This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Priest Almost Glutened Me!

K8ling

Emilushka Contributor

The cathedral does have a web site, but it's super-cheesy. It might, however, have a phone number!

... I am ashamed to say that I didn't even think of making an appointment with a priest. I guess I think of them as being above schedules? Or maybe I just didn't think enough. I will contact them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

No need for to wait to talk to a priest. You can go online and read what the Church teaches in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Straight from the horse's mouth and more reliable than wikipedia. You can search transubstantiation and you'll get all the listings about it.

Salax Contributor

I think the concept of communion is more symbolic in nature rather than in literal terms. So in my mind if it

Emilushka Contributor

Did you guys know that the Vatican has a web site extension thingy (like .com or .edu or .net) all to themselves? It's .va - how cool is that? They have their own web thingy!

ETA: I found my answer, at least as far as the Catholic Church's website is concerned.

The Council of Trent summarizes the Catholic faith by declaring: "Because Christ our Redeemer said that it was truly his body that he was offering under the species of bread, it has always been the conviction of the Church of God, and this holy Council now declares again, that by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation."

Open Original Shared Link

It doesn't address the actual Celiac people, though. I guess I'm not surprised. Celiac doesn't have THAT much press.

i-geek Rookie

I think the concept of communion is more symbolic in nature rather than in literal terms. So in my mind if it

Salax Contributor

Did you guys know that the Vatican has a web site extension thingy (like .com or .edu or .net) all to themselves? It's .va - how cool is that? They have their own web thingy!

ETA: I found my answer, at least as far as the Catholic Church's website is concerned.

Open Original Shared Link

It doesn't address the actual Celiac people, though. I guess I'm not surprised. Celiac doesn't have THAT much press.

Your right to doesn't address celiac issue, but the "bread" isn't specified, doesn't say whole wheat or rye bread, etc. So does the bread like substance really matter? Back then everything was organic and more el'natural then today. So times changes, super gluten rules the world :lol: So, would it matter if it had gluten or not? Thats just like saying it needs to be organic too if it has to have wheat. Just my 2 cents. B)

Emilushka Contributor

Your right to doesn't address celiac issue, but the "bread" isn't specified, doesn't say whole wheat or rye bread, etc. So does the bread like substance really matter? Back then everything was organic and more el'natural then today. So times changes, super gluten rules the world :lol: So, would it matter if it had gluten or not? Thats just like saying it needs to be organic too if it has to have wheat. Just my 2 cents. B)

Actually, I think the determination that it has to be wheat is farther up that same page that I linked as my source. I don't know WHY except that that's what they think was actually at the Last Supper.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Salax Contributor

Actually, I think the determination that it has to be wheat is farther up that same page that I linked as my source. I don't know WHY except that that's what they think was actually at the Last Supper.

Ahh. That's too bad. Sounds extremely legalistic to me, but thats my opinion. I hope it all works out for her. :)

Archived