• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

How Cool Is This?!

23 posts in this topic

celiac3270    4

http://www.moberg.com/celiac/courses/movies/cupboard.swf

This is a celiac game...reading labels. :lol: Not something we would need, but maybe good for kids who are just learning. There is one mistake. On one of the foods it says that you need to check maltodextrin for the source--really, it's always gluten-free in the US unless it says wheat in front of it, but hey!

:D:P:lol:

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Carriefaith    5

cool!

On one of the foods it says that you need to check maltodextrin for the source--really, it's always gluten-free in the US unless it says wheat in front of it, but hey!

That's ok we still have to check here in Canada!

Carriefaith    5
I need this in real life
:lol:

HA! Wouldn't that just be convenient! A portable device that scans the bar code or something and says "yes! gluten free" or "no! not for you" :D

Ads by Google:

Carriefaith    5
Wait... maltodextrin in foods manufactured in the U.S. are always gluten-free??
yes... apparently, if there is wheat they won't hide it (unlike Canada)

lovegrov    148

Maltodextrin in foods in the U.S. is NOT always gluten-free, but if it's made from the manufacturer is by law required to clearly state that. Occasionally you will see "wheat maltodextrin" or "maltodextrin (wheat)". Some maltodextrin from Europe is made from wheat because of their fear of GMO corn.

richard

Ads by Google:

VydorScope    31

Welp I got 100%, but I sent it to my in-laws who I will be staying with in August... hopefuly they will learn somthing by playing it befor they posion my toddler!

sweeet_pea    0

I'm new to the gluten free diet and am VERY careful with labels and am still learning. This was a quick fun game to play, thank you!! I did not get 100 % but I did not do that bad either. I learned malt flavoring has gluten in it and didnt know that before.

Thank you!! :)

jenvan    7

Heck yeah--I played that game and I butt :P

However, I still have labels out in the real world that puzzle me from time to time...

I sent it to my friends--we'll see how they do !

Ads by Google:

jenvan    7

Oops! I should have proofed that one!

I meant to say I kicked butt :P Not, I butt !

KaitiUSA    7

I kicked butt too!!! :D

I got them all right...I'm going to send it to some friends and see how they do

Guest gfinnebraska   
Guest gfinnebraska

Great idea to send to friends/family to let them see how to read labels!! By the way... I got 100% ~ BUT, one thing the game doesn't represent is cross contamination issues. I would never eat the chips in the game due to that fact!! :)

plantime    12

Good game for beginners. It is a start on teaching folks to read the labels! I got 100%, by the way! :D

celiac3270    4

I love the sarcastic touch, too. Like on the side of one of the corn flake boxes (the left one) (before you click on it) it says something about how there's a chance you could win $100,000, but more likely, you'll get a piece of worthless plastic. :lol:

On the same box, this time when you click it, it recommends that you add one cup of milk and fifteen teaspoons of sugar. For maximum impact, eat it really quickly while watching high impact cartoons in the morning. Sweeten to taste with more sugar. LOL

Yes, a good game for people who don't yet get it. A little more lighthearted. If it addressed cross-contamination, though, then you'd have to get into calling the companies and such...too complicated :P

Ads by Google:

I didn't think before I went there that I was going to do that good, but I got 100%. Unfortunately most of the labels I read are not that simple. :(

2old4    0

I did the test, I got caught on the "other" soy sauce! Tupid, Tupid......2old4

ponita    0

What fun! My 9 yo son took the quiz with me and we scored 100%. I'm gluten free for 1 year now and needless to say in our home it's a "family" change of lifestyle, so for my son to rate 100%, it shows how he's been paying attention.

Melissa

celiachap    0

I cannot do more than one at a time - the game freezes on whatver I picked and I have to close it and start it over, or open it in a different window. I can't get my score, or the correct answers, either LOL.

hsd1203    0

fun and educational... but would be more realistic if half of the stuff in the pantry listed my least favorite "ingredient"... natural flavors. makes me sooo very frustrated every time I see it. and sometimes when you call they cant/wont even tell you what it is!

although I think it is hilarious that there is a line of organic juice at a major healthfood store that lists organic natural flavoring as an ingredient. really, if you're that concerned about what you're eating that you'll buy organic, are you really just going to buy organic whatever and not know what they're putting in your food???

Guest BERNESES   
Guest BERNESES

That was fun! I have to add that "natural flavors" is now my least favorite ingredient as well as it NEVER occured to me until I drank Tropicana lemonade and got so sick last week. I looked it up on thye Delphi list and sure enough, it was hidden under natural flavors. Could someone PLEAZZZZZ tell me what gluten is doing in lemonade? Arrrgghhhh....

I got a 100%. If only all labels were that simple!

Guest BERNESES   
Guest BERNESES

Oh it gets better! It happened AGAIN this week. June 21st, a beautiiful day in my little summer seacoast city of Portsmouth, Summer Solstice, full strawberry moon- it's gorgeous so my husband and I go for a bike ride and decide- "Let's go have a margarita at one of the decks down by the harbor" "Great Idea!" So I get a frozen strawberry margarita with Patron silver tequila (because I know it has no coloring and no gluten) and the next day I have one hell of a hangover (Mind you, I had ONE drink). By noon, I'm realizing this is no hangover-- I'm glutened. So I call the restaurant and ask the manager to read me the ingredients on the strawberry margarita mix and he reads them- nothing resembling gluten until the last ingredient- natural flavors! Needless to say two days later i still have that "hangover" and am thinking about getting a shirt that says "I Hate Natural Flavors" :P