• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Modified Food Starch - Avoid?

14 posts in this topic

I've read conflicting articles about modified food starch, so wanted to check with some of you to see what your experience is with it. I've been avoiding it completely. I was diagnosed in March, but it seems recently that it doesn't take much at all for me to get really sick, so I'm pretty cautious. I've read that modified food starch is usually corn unless specified, but I've seen labels that have both modified food starch and modified corn starch, so I'd assume that mfs is wheat?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I've read conflicting articles about modified food starch, so wanted to check with some of you to see what your experience is with it. I've been avoiding it completely. I was diagnosed in March, but it seems recently that it doesn't take much at all for me to get really sick, so I'm pretty cautious. I've read that modified food starch is usually corn unless specified, but I've seen labels that have both modified food starch and modified corn starch, so I'd assume that mfs is wheat?

It SHOULD be corn based if it is in the US, however, to be 100% sure you should always check with the manufacturer.

Personally, if it is a main stream widely known US brand I tend to trust it. If it is some unknown small or local brand then I will call and check.

In the US, if the food starch is derived from wheat it must be declared a "wheat ingredient" on the label.

I find myself avoiding it too because I'm SUPER sensitive...

In the US, as stated, if it is wheat that fact must be clearly disclosed. It is most commonly tapioca* or corn. It is never rye or barley, so in the US if it does not say wheat then it is gluten-free.

*Some people, including some celiacs, are sensitive to tapioca.

Ads by Google:

In the US, as stated, if it is wheat that fact must be clearly disclosed. It is most commonly tapioca* or corn. It is never rye or barley, so in the US if it does not say wheat then it is gluten-free.

*Some people, including some celiacs, are sensitive to tapioca.

I have a newly diagnosed friend who LOVES tapioca and has been experiencing some glutened symptoms recently...could it be related to the tapioca?

It SHOULD be corn based if it is in the US, however, to be 100% sure you should always check with the manufacturer.

Personally, if it is a main stream widely known US brand I tend to trust it. If it is some unknown small or local brand then I will call and check.

As others have said, if it's from wheat It MUST say so. No need to call anybody.

I have a newly diagnosed friend who LOVES tapioca and has been experiencing some glutened symptoms recently...could it be related to the tapioca?

There are people on here who have said they have trouble with tapioca.

It's possible to be intolerant to tapioca--I am particularly sensitive to it. It's not related to gluten, but a separate sensitivity. I get a very dry mouth from the time I take a bite and later, stomach pain. It's different from my gluten reaction.

Your friend could try omitting tapioca for a week or so and then trying it alone and see how she feels. This approach is the best way to ferret out problem foods.

There are people on here who have said they have trouble with tapioca.

My daughter and I both have major problems with tapioca.

How can we be sure the item with the ingredient "modified food starch" is a made in America product? So much has some components made in another country.

How can we be sure the item with the ingredient "modified food starch" is a made in America product? So much has some components made in another country.

You can't, but if it is sold in the US, it must conform to US label regulations, and wheat, if present, must be disclosed. I personally haven't encountered modified wheat starch in over a decade on the diet.

I've seen wheat starch a couple of times but clearly labeled.

Tapioca and I are not really friends. I don't get super sick from it but I do get minor issues sometimes. I'm sparing with it and I don't eat it often.

I've been puzzled by the "modified food starch" for a long time also. Fanta orange pop (and other flavors) say that on the label. & I've always been wary of it. There is a high-end grocery store in my town that has another brand of pop for sale right next to the Fanta. It carries a Gluten-Free label, as if to suggest that the other brands are not. I don't know where Fanta is made, since I don't have a bottle in front of me, but I will stop worrying about it.