This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Uti

mommyto3

mommyto3 Contributor

I just got a call from my doctor advising me that my urine test came back positive for a UTI. I've had them before. They are brutal.

Strange thing is that I have NO symptoms. I was getting tested for something else and this just happened to show up. The test was done a week ago and I still have no symptoms.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My whole life I've always had the most brutal symptoms with a UTI. The only thing that I've changed in the last few months is going gluten free. I'm sure it's not even related.....I'm just shocked. I did have constant bladder irritation while eating gluten (for the last 6 years on and off) and that resolved when I went gluten free so I'm just wondering if the two could be related.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Weird. I wonder if they messed up the test? It's hard to imagine a UTI with no symptoms. I also had bladder irritation that resolved somewhat going gluten-free. It still troubles me sometimes but not enough to put up with a bunch of poking and prodding to learn nothing new.

mommyto3 Contributor

Weird. I wonder if they messed up the test? It's hard to imagine a UTI with no symptoms. I also had bladder irritation that resolved somewhat going gluten-free. It still troubles me sometimes but not enough to put up with a bunch of poking and prodding to learn nothing new.

It's really strange but I actually think the test is correct. I've been dead tired the last week with lots of cramping. I feel "off" but not with the usual symptoms.

It's sad but I think I'm just so used to having slight bladder irritation that I ignore it and maybe I missed mild symptoms. Before I went gluten free my bladder was so irritated and this was on and off for a number of years. The improvement after eliminating gluten was nothing short of amazing. I knew the first week of being gluten free that it was the gluten causing my problem. My bladder can still be touchy at times (probably still healing) but nothing like before.

Thanks for the info!

BethM55 Enthusiast

It's really strange but I actually think the test is correct. I've been dead tired the last week with lots of cramping. I feel "off" but not with the usual symptoms.

It's sad but I think I'm just so used to having slight bladder irritation that I ignore it and maybe I missed mild symptoms. Before I went gluten free my bladder was so irritated and this was on and off for a number of years. The improvement after eliminating gluten was nothing short of amazing. I knew the first week of being gluten free that it was the gluten causing my problem. My bladder can still be touchy at times (probably still healing) but nothing like before.

Thanks for the info!

Bladder irritation from gluten? Heck, I didn't think about that.

The other morning I had Bob's Red Mill gluten free Mighty Good Hot Cereal mixed with Bob's Creamy Rice cereal, and chopped walnuts, blueberries, brown sugar and Rice Dream, then had serious bladder spasms most of the rest of the day. My bladder often kicks into overdrive for a couple of hours, after a high carb breakfast, but not usually that bad. Not even thinking, I had the leftovers for a late dinner after work the same evening, with the same results. Gluten? Or carb overload? Hard to tell, but this reaction was different than usual.

Bob's products should be safe, I haven't had any problems with them before. Just when I find something I really like...

Archived