This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Wedding

neopuss

neopuss Newbie

I am recently engaged and starting to think about the wedding. I really want to have a nice gluten-free cake as my wedding cake. Any suggestions? Once at a cafe I had the most delicious mudcake I had ever tasted, does anyone know any good recipies for mudcake?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kejohe Apprentice

Hmm... I might have a mudcake recipe somewhere, but if you are interested in the traditional yellow cake, you really need to try the recipe jessica posted in this sections. It's posted Open Original Shared Link and it is really awesome, my non gluten-free family couldn't tell it was gluten-free, and its beautifully light and fluffy.

Guest Libbyk

the most successful cakes I have tried have been carrot cakes. I think that the less "flour-cased" the recipe, the easier it is to translate.

shimma Apprentice

Have you considered making a cheesecake? I tried to make my own gluten-free wedding cake soon after my diagnosis, and it failed miserably (but I didn't have much gluten-free baking experience then, so that was probably why). What I did instead was buy some of Pamela's shortbread cookies and made them into a crust for a cheesecake. I got the cheesecake recipe off Williams-Sonoma's website (the recipe was entitled "Blueberry Cheesecake"). I didn't even get a piece of it at the wedding because it was such a hit. We had a regular cake too, but everyone seemed to prefer the cheesecake.

Connie R-E Apprentice

neopuss,

I say "Go for it!" It's your special day and you should be able to have whatever you want! :D

Will you have it catered, or cater it yourself? Some cities around the country actually have gluten-free bakeries--or someone who at least understands gluten-free...

If you are doing it yourself, the best thing you can do is start practicing now! Bake the yellow gluten-free cake, and see if it is something you might want! Try out some others. This is just half the fun!!

Last year, my husband and I, had a 100% gluten-free Wedding & Reception! My hubby and I catered the event for almost 50 people! We did a lot the week before, and nothing the day of, and everything worked out great!! It can be done--with the right amount of planning... ;) Good thing you're starting early!

Let us know what you decide. Weddings are such special occasions!!

Good luck and congratulations!!

Connie

gluten-free since 1-'98

• 2 weeks later...
neopuss Newbie

I'd love to hear about what food you served. I am also lactose intollerant aswell, which makes it a bit more trying! ( to say the least)

Connie R-E Apprentice

We had a small formal wedding and a larger very informal reception at our home.

This is from the old message board:

"I made the 2 cakes. The white wedding cake had 4 layers--the top 3 were my Pumpkin Bread/Cake recipe and the bottom layer--and groom's cake--were Bette Hagman's Carrot cake Supreme (one of her books ?). I made the frostings (C& H Butter Creme--wedding, and cream cheese--groom's). I crystilized flowers for the decorations on the wedding cake. Jason Smoked tons of Chicken (about 15), made a huge pot of 3 Mushroom rice, and a Huge Green salad w/Pineapple vinegrette. We also had large bricks of cheeses, bowls of fresh fruit(centerpieces), and Baby carrots w/Horseradish mustard as a dip(Natural Value brand Organic Horseradish Mustard--very yummy!)and relish trays with Green and Black Olives, Vlassic pickles and hot Cherry peppers! I baked gluten-free Mexican Wedding Cookies (recipies, this site), Butter cookies, Ginger snaps, Mini Pumpkin muffins, Lime Merangue pies, Merangue Mushrooms, and Mini Chocolate Eclairs!

Everyone loved the cakes! and cookies--I didn't tell them the flour was rice--and gluten-free, and many even asked for the recipies!

For the beverages, well, we had Champagne, Sun tea, Spring water, Apple juice, .....AND, I learned to make my own BEER--2 different kinds--just for the party!!

The reception's theme (Okay, there is a story why we had a theme, of course--I was pulling my hair trying to figure out how to decorate my wedding cake, and then I realized I had a Groom's cake to do, also!!! so, when I asked Jason, he said "I don't care, :-) do Lord of the Rings or something." I said "No!", right away, but then I saw a picture of a sheet cake with a Hobbit House on it--and it was adorable--so...) was a Hobbit Party/Reception--which explains why we needed gluten-free Beer! So we, and our guests, dressed in our finest Hobbit garb and listened to Celtic music under colorful hanging lanterns, in our backyard, and ate on many white clothed tables (it looked just like the scene in the movie, really). I found several large cardboard boxes--for houses, we painted them green, cut out circle doors, and all the childeren played Hobbits! We all had a wonderful time!! "

It really was a great time! :D I wouldn't have changed thing!

We planned it all out ahead of time--which is the key!! I used a 3 months before we created the menu, looked at dozens of wedding cake books, and ordered the party supplies. By 1 month before, we had everyting in line and ready to go--and had even practiced the foods to be served! 3 weeks before, we created the shopping list and started buying what we needed. 2 weeks before, I was ready to go!! 1 week before, I made up the things that would keep, and started making foods as per their shelf life (cookies keep a while :P ) Jason smoked the chickens and set up the back yard 2 days before and I did the cakes--frosting them the day before.... We didn't do anything on the wedding day but get married and enjoy the party!!

Enlist what help you can, friends are often happy to help the wedding couple!

I used this checklist as a basic guide, but gave myself more time than they do, as I wanted to make sure it was all gluten-free! Open Original Shared Link

--Remember on the wedding day don't do anything but get married!!

Do that other stuff the day before!

Good luck!

Connie

gluten-free since 1-'98

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
jaimek Enthusiast

So, I am very newly engaged (last night) :D and one of the first thoughts that went through my head was if I can find a gluten free cake. Does anyone have any experience with weddings? I am curious to know how you go about the catering and especially the cake. I have plenty of time but I figured I would get everyone's opinions/experiences so that I can get the ball rolling. So, please let me know what you guys think!!! I am not a good baker and cannot handle the stress of doing everything myself so if anyone knows of caterers it would be key! Thanks.

kalo Rookie

I just wanted to congratulate you on your new engagement. I pray it all works out for you. Don't know where you live but I was reading on the whole foods store website and they are making a gluten baking only facility somewhere. Might check into it. Hugs, Carol B (married 32&1/2 years)

khyricat Rookie

I am learning to make gluten free cakes, and have been a cake decorator for awhile.. I'm in MI, but don't feel ready to do wedding cakes yet. BUT! I am part of a few online lists of cake decorators, several of whom only do wedding cakes and diabetic and gluten-free cakes have been a big topic recently- even before my diagnosis... At this point most of us are collecting recipes, but there is a chocolate chickpea cake recipe that one woman has used twice for wedding cakes... I can share if you want.. but I think she found it online originally...

we have been trying to find good solid cakes for making scultped cakes as well as for not crumbing so we can torte and ice them.. I'd love any recipes you have and will gladly share the results of my experiments.. my goal if I truly go gluten free is going ot be to experiment with how the different flours, etc function so I can come up with some yummy cakes. Meanwhile I do have a flourless chocolate cake recipe that I totally adore.. and that I made before I was gluten free...

Archived