• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Kneading

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Quick question to all you excellent bakers: do you need to knead gluten-free dough that does not have yeast in it? I thought kneading either helped with the yeast or, in yeast free doughs, it activated the gluten. So if I am adapting a biscuit recipe (no yeast) and using gluten-free flour, can I omit the kneading step? Thank you!

PS Had several failed attempts to adapt an english muffin recipe because the dough wouldn't rise, so I am avoiding yeasty stuff for now, haha. Maybe one day!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

You can't kneed gluten-free dough.

It always has the consistency of thick cake batter.

And it only takes 1 rise before you bake it.

gluten-free dough is usually too thin to knead; it is more soft mounds than cake-batter consistency for breads (at least at 1.6 km elevation). However, it is good to mix the dough completely so it is homogeneous. Just an observation, but the xanthan gum seems more elastic if the dough is mixed well. If using a breadmaker, I usually have a full "knead" and one rise with yeast breads. A second rise doesn't hurt unless you have really wimpy yeast. With cakes and yeast-free breads, there is no real risk of it being too elastic, so you don't need to limit the mixing like you would with gluten-based batter. :)

The previous posters are correct about most gluten free doughs not needing to be kneaded. I'm just curious what recipe you are trying to convert, because I actually never kneaded biscuits when I made them prior to gluten free. Usually the more you knead a biscuit dough the tougher the biscuit will be. I like my biscuits light and fluffy. I'm not sure if the same approach would work with a gluten free biscuit, however. I have yet to have success making gluten-free biscuits. So maybe they need to be kneaded? Do you care to share the recipe you were trying to make gluten-free? I would love to be able to make good gluten-free biscuits. Everyone here is great at helping with converting or suggesting alternative recipes.

Oh, these are delicious and I highly recommend them. I have made them with the kneading step and without, and didn't notice a difference between the two batches (hence this topic post ;) ) In place of the flour I use Carol's Sorghum blend (1 1/2 c sorghum flour, 1 1/2 c corn starch, 1 c tapioca flour) and then add about 1/2 tsp xanthum gum to the recipe. I also usually form it into 8 individual biscuits/scones as well. They are superb, especially with honey!

Ingredients

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup yellow cornmeal

3 tablespoons sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces

1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375