This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Young Adults In Dairy Denial D:

HSM

HSM Newbie

I have been eating gluten-free for over a year now, and although symptoms have improved, I am still sensitive to dairy. I have eliminated a large majority of the dairy from my diet, but am still consuming SOME yoghurt (plain),cottage cheese, natural chedder cheese and worst of all, the occasional bowl of ice cream

I tend to regret it within a few hours but I'm too stubborn to quit dairy all together

Is anyone else out there experiencing dairy withdrawls?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Absolutely! it's so hard- some dairy im ok with- small amounts of cottage cheese, ricotta, & butter. but cream, milk, ice cream, & aged cheese are hard on my system :(

i have to stop it or limit it, but im not ready yet <_<

so, ya i totally understand.

oh, also, i get GOAT milk yogurt at whole foods- and am fine with it. and Hemp milk with my gluten-free cereal- not bad.

HSM Newbie

Absolutely! it's so hard- some dairy im ok with- small amounts of cottage cheese, ricotta, & butter. but cream, milk, ice cream, & aged cheese are hard on my system :(

i have to stop it or limit it, but im not ready yet <_<

so, ya i totally understand.

oh, also, i get GOAT milk yogurt at whole foods- and am fine with it. and Hemp milk with my gluten-free cereal- not bad.

I drink almond milk straight, and with cereal... It's quite good and one of the better milk alternatives (nutrition-wise)

I am sensitive to goat milk/cheese as well, but I have tried Soy cheese and it's not bad...just not the same :(

Have you tried the lacteeze (sp.?) pill? I've heard it helps but I am a little hesitant to try it

missceliac2010 Apprentice

I drink almond milk straight, and with cereal... It's quite good and one of the better milk alternatives (nutrition-wise)

I am sensitive to goat milk/cheese as well, but I have tried Soy cheese and it's not bad...just not the same :(

Have you tried the lacteeze (sp.?) pill? I've heard it helps but I am a little hesitant to try it

I stay away from lactose as much as possible. On the internet somewhere I found a clear listing of how much lactose is in a variety of commonly consumed milk products. I have the list posted on my refrigerator. I totally avoid cow's milk (very high level of lactose) and ice cream (also high). I do however, eat cheeses and frozen yogurt with fairly good success with the help of Lactaid pills. The problem is remembering to take 2 before I eat the cheese or fro yo. My bf jokes that we need another sign on the fridge that says "Did you take your Lactaid yet?" LOL! If I take the Lactaid (and you can get cheap generic versions at Wal-Mart or Target), then I tend to be fine. If I forget, or take it after the first bite or two, forget it...it's a waste of time/money/energy. You must take it before your first bite to get it to work.

Good luck, and I highly recommend vanilla soy milk or almond milk for cereal, soy yogurt (still yummy) and Lactaid for anything else you dairy that you simply can't live without or are too stubborn to give up. (Yes, I'm a stubborn red-head...and I want my cheese and fro-yo dang it!) :0)

• 1 year later...
SkylerGurl05 Newbie

I'm lactose intolerant I diagnosed myself! I can not what so ever have milk! Like in some ice creams. Mashed Potatoes, have milk, green bean casserole.. But pretty much I can have cheese, yogurt.. I also take Lactaid pills 1pill if I want chocolate milk! Lol but like at thanksgiving I ate green bean casserole and totally forgot that it had milk in it about 20-30 mins later my tummy starts hurting so bad and I thought great it had milk in it... So I quickly take the Lactaid pill and my symptoms slowly go away!

Booghead Contributor

I self diagnosed lactose intolerance before I was diagnosed with Celiacs. The only thing I avoid is milk. I am thinking I should probably cut it all out. And I have never heard of Lactaid pills? Can anyone explain? :P But before I stopped drinking milk I was feeling these severe withdrawals to drink it. And not just a glass but several. As soon as I cut if off for a free days it stopped. I still want an occasional drink but I ignore it and grab another glass of water... I drink LOTS of water.

• 1 month later...
Nxsquid Newbie

I can't give up cheese, no matter how much it makes my stomach hurt or how much my mom badgers me. I'm not a shining example, sorry xD

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I can't give up cheese, no matter how much it makes my stomach hurt or how much my mom badgers me. I'm not a shining example, sorry xD

I'm SOOO with you. By comparison, giving up gluten was way easier then giving up cheese... and butter. I can give up all the other dairy... but not cheese and butter... period.

Skylark Collaborator

I want milk in my coffee again. *whine* Don't even make me think about cheese. :(

I tolerated dairy for a while but right now it makes me feel ill and tired. I am off it strictly but not happy about it.

GFinDC Veteran

i eat Daiya cheese substitute instead. Daiya is soy free and dairy free. Not too bad really.

I wonder if coconut milk would be good in coffee? Maybe with a little cinnamon sprinkled on? :)

Skylark Collaborator

i eat Daiya cheese substitute instead. Daiya is soy free and dairy free. Not too bad really.

I wonder if coconut milk would be good in coffee? Maybe with a little cinnamon sprinkled on? :)

That Daiya looks good but I'm avoiding starch in the hopes of healing my gut and tolerating dairy again. I'm really glad to know it's out there, though.

The best I've found for coffee is almond milk. Coconut milk isn't bad but it's kind of thin. Rice milk is thin too, plus it has starch. Soy milk tends to curdle if you like your coffee hot the way I do. (Plus I'm avoiding soy.) Hemp milk is awful, at least the brand I tried. It has a strong flavor that clashes with coffee.

revenant Enthusiast

Yeah have trouble with dairy, I sometimes go back and forth, have trouble staying off of it, it's really addicting! It goes right along with my intense sugar addiction and i also have a sugar sensitivity. Chocolate, oh my god... Chocolate...

Coconut milk is really good replacement. I find it's especially milk like in icecream, and you can even make it yourself at home with some cans of full fat coconut milk, or buy the coconut bliss brand. Has anybody tried home-made nut milks? Almond, hazelnut or cashew milk? I've tried almond milk but I didn't make it almondy enough so it tasted watery, but I hear it can be quite good made with a good blender.

GlutenFreeAustinite Contributor

I used to be severely lactose/casein intolerant. I've been off gluten for a year and a half, and I gradually was able to tolerate ice cream, heavy whipping cream, and butter. Any aged cheeses, cheese, yogurt, half and half, etc, almost killed me. Now I can eat it all. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Buffheart Apprentice

I first suspected lactose intolerance a few months ago but was too stubborn to eliminated it. You are talking to a person who used to drink 3-6 glasses of milk a day. That's in addition to the cereal, cheese, coffee creamer, etc. I've tried soy milk and rice milk as well as soy ice cream, but it's just not the same. It doesn't smell the same nor taste the same and I can never make myself stick with it for long, though I am still trying. Sigh.

Skylark Collaborator

I finally figured out something good for coffee. Use the rich coconut milk that comes in a can, not the watered-down "coconut milk" beverage. B) I even found an organic brand that doesn't have any guar gum or other additives. It gets a little lumpy in the fridge from the coconut oil but it dissolves fine in hot coffee.

• 2 weeks later...
pixiestargirl Newbie

Aside from having the worst time giving up cheese (or even cutting back; I eat it on a near daily basis), I'm a Starbucks barista so there are constant dairy temptations. I have a cane sugar sensitivity so I try to avoid the soy milk, and the Lactose free milk makes me gassy :(

Plus, I have a ridiculous weakness for whipped cream when I'm at work.

Argh!

• 4 weeks later...
thecritter93 Newbie

Oh wow! This thread made me laugh so hard! I joined up just so I could reply!

My GP thinks I may be a Coeliac because I am bordering on being anemic. No matter what I do, I can't get my iron levels up!

Anyway, yeah I laughed cause this is so me! I was told that I was lactose intolerant as a baby/young child, but I eventually was able to tolerate dairy. I mean, if I had a milkshake/iced chocolate from The Coffee Club or something I'd feel really ill, but how often did I have them? I also had problems if I had a fair bit of chocolate.

Just recently, over Christmas, I was staying at my grandparents place for the week, and they have a crazy number of teas and coffee's. In one day we had 4 cups of tea, 2 coffees, two small bowls of ice cream and yogurt. I thought my stomach was going to explode!! Since then, I seem to be having difficulty with any lactose at all! Before I started the Coeliac diet, I was having the low fat Zymil milk on cereal which was much better. Recently I've been ignoring the whole dairy thing, and just having it anyway.. icecream (gluten-free gelato - I swear it has lactose!), iced coffees (on skim milk, no ice-cream/cream).. chocolate.. yogurt.. cheese.. OUCH!!! This morning my stomach feels as if it's just going to run away and leave me here - I wouldn't blame it actually!! :P

It's so good to know that there are other people who are like me, and keep messing up!

• 5 weeks later...
desperateforhealth Apprentice

YESS! I miss dairy so much. But I quit it for good when I quit gluten almost three months ago. Today was the first time I have had chocolate in almost THREE MONTHS just because I never wanted to buy any that was dairy free, and then finally today I found some that my parents bought. It was beautifully delicious, I am still high from the endorphin.

I miss cheese the most though. :(

CassandraMajere Newbie

I have been eating gluten-free for over a year now, and although symptoms have improved, I am still sensitive to dairy. I have eliminated a large majority of the dairy from my diet, but am still consuming SOME yoghurt (plain),cottage cheese, natural chedder cheese and worst of all, the occasional bowl of ice cream

I tend to regret it within a few hours but I'm too stubborn to quit dairy all together

Is anyone else out there experiencing dairy withdrawls?

Ooh BIG time. When I cut dairy for the first time in 7th grade, I craved milk all the time. Though nowadays I've lost my taste for dairy milk because soymilk is so much richer and creamier, but other treats like cookies, ice cream, cheese, and pizza I miss bitterly. Whenever my friends are eating them around me and I'm not, I feel so deprived and like I'm sacrificing my soul.

mushroom Proficient

I first suspected lactose intolerance a few months ago but was too stubborn to eliminated it. You are talking to a person who used to drink 3-6 glasses of milk a day. That's in addition to the cereal, cheese, coffee creamer, etc. I've tried soy milk and rice milk as well as soy ice cream, but it's just not the same. It doesn't smell the same nor taste the same and I can never make myself stick with it for long, though I am still trying. Sigh.

Try hemp and almond milk and coconut ice cream :)

Ninja Contributor

I'm with you guys. I can't let go of the cheese. :(

• 1 month later...
patz16 Rookie

Yeah, I was in denial about the lactose intolerance last week but I was getting very sick again so I was forced to get rid of it and now I feel a lot better because of it. When I have the cravings I try to remember the times in my life where I would have given anything up to feel ok again. It usually doesn't seem as bad after that. Plus imitation cheese is good too :) and some lactaid ice cream

anabananakins Explorer

This thread is helping psych me up to go dairy free. It seems so much harder than gluten free, but I've had two months straight of respiratory stuff and that coincides with a higher than usual for me dairy intake...it's time to give it a real try.

Archived