This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Intake Before Endoscopy

Skibunny

Skibunny Newbie

I have been following a gluten free diet since June 2010 (my son is biopsy confirmed) and will be getting a scope myself at the end of the month. Worried I scheduled it to soon...how long is it recommended that you be ingesting gluten before a scope? My doctor said 7 days I thought it was more like 21 days.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

adab8ca Enthusiast

I have been following a gluten free diet since June 2010 (my son is biopsy confirmed) and will be getting a scope myself at the end of the month. Worried I scheduled it to soon...how long is it recommended that you be ingesting gluten before a scope? My doctor said 7 days I thought it was more like 21 days.

hmmmm

my GI's office said at least a month and lots of gluten while I was at it...

Dixiebell Contributor

I've heard anywhere from six weeks to three months, eating enough gluten to equal four slices of bread a day.

Lisa Mentor

Yeah...the equivalent of 3-6 slices of bread for 3-6 weeks. From June, you might be able to catch up quickly. :huh:

cassP Contributor

7 days is not long enough. my GI had me do 2 weeks. others on here suggest up to 2-3 months. if i were you, as long as you're not feeling too ill- i would push the procedure to a little later so you can get a more accurate test

and make sure they take 6 samples from different areas.

good luck :)

Skibunny Newbie

Thanks for the response. I do feel like I am pushing it. My procedure is 19 days out so I sat down and gladly had a regular beer tonight! My son is biopsy positive, I am DNA positive and with the gluten free diet my reflux has really improved, energy has gotten better along with a list of other things. I was worried that a week was not enough time.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for the response. I do feel like I am pushing it. My procedure is 19 days out so I sat down and gladly had a regular beer tonight! My son is biopsy positive, I am DNA positive and with the gluten free diet my reflux has really improved, energy has gotten better along with a list of other things. I was worried that a week was not enough time.

Yea I would push the procedure back another month. Even then you may still show a false negative on the endo. If you find your symptoms come back on the challenge your body is giving you the answer but that doesn't mean the endo would come back postive at that point.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived