This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat Grass, Barely Grass? Ya Or Nay?

Wheat Wacker

Wheat Wacker Rookie

It would be really benficial to me to be able to consume some of these super food powders, usally labeled super greens or such. There packed with healthy ingedients, including wheat grass and barley grass sometimes. The one I saw was also labeled gluten free? Can We eat Wheat Grass or Barley Grass if it's gluten free, or should we stay of the Grass? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

The grasses are theoretically gluten-free. I personally choose to not consume anything made from those plants, as I don't trust how carefully people who produce wheat grass are separating grass from unsprouted grains. Wheat grass seems like an awfully risky "superfood" and it's really no more nutritious than safer "superfoods" like spinach, spirulina, blueberries, or a

GFinDC Veteran

I feel the same way about it as Skylark. Why take a chance anyway? There are plenty of nutritious foods around to eat. What advertising guru convinced you that you need to eat wheat grass or barley grass? Those types get paid lots of money to convince people to do this or do that, as long as their sponsor gives them a big paycheck they couldn't care less if it is true. Let me guess, Freddy Krueger right? :D Just a little Halloween humour.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I found out the hard way that I get the same effect from wheat and barley grass as I would if I ate a couple slices of wheat bread. I avoid them. There are a lot of good supplements without those ingredients to choose from.

Rowena Rising Star

I am of the mindset, like the above, (as much as I loved wheat grass) that you should "avoid the very appearance of evil." Not that wheat grass is Evil persay, but for us it is in a way. But really the decision is up to you. But I personally say don't do it. Not that I am an expert on this diet yet by any means, but that is my opinion

julandjo Explorer

Ditto everyone else. It's just not worth the risk; there are plenty of other safe alternatives out there.

Wheat Wacker Rookie

Thanks for the advice, for now it's staying off the grass for me as well until I get this thing sorted out. I face a unique challange as I work overseas in a very remote Isolated environment. When I have time off and I'm travelling I try to find and bring back any food health items I can. I no there are a lot of wheat grass free super food products out there, I just did'nt see any at the stores I stopped by. I will keep a better eye out. Thanks Again

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happylittlemama Rookie

I bought and took some of the "green" vitamins, but I hadn't looked at all the ingredients carefully. So I took them for about three days and then the bad stomach cramps and migraines started and then realized they had barley grass in them. Someone on here had mentioned that the barley grass was safe if you knew they justed used the grass part, but if the seeds were involved, then it was going to be bad. Since there is no way of knowing you might want to avoid the products.

• 8 months later...
Rob Sutton Newbie

I have done a lot of experimentation with wheat grass. I makes me sick just as much as eating wheat or oats. If you need greens use spinach, kales, water cress and other non-grain source veggies. Also watch out for green juice smoothies that contain barley and/or wheat grass. When you find the foods that digest don't vary from it. My rule of thumb now is if it makes me sleepy, depressed, lose muscle tone, I won't eat or drink it (no matter how healthy it is claimed to be!). People with Celiac must live in a different world than the mass population or suffer the Celiac symptoms.

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

This is a really old thread but I thought I'd throw out there that supplements are not well regulated, so what a label says is grass may actually be seeds or whole grains. Even if wheat grass is safe, theres no way to know if that's what's really in there.

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, though. I just couldn't resist responding.

Lori2 Contributor

I do continue to use my barley grass powder with no problem. I have used it for about twenty years and have arthritis problems without it. I contacted the company and they do test for gluten. It tests at less than 8ppm.

Archived