• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Can This Food Be Saved?

10 posts in this topic

I just cooked stir fry with fresh chicken and one of those frozen stir-fry mixes. As I was serving it, I found what looked like pasta. WTF? Sure enough, I looked more closely at the bag and yep, freaking pasta in the stir fry! Who wants pasta in their stir fry???

Can it be saved? We all react to CC. Can I wash the other veggies and chicken off? Or should I just give it away?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

jerseyangel    409

I just cooked stir fry with fresh chicken and one of those frozen stir-fry mixes. As I was serving it, I found what looked like pasta. WTF? Sure enough, I looked more closely at the bag and yep, freaking pasta in the stir fry! Who wants pasta in their stir fry???

Can it be saved? We all react to CC. Can I wash the other veggies and chicken off? Or should I just give it away?

I think it would be best to give it away :)

Juliebove    93

Throw it or give it away. I once fell for that. Saw an ad on TV for some frozen product and actually went to the store to look for it. Luckily the pasta was big and obvious. And then I thought... What in the world was I thinking? Same thing when I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I could buy pies for my daughter's birthday at school. Somehow I was thinking fruit. Totally forgot about the crust. Doh!

Ads by Google:

I'll give it away. I'll be seeing most of my family this weekend. Surely someone will want a delicious stir-fry!

The kids and I wound up eating beans and rice, which was delicious. I cooked another chicken breast for lunch tomorrow and hubby ate it while I was putting the kids to bed. grr.

Ads by Google:

mbrookes    75

And that, gentle reader, is why it takes me so long to buy groceries. We have to read the labels, even of the picture looks good.

Reading labels is something I usually do religiously, but this was probably something I bought while attempting to shop with the kids on a Saturday afternoon. Either that or I was in a gluten fog from passing the bakery too slowly.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Shirley Ann

• Topics

• Hello, I have been dealing with a mysterious rash for the past ten years that I am slowly beginning to think is DH.  It comes and goes, is itchy as all get out and shows up in all the areas that DH appears (elbows, back, torso, knees and base of neck).  It comes and goes over the years which has thrown me a little, but from what I can tell it can happen with DH? Anyways I went to an allergist, he was a jerk and told me it was not an allergy and to get a biopsy (which was done ten years ago when it first happened, but okay).  Me being at my wits end I called up a local dermatologist and got an appt for a biopsy.  I went in armed and ready with the info I have read here about the correct biopsy etc.  Well of course the dermatologist wouldn't give me the time of day Would not listen to the past history of the rash or look at photos, was in and out within five minutes and insisted on a scratch biopsy instead of a punch biopsy.  She simply said she would be highly surprised if it was DH.  I try to respect doctors so I pushed but I did not push hard enough.  She did the scratch biopsy against my recommendations.  So that brings us to today when I received a message that the biopsy showed an allergy and that they could either give me an order of prednisone or refer me to an allergist.  Now if you remember my local allergist sent me away and said it wasn't an allergy.  I am so done and I refuse to just keep medicating myself, I need to find the root cause.   So I have a physical tomorrow night with my regular doctor and I am tempted to just insist on a punch biopsy next to the rash for a proper biopsy.  Couple questions for you guys though.  If a scratch biopsy came back as an allergy could that possibly lead to gluten allergy (I know it doesn't prove that, but could it mean it could be gluten?).  Should I keep pushing for a punch biopsy? I am planning to go gluten free after this appointment anyways but I keep eating it to try and get a proper diagnosis.  I feel I should get a proper diagnosis, one to keep me on track, one to make sure that is what it is and also I did try gluten free for 30 days before and it didn't seem to help the rash.  But from what I have read that could have been to short of a time.  I feel I need a proper diagnosis to help me stay with it and keep on the right path.   Lastly, the rash definitely went through stages and is at an end stage, still itches like crazy but isn't as bad looking as when it started.  Does it matter when you take the biopsy as long as there is a rash it will potentially show?  I hope all this makes sense.  I am tired of being told I am crazy from doctors.  If they could find the solution I wouldn't be looking myself.  I would be very happy to be proved wrong but so far that has not happened and I just want an answer! So tired of being itchy!! Thank you very much for your help and listening!!!
    • I'm sorry I don't have much advice for you but I can relate in some ways. I've took generic Zoloft for about 10 years. When I was diagnosed celiac I worried about and researched my medications and am confident that they are safe for me. I have spent many years fighting depression and anxiety and have tried different meds but finally accepted I need the Zoloft and Xanax probably for life. I will say that most of our serotonin is in our stomachs and any time I switched meds or had to withdrawal my stomach issues were the worst. So please be careful with switching or stopping ( never cold turkey) any psychiatric medication. Also you could be sensitive to other grains. Gluten free bread does not like me. Also so far I have not found any one in the medical field that takes celiac seriously. I have been laughed at even and most don't have a clue what problems gluten does to us mentally and physically.
    • When does it matter if its gluten-free? ( likely is)  but she isn't eating it. She isn't 2 and put her fingers and paint brush in her mouth.  Are you or your son going to lick the glass?  Of course not.    Any paint can be be scraped off glass with a razor blade.  Some people use dry erase markers
    • Wow. I'm quite surprised that this is so highly heritable. I mean, I knew there was a genetic component, but most things I've read have said that it isn't very well understood and that other factors play a part.  This gives me a lot to think about.
    • The point is, celiac is mostly genetic, it can be dormant for years then come up. You can have it with no symptoms for years as it slowly eats away at your insides also. So you should have your kids eating gluten and get them tested. This way you know if they have active celiac. They should also be tested every year or so as there is a high chance they will get it.
  • Upcoming Events