• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Disney In Orlando

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

my husband and i recently celebrated our 15th anniversary by going to disney for a few days and i am relieved and happy to report after constantly eating out that i had NO incidents with gluten or contamination. no matter which restaurant we went to the chef personally came out to talk with me and discuss my options and assure me they have dedicated equipment. it was such an awesome experience. after the 2nd meal eating out i felt comfortable that they could and would handle my food safely. they even offered up pancakes, waffles & breads that they could make me if i chose that weren't listed on the menu. it was such a different experience at a disney restaurant than one around town ... my husband joked about how we got the royal treatment there having the chef come to our table and give us his personal attention. completely opposite of if you go to one around town and they roll their eyes at your "high maintenance" order.

2 of our favorite places- the yacht club and cat cora's restaurant "kouzinna" (both at the boardwalk) the chef's there were awesome!!!! :):)

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Cinderella AND gluten-free bread! What could be better? It's nice to hear a happy story. Thanks for sharing.

I'm so glad to hear this! My boyfriend and I are BIG travelers and after we pick a place to go, as you know the "big question" is never: "can we afford this?" "where would we fly into?" "can we rent a car in that country"..... it's always "what are my food options".

Well we booked our Disney vacation last night and were slightly worried about the food....I guess we have ZERO reason to worry! Thank you!

We went to Disney in CA. We ate at 2 fast food type places. They were great! You get a menu at the Court House guest services that tells you which places have what. Even at the fast food places, only the kitchen manager is allowed to make your food. It takes a few minutes more but that's OK. The kids that take your order know about gluten-free and allergy food. In fact, at one place, the cashier looked at the menu I had from guest services and said that it wasn't quite right and explained every choice and why.

Bluebonnet,

I'm so glad you had a good time and a pleasant experience. Thank you for posting! My hubby and I are in Fla right now visiting family and will be in Orlando in a couple days. I just made a reservation at Kouzzina based on your excellent review! I love Greek and Mediterranean food and love Cat Cora! I made the rez via Disney's website and they have a section where you can check off your food allergies. That's brilliant. This is my first real vacation since going gluten and soy free and it's nice that Disney is so accommodating. Now off to look at the Yacht Club...

:-) Thank you!

Ads by Google:

The more I hear about Disney (the cruises, the theme parks, etc) and the way they really try to treat you well, the more I want to give them my business. The cost scared me away at first, but my health is totally worth it. Thanks for the report back!

We are going in January. We will be doing most of our own cooking, but this is good to hear, since hubby and I would like at least one night out ALONE, while the kids are with their grandparents. I can't wait to have a romantic eve. out with my sweetie!

Ads by Google:

Kouzzina, Cat Cora's restaurant, was F A B U L O U S! I had made a rez via the Disney site and listed my allergies (gluten, dairy, soy). When we arrived they were well prepared. They had tapioca rolls warming and served them with a lemon olive oil for dipping. Then the chef came over and we went through the menu together and he told me what they could adjust and what things they couldn't. I had 2 appetizers (egg lemon soup and dolmades) and the cinnamon chicken with roasted potatoes. The chef delivered the dinners himself and assured me everything was made in a separate area to avoid cross contamination. I was so stuffed I couldn't tackle dessert but they would have made me something. I thanked the chef a bazillion times for being so accommodating. It was one of the best meals I've had in eons (that I didn't make myself). I highly recommend trying it out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Whhyyy

• Topics

• Yes I eliminated high glycemic foods. Eating only small amounts of carbs. No fruits, added sugars, starchy grains. Eating lots of fibrous veggies. Eating olive oil, as I don’t seem to tolerate the saturated fats or MCT oil. Allergic to nuts and seeds unfortunately.
    • Just wondering if you have an update at all? Going through the same thing at the the moment with my type 1 14 yr old. I would be interested to know what your gi said and how your daughters doing now? xx
    • Please check the date on post, you just responded and tried talking to a person from 7 years ago. On consideration to the subject Poatoes are a huge flare factor for my UC and cause my blood sugar to sky rocket...I am not even diabetic but for some reason potatoes (hash browns) that I tried a few months ago with some eggs shot it up over 400. not even a control test with table sugar managed that.
    • Have you tried eliminating high glycemic foods? Fruits, added sugars, starchy grains, potatoes. etc? Also adding in slow digesting fibers and fats can prevent insulin spikes, MCT oil is also known to help and protein. Many find consuming nuts and seeds higher in fiber early on in the meal or before a meal can slow down insulin responses and prevent spikes. I always tend to eat a hand full of whole shell pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, cocoa nibs, etc. while fixing my food, this gets me starting to feel fuller sooner, and seems to help in over all down the road. I know I had some references somewhere to these. I know I read somewhere about the antioxidants in in whole shell seeds like pumpkin and hemp also helped the body regulate insulin levels.
    • Dear AWOL Cast Iron Stomach, Your husband is right bread is bad for you. Of course it's more than bread and gluten, until now it was amateur hour trying to self diagnose and tame this "lion". However they let you down. You slipped through the cracks over and over again it is not your fault your not the Dr. You made mistakes and errors acting like a celiac , not knowing for sure you were, and not feeling like you could fully claim to be or reach out for support . Now you know your husband was closer than any Dr. up until now to determine your illness. Now something is in your record, now hopefully you will be dismissed less,respected more, maybe they will realize its an actual condition going on- not all in your head. Will they? Who knows! Do you care? This is now official, now explained, you not only have to give up gluten, but milk, and corn. In fact give up 98% of processed anything. The cluster of lifetime symptoms were not  "just you", "in your head", "you are not a difficult patient", "when the Dr or nurse looks at you like a nut job you don't have to feel the dismissiveness and condescension. It's an illness and nothing to be shameful of  what is shameful is they and their colleagues missed you failed you. In fact being missed for 4 decades is unjust to you. You were missed time and time again from age 5 to 43, decade after decade after decade, symptom after symptom. It's not that you didn't try from the 5 year old begging to go to the Dr, to the 20 going to the hospital again for another bout of gastroenteritis hoping to get an IV, to the thirty year old saying something is wrong why is this happening, to the forty something a restaurant fed me gluten when I asked for gluten-free, I have been gluten free for 3 1/2 years ,  I have more symptoms and pain than before . I felt so good for those gluten-free years- please help me-make it stop. So many things explained it makes you experience a range of emotions. Grateful: Relief and gratefulness someone finally agreed to send you to someone to test you. She saw past the other diagnosis' and the albatross IBS diagnosis. All the ages and stages of symptoms are explained they all fit. Everyone of them! Someone else also has had them. You are not alone. Read the forum-you fit like a glove. Anger: Anger for the way you have been treated by the medical community, family, some ex boyfriends, friends and coworkers. Anger for the length of time you endured this. Hurt: Hurt for the times people said unkind things to you when you were symptomatic or flaring . you are experiencing symptoms that change your body people are rude to congratulate you on a "pregnancy" you didn't announce or ask why you are not slim when you hardly eat. you are not over emotional -  you are suffering from neuro symptoms, you are not making this up for attention Sad & Guilty: Can I work again? Do I want to work again? What kind of work can I do now? Can I find a job and work PT from home? You didn't envision this your husband having to be sole bread winner now what? I am overwhelmed thinking about this-stop? You now have closure and know how and why you lost your first pregnancy. You now know why you were high risk, complications,  with your children in Pregnancy & Delivery that they couldn't be explained back then It explains why in pregnancy you lost weight and why your morning sickness was extreme and seemed to last longer than anyone you knew,  that your Puppp rash was likely misdiagnosed DH It is not your fault none of it. Please forgive yourself for what you did not know. Your children forgive you. Believe them when they say its not your fault. You can cry, but you can no longer blame yourself. You are a good mother just one with an illness your children will learn to accept. Withdrawn: Why are you withdrawing from your husband? Should you ask him if he wants a divorce? Should you push him away? You didn't know before marriage what was happening you knew something autoimmune was brewing shortly after, but nothing showed on tests. Was this unfair to do to him? Doesn't he deserve someone better? Someone well? Now you can't retire and travel the world as society retirement cliché dictates. Can you afford this illness ? How will this financially impact your spouse, your family?. Why did you do this to this poor man? You are so selfish, you wanted marriage and kids, but was this fair to them? Don't your kids deserve a healthier mom? How will this impact them? Oh my gosh are they going to get this too? Will they grow to resent you? Your illness and diet has taken over their lives! Oh gosh no one say hi to me-please. I hate people and I am too sick to pretend and be fake friendly today. I don't want to tell you I am ill. I don't want to talk about this. I have to absorb this. I hate you people for being healthy. Don't tell me I don't look well. I will snap, I don't want to snap, I am irritable ,and don't feel well. Just keep giving off the unapproachable vibe keep them away.  Am I strong enough to do this? Acceptance: Calm down the inflammation, lack of nutrients, and GI damage is messing with your head. Your husband said for better for worse. Your kids have no choice you are their mother and you are a good mom -you have always been, always will be even on your worst day. If they get this they will be ok. You are strong enough to do this you are just ill and most importantly you must remain here in case they get this so you can guide them and be there for them. Got it? Go on the forum you are not alone it will be ok. You will get this lion back in the cage and manage it. It will be ok. If you can't travel in retirement one day you will find other hobbies or things to occupy your time. He's not going to leave you over this. If he does it will be ok. You'll manage-you always do. You have an answer, you knew it was coming, keep reading, learning, seeking support, and one day it will all work out. You will process all this and will be at peace-until then keep going and above all AVOID GLUTEN!    
  • Upcoming Events