This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Pantry Issues

sillyken

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Ken, Do you have an HEB by you out there? I just got a $20 gc in the mail if you can use it, I will send it. They sell gluten-free stuff. Their HCF brand is gluten-free so you could buy like gluten-free pasta and some sketti sauce. Stuff like that lasts a while!

I'm not sure if Ken is able to get online, but I wanted to let you know that we do not have HEB stores in Virginia (Ken indicated he is in Virginia and I am too). So as kind as your offer is, it would not help him. Does your HEB store allow you to buy gift cards with a gift card? Some of my stores do that and they carry gift cards for other stores or restaurants. Perhaps you could buy a Walmart gift card with it and send that on to him as he's more likely to have access to someplace like Walmart.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Ken,

I just signed up for this forum this morning.

I posted in the Parents of Kids with Celiac, then this afternoon I googled celiac and food stamps, your post came up as one of the top listings.

I am sorry you have to go through this, but I am in the same boat, although situations are different.

My husband was born with spina bifida and hydrocephalus and had no major problems growing up, but in 2005 became very ill and had to have brain surgery to fix his shunt that had broken, which meant the fluid building up around his brain (hydrocephalus)was not being drained down from his head into his abdomen because the shunt had malfunctioned, and was causing major issues.

After the shunt revision and abdominal surgery he came home to recover, but Hurricane Ike was headed toward Texas, and we had to evacuate due to his condition.

We came home three weeks later and our rental home had flooded, so we lost our home and only vehicle.

Moved into another rental home which was $200 more a month in rent and I had to take on a car note.

My husband broke out with severe psoriasis from the stress and recovery.

He later was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus.

My husband is believed to have Celiac, but waiting confirmation, and we were told to have our kids tested.

They were tested the end of July and we received the results yesterday which confirmed they do have it.

My husband has been unable to work since 2005, so I am a Spousal Caregiver, and mother to three kids.

The sole provider of income in our household and my salary is still not enough to make sure there is food in the house, so now this gluten free diet change for my children is going to be so hard when the wholefood stores are so very high priced here, and gluten free cereals, breads, and pastas are scarce in regular grocery stores that I've seen.

We receive a small under $100 amount in Food Stamps because they believe my income for a family of 5 is "making too much" for further help.

I am thankful for what we get, but those that are working hard and need help are always the ones hit with red tape.

The local assistant ministry for my zip code food pantry I know doesn't have gluten free, so I don't know what to do when I need there help again.

I contacted my two oldest children's school nurse, and she is contacting the districts dietitian.

The gluten free menu in public schools is very very limited the nurse said, so I will have to figure out what i can do to pack their lunch (they receive free breakfast and lunch at school because of our finances going to medical expenses and bills to not be homeless, so i barely make by with having extra money to put gas in the car for my work commute and making sure there is enough food in the house for the three kids and my ill husband).

I can only suggest you do as others advised, have a doctors note, find something you can put it in to keep it safe and protected, keep it on you at all times, so you can prove you aren't just "being picky" as the population would like to believe.

I know you might not be able to afford it right now, but there are medical bracelets you can get that say celiac disease.

I wish you the best, I know it's hard, and I don't know how I will get through it, but I have to for my kids.

You probably already know this but you can do gluten free on a budget. Just don't buy any gluten free replacements or specialty foods. Get naturally gluten free stuff like rice, potatoes, corn, beans, etc. These foods are cheap (especially if you buy in bulk) and easy to make. I hope things get better for you soon.

Archived