• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
BrooklynFamily

Blue Diamond Natural Almond Nut Thins- Gluten Free Or Not?

Rate this topic

Hi-

I just recently bought a box of Blue Diamond Natural Almond Nut Thins as a cracker option for my 28-month old son who has Celiac Disease. The box says "gluten free" all over it, but when I got home and read the box more closely, I found that it also says "Produced in a facility that also makes products containing: soy, pecans, hazelnuts and wheat." This is followed by "Each production run is sampled and tested to confirm gluten levels do not exceed 20 ppm." And then they proudly proclaim that they support the Celiac Disease Foundation.

So, I'm sort of new to this and since I'm not Celiac, it's hard for me to know if 20ppm of gluten is too much. My inclination is to throw them out, or at least keep them away from my son. What would you do? Does less than 20ppm mean "gluten-free" for everybody? Or are some people so sensitive that 20 ppm is too much? I've been avoiding "processed in a plant that also processes wheat" products up until now.

What would you do?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Okay, hold on, don't get too hung up on 20ppm. They didn't say the product contains any gluten at all, much less that it was 20ppm gluten.

What they said is that they are aware that cross-contamination is possible, so they test. The test, like all tests, has a sensitivity limit. The one they use is sensitive to 20ppm. (The best test available is sensitive to 5ppm, but it is too expensive to be used in a mainstream product marketed to everybody.) No test can test for zero (ever), so no product can make a guarantee that it is absolutely 100% gluten-free.

With most mainstream products, there is no test at all, so accidental cc could be even higher than 20ppm, were it to occur.

• Upvote 2

I consider them gluten-free and eat them all the time. I think they even have their own line, although there is wheat somewhere in the building.

richard

• Upvote 1

We all vary in our sensitivity to trace gluten. You will come to know how sensitive your son is. I am very sensitive and I can't eat those crackers without regretting it.

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

I'm sensitive as well but I eat these with no issue.....actually eating them right now.

• Upvote 1

I am new to this also....  Eating them now, I will let you know!  ;)

Hi Msafford!  The original post here was 4 years ago, so the product information may have changed since then.  Especially if you use the search function to see if something is safe or not, take a look at the date.  Of course even if you are new here the one thing drilled into your head is "read every label every time." So hopefully you already did :)  But I can tell you that nut thins are many people's favorite gluten-free crackers and you are totally fine.  I like the pecan ones by themselves or with peanut butter.  Also good with mild white cheeses. I like the others, too, but the pecan ones the most.  Enjoy your snack :)

Hi Msafford!  The original post here was 4 years ago, so the product information may have changed since then.  Especially if you use the search function to see if something is safe or not, take a look at the date.  Of course even if you are new here the one thing drilled into your head is "read every label every time." So hopefully you already did :)  But I can tell you that nut thins are many people's favorite gluten-free crackers and you are totally fine.  I like the pecan ones by themselves or with peanut butter.  Also good with mild white cheeses. I like the others, too, but the pecan ones the most.  Enjoy your snack :)

Well hello back Laura!

Thank you for the heads-up on posting dates... I hadn't thought about that; so very much to learn!!  :D

The Nut Thins have been so awesome to eat and they have been very good to me. LOL  :lol:    I am so happy to have found them....not a bad price either!

I finally got my kitchen about 90% gluten-free today.  The rest of my family has one section in the corner where they can mix up the things they still like to eat and have regular bread, crackers, buns, snacks, etc.  They all seem to be aware of the situation and are really doing a good job of CC.  I've purchased all my flours, starches, xanthan gum, guar gum, pectin, et.al and now I am ready to start baking!

Like I said before, if I get anything really good (please don't hold your breath as it will probably be a while, hehe)  I promise to share!

Michelle

Ads by Google: