This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Bisquick

BcG3987

Juliebove Rising Star

Wah! I still can't find it here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sa1937 Community Regular

They have the gluten free Bisquick at my local Vons but it was $6.50 for a tiny box!! YIKES! So I didn't buy it.

Holy cow! I've never heard of it being that expensive. I paid $3.84 at my local Wal-Mart and I thought that was expensive since it's only a 16 oz. box.

polarbearscooby Explorer

Holy cow! I've never heard of it being that expensive. I paid $3.84 at my local Wal-Mart and I thought that was expensive since it's only a 16 oz. box.

I paid over 4$'s I don't know exactly how much but its the smallest box ever

Frances03 Enthusiast

I got it at Walmart for $3.50. So far the only thing I've made is Chicken and Dumplings. They were FANTASTIC. I used my own recipe for the main part and then followed the recipe on the liveglutenfreely website for the dumplings part. Our entire family loved the dish and I will make it again for sure!

larry mac Enthusiast

It's less than $4.00 here also.

I've made pancakes, adding some flax meal, blueberries, and pecans for a little boost in nutrition and texture. Came out great.

best regards, lm

Roda Rising Star

I made waffles again today using almond milk and they were wonderful. I can find it locally now at Food City and Walmart for about $3.80 ish a box.

Juliebove Rising Star

Can't find it around Bothell, WA and the store locator turns up nothing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Can't find it around Bothell, WA and the store locator turns up nothing.

It's definitely in Puget Sound - the Safeway in Newcastle has it. You might try calling around if you really want to find it?

BcG3987 Rookie

So Friday I went into wegmans and figured since the person on the phone was less than helpful I would look myself- There it was- Yay!! Havent made anything yet but I cant wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Tidings Explorer

I was suspicious...the betty crocker chocolate chip cookies I tried were aweful! I will stick to my from scratch recipies!

Sorry to hear this! Bought some of this cookie mix last week and have not yet had the energy to bake them! Been waiting for heat wave to let up before lighting the oven. (Hopefully, they are better than NO cookies at all!)

PS Wonder what was so "aweful" about the BC c/chip cookies? Did they not hold together well? Were they too bland, blah, no texture, too sweet? Guess I'll bake these soon and find out!

Nor-TX Enthusiast

That surprises me. I've made cookies several times from the BC CC product, and have had excellent results every time. Super simple to make. I add extra chips and lots of nuts. The only problem I had, was you need to put the dough in the fridge for a few minutes and in between batches. Otherwise it may spread out too thin when cooking.

But that's the same thing you have to do for made from scratch gluten-free cookies, which are a real PITA, due to all the ingredients. Plus, there was a pretty big learning curve for me when I first attempted gluten-free CC cookies from scratch. BTW, I considered myself to be a pretty good baker before gluten-free. But no matter how much I tried, I could never make good gluten-free bread.

best regards, lm

Larry Mac,

I know we live close to each other but I haven't been able to find the gluten-free Bisquick. Where in Wylie did you find it?

lynnelise Apprentice

I got mine at Wal-mart for $3.50ish. (I live in WV so we're usually last to get stuff like that!) I used it in a couple of muffin and cookie recipes and it did fine. I prefer Pamela's gluten-free baking mix but the Bisquick is a lot cheaper and perfectly acceptable. I also love the brownie mix and I used the cookie mix to make a chocolate chip cheesecake recipe from their website and the gluten eaters LOVED it.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I got mine at Wal-mart for $3.50ish. (I live in WV so we're usually last to get stuff like that!) I used it in a couple of muffin and cookie recipes and it did fine. I prefer Pamela's gluten-free baking mix but the Bisquick is a lot cheaper and perfectly acceptable. I also love the brownie mix and I used the cookie mix to make a chocolate chip cheesecake recipe from their website and the gluten eaters LOVED it.

Hi, Not sure where WV is... I live north of Dallas in a small city.

mbrookes Community Regular

I have used the Bisquick to make guess what... biscuits. I followed their recipe except I don't like drop biscuits so I formed them by hand (coated hands with a little Bisquick) They aren't what I used to make but far and away better than any gluten-free recipe I have tried.

lynnelise Apprentice

Hi, Not sure where WV is... I live north of Dallas in a small city.

I'm a bit far from you then. I'm in West Virginia. It's nestled between Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. Quite rural so we don't get a lot of new products or speciality products very quickly.

Tidings Explorer

Sorry to hear this! Bought some of this cookie mix last week and have not yet had the energy to bake them! Been waiting for heat wave to let up before lighting the oven. (Hopefully, they are better than NO cookies at all!)

PS Wonder what was so "aweful" about the BC c/chip cookies? Did they not hold together well? Were they too bland, blah, no texture, too sweet? Guess I'll bake these soon and find out!

OK, back with a brief report on our experiences with BC choc-chip cookie mix...

It was rather weird and a little difficult to mix up the dough. When they said "dough will be crumbly," they were not kidding. Maybe if they upped the amount of butter or added a little oil or more egg, the dough would stick together better? Had to roll dough in hands (like fish bait! LOL) to get it to even remotely stick together. It did manage to hold together, for the most part, during baking--although many cookies broke up when removing from baking sheet.

The cookies themselves were rather DRY and not chewy (more like sandy); and there were too many choc-chips for our taste (especially for me, since chocolate can tend to cause insomnia or a-fib in me). Was so distracted by the dry, crumbly dough, I forgot to add walnuts, which would have made them better. Overall, household voted them "Not bad, but they need walnuts and fewer chocolate chips..." --Probably won't bother with this B.C. mix again... but it satisfied craving for choc-chip cookies for at least a year or so!

larry mac Enthusiast

Larry Mac,

I know we live close to each other but I haven't been able to find the gluten-free Bisquick. Where in Wylie did you find it?

I've been getting it at Brookshires. I'd be surprised if Kroger, Albertsons, and Tom Thumb weren't carrying it.

best regards, lm

larry mac Enthusiast

This post is a little off topic, but since there was already a discussion here about cookies I'm taking a small liberty. I looked for a BC gluten-free CC Cookies thread, but didn't find one that seemed to fit this discussion.

About the problems with the Betty Crocker gluten-free Chocolate Chip cookies.

I have had great success with these. I use a Kitchenaid heavy duty stand mixer with the paddle attachment, on low/med speed. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I do know that this baby will mix some dough! I started out four years ago using a Sunbeam stand mixer. And although I love the antique look of it, it just doesn't perform well enough, what with the two old style beaters (like a hand held mixer), and the weak power of the motor and/or gearing. A hand mixer or Sunbeam stand mixer is fine for cake mixes and whipped cream, but ill suited for bread and cookie doughs.

Night and day difference between the two.

Also, I usually buy jumbo brown eggs, use a stick of real butter, add extra chocolate chips, and a whole cup of chopped pecans. My cookie dough after mixing is thick. Not excessively sticky. Not at all crumbly. I don't recall having to "adjust" the consistency at all. But, if it did need adjusting, just like any other baking item, gluten-free or not (but especially gluten-free), I would definately adjust it. I know from experience what cookie dough looks and feels like. If for some reason it is too wet or thin, then it needs more dry ingredients (and less liquid ingredients next time). Conversley, if it is too dry and crumbly, it needs more liquid ingredients.

I make sure the oven is well pre-heated (it takes longer than some realize because it tends to cycle on & off a lot at first, until the mass of the oven is fully stabalized), and only bake one sheet at a time on the middle rack. In between batches I keep the metal mixing bowl containing the dough in the fridge. It gets pretty hard when cold. Cold cookie dough keeps them from spreading out too much too fast. I cook them a tad longer because I like crispy cc cookies. However, unless I take extreme measures to keep them dry, they will naturally soften up, and won't be crispy anymore.

I'm just trying to detail every little thing I can think of that might make a difference between good and bad results. Happy baking!

best regards, lm

p.s., edited a few times to add stuff I forgot and/or correct spelling! lm

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I make sure the oven is well preheated (it takes longer than some realize because it tends to cycle on & off a lot at first, until the mass of the oven is fully stabilized), and only bake one sheet at a time on the middle rack. In between batches I keep the metal mixing bowl containing the dough in the fridge. It gets pretty hard when cold. Cold cookie dough keeps them from spreading out too much too fast. I cook them a tad longer because I like crispy cc cookies. However, unless I take extreme measures to keep them dry, they will naturally soften up, and won't be crispy anymore.

great Post Larry

I found them to spread flat too, but like you, I like them crispy also. How long can you keep them out on the counter? Know alot of gluten-free items have to be refrigerated. I tried putting in air tight container and also zip lock baggies but they get soft. What's you secret to keeping the 'crisp' in the cookie?

larry mac Enthusiast

Hi Judy,

The only containers I have found up to the task of keeping BC gluten-free CC cookies (baked crisp) crispy are the relatively expensive hard body, heavy duty food storage containers such as Rubbermade, Mainstays, Sterilite, etc. that have the better constructed lids. These lids fit tight! They either are pretty difficult to put on, or have the locking type snap on lids. You'll know the difference when you see them. And they only come in single units, not 4-5 for $3.

When I take them out of the oven, I put them on wire cooling racks 'till they're fully cooled, maybe 30 minutes. Then I put them in the storage containers.

The ones I have only hold maybe 3-4 to 6-8 cookies each, which I suspect is a good thing. That way minimizes the times each container is opened, exposing the cookies to the atmosphere. I've just left the containers sitting out on the kitchen counter and they did fine for the few days they lasted. I'm the only one eating them and I only eat a couple at a time. If they do happen to get soft, I put them in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cc's. Or sometimes I put them in my little countertop nuclear convection oven and re-crisp them.

best regards, lm

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Judy,

The only containers I have found up to the task of keeping BC gluten-free CC cookies (baked crisp) crispy are the relatively expensive hard body, heavy duty food storage containers such as Rubbermade, Mainstays, Sterilite, etc. that have the better constructed lids. These lids fit tight! They either are pretty difficult to put on, or have the locking type snap on lids. You'll know the difference when you see them. And they only come in single units, not 4-5 for $3.

Larry

thanks so much

I have some of the rubbermade ones but didn't put in right away. Maybe that's the secret. They don't last long do they. They are so goodtongue.gif

cahill Collaborator

I live in Northwestern PA. and i found gluten-free bisquick at my local Walmart for $4.12 a 16oz. box,,

I have made the pancakes with it,,,,HEAVENLY,,, the biscuits are Ok, i have also made the Impossible pie,,it is very very good

gefen Newbie

I haven't tried it yet- but they have it in all three Targets near me.

I love websites with product locators- don't you? :D

Feel Rite is a very good store they carry the Katz gluten free items the Challah and the Rugelech and all their breads which I like, I don

larry mac Enthusiast

Katz must be a regional thing. I've never seen it around North Texas. We don't have any Wegman's or Feel Rite either.

best regards, lm

luvs2eat Collaborator

I bought it because I think the very best dumplings were always from Bisquick. I made waffles w/ it and wasn't AT ALL impressed. I much prefer Pamela's pancake/waffle mix. I sure hope it makes good dumplings for my beef stew!

Archived