This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mass Doc

anniej55

anniej55 Apprentice

Anyone have a name of a doctor in Massachusetts? Preferably Worcester area.

Thanks!

Ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emsmom Apprentice

Hi ,

I am also looking for one in the worcester area i would prefer a pediatric dr

i tried childerns but find that they are not to aware of celiac disease. My DD has been gluten-free since december and I have a few questions for a gi let me know if you find a good one.

anniej55 Apprentice

I know that there are doctors in Boston, I just don't want to take that route if I can avoid it. I'd be driving in alone ... and it's at least an hour.

Here are the names from the Clan Thompson list: Open Original Shared Link

Catherine Petruff Cheney, MD

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

330 Brookline Avenue

Boston, MA 02215

Telephone: 617-667-1846

Div. of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Instructor of Medicine, Harvard Med. School

email: cpetruff@bidmc.harvard.edu

Richard J. Grand, M.D.

New England Medical Center.

Ciaran Kelly, MD: Gastroenterologist

Beth Israel Hospital

Boston, MA

Tel.: (617) 667-1272

Gary J. Russell, M.D.

Massachusetts General Hospital.

Patricia Shechter

Department of Epidemiology

Harvard School of Public Health

Telephone: 617/432-0207

Fax: 617/432-1884

Email: pats@epinet.harvard.edu

Jerry S. Trier, MD

Brigham & Women's Hospital

75 Francis St.

Boston, MA 02215

Tel.: (617) 732-5824

Ann

• 2 weeks later...
Ruth Enthusiast

Gastroenterologist in Milford, MA: Treats adults and kids:

Dr. Albert Crimaldi, Milford Gastroenterology Speicalists

Children's Hospital, Boston (also office hours in Lexington) Dr. Glen Furuta.

Both very good and knowledgable about celiac disease.

• 3 weeks later...
anniej55 Apprentice

Ruth,

Well, well. Dr. Crimaldi IS my GI .... I just haven't seen or talked to him since the diagnosis. My primary care is the one who told me and said " you must follow the diet". I do have a follow up with Dr. Crimaldi on the 25th of this month. I better start writing down my questions .... he is super nice and did my colonoscopy. I thought he went into the small intestine because I mentioned the diagnosis of celiac disease; he obviously had it planned all along.

My hematologist is wonderful too - Dr. Constatine at Milford Regional.

Thanks for the help

Ann

• 5 months later...
akaris Newbie

Gary J. Russell, M.D.

Massachusetts General Hospital.

Patricia Shechter

Department of Epidemiology

Harvard School of Public Health

Telephone: 617/432-0207

Fax: 617/432-1884

Email: pats@epinet.harvard.edu

Hello,

The infomation given for Dr. Gary Russell is incorrect... the phone number above is actually my office phone number and I am not affiliated with celiac disease treatment or research. I've e-mailed the Clan Thompson list in hopes that they can remove my number...

Thanks....

kathy1 Contributor

I would also be interested in a Pediactic Dr in Mass. I live in western ma but would be willing to travel to consult with an expert.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb4480 Newbie
I would also be interested in a Pediactic Dr in Mass. I live in western ma but would be willing to travel to consult with an expert.

I see Dr. Canan Avunduk in Melrose, MA. Dr. Gary Levine at Dartmouth Hithchcock Medical Center in NH diagnosed me though. Both doctors are great.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BERNESES

I have heard great things about Dr. Levine. I just saw Dr. Catherine Cheney at Beth Israel (but she also has an office in Lexington, MA) and so far, I'm impressed. I have heard her colleague, Ciaran Kelly is good as well.

Amzippity Newbie
I have heard great things about Dr. Levine. I just saw Dr. Catherine Cheney at Beth Israel (but she also has an office in Lexington, MA) and so far, I'm impressed. I have heard her colleague, Ciaran Kelly is good as well.

I'm going to see Dr. Cheney in Lexington next week. I got her name out of Open Original Shared Link, in which there was a list of recommended doctors. There might be one in the Worcester area as well, I can check when I go home.

francelajoie Explorer

Not to change the subject here but seems to be a few people in the Worcester area. You guys interested in meeting or something?

ebrbetty Rising Star

I Call my Gastro the "idiot" I was going to him for over a year, he put me through every test you can think of, kept telling me if I just did a cleanse I would feel better, 3 times he had me cleanse, still sick as a dog, then he said to try a antidepressant. I went back to my PCD he did the celiac disease blood test, came back positive, I called the idiot gastro [while waiting for results] to ask him if he did a biopsy the last time he had me in the hospital for tests, he said " no, because celiac is a problem with diarrhea, nothing more, no stomach pain at all" I just hung up the phone. one year of severe pain, test after test, not one bit of help..his name is Dr. Crimaldi, It scares me to see his name on a recommended list

anniej55 Apprentice
I Call my Gastro the "idiot" I was going to him for over a year, he put me through every test you can think of, kept telling me if I just did a cleanse I would feel better, 3 times he had me cleanse, still sick as a dog, then he said to try a antidepressant. I went back to my PCD he did the celiac disease blood test, came back positive, I called the idiot gastro [while waiting for results] to ask him if he did a biopsy the last time he had me in the hospital for tests, he said " no, because celiac is a problem with diarrhea, nothing more, no stomach pain at all" I just hung up the phone. one year of severe pain, test after test, not one bit of help..his name is Dr. Crimaldi, It scares me to see his name on a recommended list

Hmmm ... I see Dr. Crimaldi also. He did the correct blood tests and wanted to do a biopsy, but I opted to put it off due to other pressing medical conditions. I find him very thorough, knowledgeable, supportive and caring. He explains everything - to the point of going over the allotted appt time - and even called me on a Saturday to give me the results of a (different) biopsy. He never ever said that celiacs was a disease of diarrhea; he in fact stressed that I would get a stomach ache if I ate the bagel I was craving. I don't know why we have such a different point of view on him. All I know is that I've done my research, came in with questions and scary concerns and he answered everything I asked him. I even asked other people about him (being thorough) and found that he came hightly recommended.

In addition, he sent me to a hematologist to confirm his suspicion of a potentially life threatening blood disease. Yes, I have it and I am now being monitored monthly. No other doctor, including the one that did surgery on me which caused me to bleed profusely, ever suggested that I had a problem.

I wish you well in your search for a physican

ebrbetty Rising Star

I'm happy to hear you had good luck with him, he was good about calling me at home, but would always say in his calm,soft voice "i'm sorry you're in terrible pain, call my office back and make another appt." I would go back again, tell him EVERYTHING I ate hurt, I was on the floor for 8 hours after I ate a bagel and cream cheese from dunkins, again "i'm sorry your in so much pain, lets try another colon cleanse"

Good luck..I'm glad he could help you, I will never go back, but will mail him copies of my positive blood tests, I suffered for over a year because he never thought celiac could cause my pain.

ccunnally Newbie
Ruth,

Well, well. Dr. Crimaldi IS my GI .... I just haven't seen or talked to him since the diagnosis. My primary care is the one who told me and said " you must follow the diet". I do have a follow up with Dr. Crimaldi on the 25th of this month. I better start writing down my questions .... he is super nice and did my colonoscopy. I thought he went into the small intestine because I mentioned the diagnosis of celiac disease; he obviously had it planned all along.

My hematologist is wonderful too - Dr. Constatine at Milford Regional.

Thanks for the help

Ann

I'm happy to hear you had good luck with him, he was good about calling me at home, but would always say in his calm,soft voice "i'm sorry you're in terrible pain, call my office back and make another appt." I would go back again, tell him EVERYTHING I ate hurt, I was on the floor for 8 hours after I ate a bagel and cream cheese from dunkins, again "i'm sorry your in so much pain, lets try another colon cleanse"

Good luck..I'm glad he could help you, I will never go back, but will mail him copies of my positive blood tests, I suffered for over a year because he never thought celiac could cause my pain.

Dr. Crimaldi was my GI for 10 years. I suffered in pain for so long. He diagnosed me with IBS. I did my own research and discovered Celiac and Asked him to test me. Sure enough it was positive. Needless to say, I changed doctors. Please, please consider going to Beth Isreal's Celiac Center. They are so great!

Dr. Crimaldi was my GI for almost 10 years. I was diagnosed with IBS and put on med's. Everytime I went back to him, I had the same complaints and he kept changing my med's. Finally after suffering for so long, I did my own research and asked him that he test me for Celiac. Sure enough it was positive. He told me to "go on-line to Celiac.com and that would teach me the diet." He did not tell me not to go gluten-free until after my biopsy. I changed doctors to Dr. Falchuck out of Beth Israel who made me start eating Gluten again for 2 weeks prior to my biopsy. He referred me to a diatician and did other necessary blood tests to check for deficiency's. Dr. Crimaldi is a nice guy, however, he was not on top of Celiac at all and I feel that I should have been properly diagnosed YEARS before I was. If it were not for my request to be tested, I'd still be suffering!

ehrin Explorer

I have a fantastic Gastro Dr out of Ayer, MA

Dr. Schwartz

Middlesex Gastroenterology PC

190 Groton Road Suite 190, Ayer, MA 01432

(978) 772-3547

I went in there for a completely, what I thought was unrelated, diagnosis of diabetic gastroparesis and while he was doing the gastroscopy he decided to take a biopsy of my small bowel "just in case"

well it turns out his "just in case" is dead on - with so many people being underdiagnosed, or misdiagnosed, I consdier myself so lucky to have a proactive Dr.

I woud highly recommend him and it beats driving into the city!

Good Luck!

Guest BERNESES

Amzippity- Have you seen Dr. Cheney yet?

ebrbetty Rising Star

ccunnally, your story with Dr Crimaldi is so like mine, I used to cry in his office saying IBS can't cause this much pain, when he ever told me it was also my stress causing the troubles I thought I would throw something at him!

I to found out about celiac disease buy doing my own research, then asked my PC about it and he said lets test you. Dr. Crimaldi may be polite and speak with a kind voice but what the heck good does that do anyone whos living with this awful disease?? hes just not well enough trained, more so he should NOT be tell patients celiac is a diarrhea disease ,not involving pain. I know I suffered for well over a year because of him.

good luck

Betty

Jen H Contributor

I live on the Cape, so my GI doctor is probably too far away for you to see. Berneses mentioned Dr. Ciaran Kelly. I've also heard that he's very good. My sister-in-law is in medical school and her class studied his research on Celiac during her GI rotation. Sounds like he knows his stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Ruth Enthusiast

Perhaps those who had a negative experience with Dr. Crimaldi have paved the way for those of us who have had a positive one.

Dr. Crimaldi diagnosed me in March 2003. After my blood tests for celiac disease were negative... and years of looking into other reasons for my illness by other doctors, he is the one who insisted on a biopsy because he strongly suspected celiac disease.

As we know, most of the medical community is just beginning to realize that Celiac is common and does not just display the "typical" symptoms.

Maybe you opeded his eyes, and now he is diagnosing more patients.

If so, thanks!

• 4 months later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
I know that there are doctors in Boston, I just don't want to take that route if I can avoid it. I'd be driving in alone ... and it's at least an hour.

Catherine Petruff Cheney, MD

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

330 Brookline Avenue

Boston, MA 02215

Telephone: 617-667-1846

Div. of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Instructor of Medicine, Harvard Med. School

email: cpetruff@bidmc.harvard.edu

Richard J. Grand, M.D.

New England Medical Center.

Ciaran Kelly, MD: Gastroenterologist

Beth Israel Hospital

Boston, MA

Open Original Shared Link

I can't take it any longer with these clueless Florida doctors. Boston has some of the best doctors in the world. You know what they tell you to do when you get sick in Florida? --- Go to the airport. HA! And that is what I've made up my mind to do. They have a Celiac Center and connected with Harvard Medical School. From what I have read it is where they came up with the digestive enzyme research to help us.

The Medical Director is Ciaran Kelly, MD -- I called today and got an appointment. I'm coming up this summer to find out more why I have developed all these secondary food allergies they say we end up getting. Now, I'm at a point what's left to eat? And maybe the can better understand why I get seizure from certain foods.

Anyone out there in Celiac cyberspace go to any of these doctors at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital?

Archived