid meds. I was tested for vitamin D 3 months after diagnosis and it was in the toilet. I've been taking prescription vitamin D ever since (50,000 iu capsule once a week) and my levels are great now.

kimis Collaborator

I am currently taking 112 mcg of levothyroxine and 5 mcg of cytomel in the morning and then another 5 mcg of cytomel in the early afternoon. It was at the six month mark post diagnosis that I was having symptoms of overmedication (labs confirmed this too) that the endo lowered me from the 125 mcg of levothyroxine to the 112 mcg. I usually have my enocrinologist appointments in the late afternoon and go for labs after that, so I would say around 4:00 p.m. I had chronic low iron/ferritin since 2006 but wasn't able to tolerate oral iron supplementation until around 6+ months after celiac diagnosis. I healed enough that the iron did not aggrivate my reflux. At that point the GI doctor had me take two Slow FE tablets a day. I made sure I staggered it so it would not interfere with the thyroid meds. I was tested for vitamin D 3 months after diagnosis and it was in the toilet. I've been taking prescription vitamin D ever since (50,000 iu capsule once a week) and my levels are great now.

I am so happy you are doing well. I have not yet gotten to the point where I can talerate any supps at all....and I try them all! Even the kids ones....just to see. I found a SL vit D...but it still seems to hurt my GI track. I am so careful not to gluten myself too...so I don't think it's that. I take 25 synthriod and 10 cytomel. It's gonna get raised next fri cause my labs were off. Kinda weird...my tsh stayed the same but my t3 and t4 dropped. I don't understand how that is possible.

lucia Enthusiast

My doctor thinks I have hypothyroidism, even though my labs don't show it. I have all the symptoms.

I'm confused about the long term consequences of thyroid malfunction. If I am hypothyroidic, is this for life? Or, is this a temporary consequence of celiac (like food intolerances)?

georgie Enthusiast

Perhaps you have Type 2 HypoThyroidism. The thyroid hormone levels are there but your cells are resistant to them and cannot absorb them. Like Type 2 diabetes that cannot use insulin effectively.

Dr Starr has a good book.

Open Original Shared Link

Have you had Thyroid antibodies tested to see if you have autoimmune thyroidism? A/i thyroid can look strange in blood tests if the levels are unstable.

If you have thyroid disease it is usually for life but a gluten-free diet can drop the antibodies really low so you can probably manage with minimal medications for a while and maybe some natural meds like iodine and selenium etc. It depends how the antibodies are. You want them kept close to zero.

My doctor thinks I have hypothyroidism, even though my labs don't show it. I have all the symptoms.

I'm confused about the long term consequences of thyroid malfunction. If I am hypothyroidic, is this for life? Or, is this a temporary consequence of celiac (like food intolerances)?

Skylark Collaborator

Actually, my Hashi's antibodies came up after I'd been gluten-free for a while so it's not true for everyone. I wish it were.

Recovering from thyroid malfunction depends on the cause. If it's Graves' or autoimmune it often does not resolve from gluten-free diet. If it's from iodine deficiency it can.

lucia Enthusiast

My doctor prescribed a low dosage of Levothyroxine. I'm reacting to the corn starch in it.

I read there are natural forms of thyroid medication. Any suggestions for which one to recommend to my doctor?

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I take NatureThroid and a compounded T3. The combination seems to work well for me. NatureThroid is a dessicated thyroid pill, much like Armour.

I also supplement with Vitamin D.

My Ferritin level 2 years ago was around 8 or 9 and is now way up, around a 100 which is in the normal range but seems high now. And, I don't have to take a nap everyday anymore.

bluebonnet Explorer

i take levothyroxine. i've tried several other brands but for the past 2 years i've been on this. i've taken thyroid meds for 18 years and i've never heard of people taking some in the a.m. and some in the p.m. i always thought it was 1 pill a day in the a.m. i just get it checked once a year now. we'll see if being gluten free helps this condition (for me) next time i'm tested.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I take my thyroid meds in the a.m. and p.m. I think this is done more with the natural dessicated thyroid medications.

georgie Enthusiast

Erfa Thyroid from Canada is very good. It is almost exactly the same as the 'old' formula Armour ( before they changed the formula). It can also be used sublingually which is great for anyone with absorption problems. Mary shomon had a page on how to get the Dr to write the generic script.

My doctor prescribed a low dosage of Levothyroxine. I'm reacting to the corn starch in it.

I read there are natural forms of thyroid medication. Any suggestions for which one to recommend to my doctor?

kimis Collaborator

For the people who take or have tried the natural thyroid replacements..... why do you think it is better than the synthetic? I would love to know what your symptoms were that went away after starting the natural. I had alot of symptoms come back after switching to just natural. I love Cytomel! I do not care much for synthroid at all. Has anyone ever tried a natural combined with Cytomel?

• 2 weeks later...
mscan91 Newbie

I always took levo. Made my hair fall out though :/

Everyone is different though.

• 4 weeks later...
SaraKat Contributor

I take 25mcg of Synthroid.

kimis Collaborator

I just got my labs back today and I am more confused than ever. I raised my synthroid/cytomel August 1st and my t3 and t4 are lower than they ever have been....my tsh has stayed at 2.5. What is going on?

bincongo Contributor

I was diagnosed hypothyroid last year and then Celiac this July. If my thyroid is autoimmune (Hashimoto) is it important to know this. I go in for labs this Thursday and don't know if I should ask for differnt Thyroid tests.

Looking for answers Contributor

I don't have a lot of info to share, but I suffer from low t3 but normal tsh. While doing research I found information that these types of results could mean there's an issue with your pituitary gland...it's not signaling to increase or decrease tsh as it should be with the rise and drop in the other hormones.

kimis Collaborator

I don't have a lot of info to share, but I suffer from low t3 but normal tsh. While doing research I found information that these types of results could mean there's an issue with your pituitary gland...it's not signaling to increase or decrease tsh as it should be with the rise and drop in the other hormones.

I have a tumor on my pituitary gland. I was really upset about it for a few years cause it was growing and I was unsure if my symptoms were from the tumor or the hashi's. The Docs I saw for the tumor all told me it was nothing and to forget about it. I always though they were wrong about that but I will bring this info up at my next endo app.

Archived