• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Hyperemesis Graviduram And Celiac Disease

12 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone else has suffered Hyperemesis Graviduram during their pregnancies. I have now had it with both pregnancies. I have always wondered if their was a connection b/w the two, and if it might be auto-immune related.

I'm sure the damage from the Celiac didn't help the lack of nutrition from the Hyperemesis though!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

i'm very interested to see if anyone knows of any link too... i dont think my mom was ever diagnosed- but she was vomiting the entire pregnancy with me- she left the hospital in a size 2 baby doll dress (this was 1972).. she took meds with my 2 brothers... then with my sister she was sick till about month 8.

she was dehydrated & on B12 injections with me.

she has at least 1 DQ8, and Hypothyroid.

i would really love to know if there's any link

There's no published research that I could find on Pubmed between 1947 and the present linking Celiac and hyperemesis gravidarum. I wouldn't be surprised if having concurrent electrolyte and vitamin disturbances from Celiac Disease would cause an increased risk of hyperem, though. It just makes logical sense.

What I did find is that hyperemesis does run in families, which means that there's likely a genetic component. I did not find any specific genes that have been identified for hyperem, but if they're the same as for Celiac, then you could easily have a link that way.

An interesting study found a link in nonsmokers between being either over- or underweight and having increased risk of hyperem, while smokers overall had lower rates than nonsmokers. So I guess that while smoking increases risks to the baby and the mom and will ultimately ruin the mom's quality of life and predispose to cancers, etc, it also lowers the risk of hyperemesis! YAY!

That's very interesting, especially about the smoking.

I am also on a hypermesis forum, and it's not uncommon for the women there to use medicinal marijuana. I don't use it, but many women say it's the only thing that works.

I stick with Zofran, unisom, nexium (Reglan and Phenergen before developing allergic reactions. I also had a PICC line for a month before it became infected.

I know of one lady that was diagnosed after having two hyperemetic pregnancies. Her third pg she did not have hyperemesis.

I haven't had anyone else in my family diagnosed with hyperemesis or celiac, so I'm not sure of the family link for me - unless they just gave me all the "lucky" genes. ;)

That's very interesting, especially about the smoking.

I am also on a hypermesis forum, and it's not uncommon for the women there to use medicinal marijuana. I don't use it, but many women say it's the only thing that works.

I stick with Zofran, unisom, nexium (Reglan and Phenergen before developing allergic reactions. I also had a PICC line for a month before it became infected.

I know of one lady that was diagnosed after having two hyperemetic pregnancies. Her third pg she did not have hyperemesis.

I haven't had anyone else in my family diagnosed with hyperemesis or celiac, so I'm not sure of the family link for me - unless they just gave me all the "lucky" genes. ;)

I couldn't possibly recommend using medicinal marijuana because there are risks associated with using marijuana during pregnancy, whereas the prescription drugs are better tested and more likely well understood ... but yeah. I understand that women who can't stop puking while pregnant will do whatever they can because they want to stop - puking without end is dangerous for both mom and baby.

*hugs* I'm sorry you've had to go through both hyperemesis and Celiac! It's a rotten combo.

Ads by Google:

ive never understood how marijuana helps many with nausea (or pain, for that matter)... now, i havent smoked pot since i dont know- 2003... but it always made me nauseaus.. and one time i smoked while on my 2nd day of my cycle- and it didnt do a thing for my cramps AT ALL. ciggarettes make me nauseaus too.

but if it does help some, then that's good.. i'd rather put on my sea bands

i dont know what im gonna do the next time i get a stomach bug :( the last time i was sick was before going gluten free... saltines were the only thing i could handle..

Wow... my kids won't be happy to learn that it can run in families!! I wasn't diagnosed specifically w/ hyperemesis, but was SO sick for the first 3 months w/ each pregnancy... the last being the worst! I lost more than 25 lbs. in the first 3 months and had to go to bed for several weeks when I started spotting. Luckily (I guess), I was a good 25 lbs. overweight when I got pregnant, so losing that weight in the beginning put me right back to my prepregnancy weight and once that horrible nausea/vomiting finally stopped... I had the joy of putting BACK on 25 lbs... haha.

I never had a medicine that helped at all.

I had my 2 kids in the early 80's--I don't know if I had an actual diagnosis either, but with my first I was terribly nauseous from week 4-5 until he was born. It never let up. I lost weight the first couple of months--the doctor put me on an anti-nausea med that didn't work for me. (can't remember the name after all these years)

With my second three years later, I had the nausea with vomiting for the first 12 weeks, and then it vanished. I gained much more weight with that one :)

At 34 weeks - almost 35 weeks, I'm still under my pre-pregnancy weight. I have an ultrasound again next week because I'm measuring small. Thankfully, I've had very aggressive, preemptive treatment that has made this case a lot milder than my last. I was on partial bedrest for 6 months with my first, and hospitalized I don't know how many times. This time the PICC line, home health and IV fluids kept me from that - thankfully! On the plus side, I know that when I deliver I will actually get better. I'm stuck w/ Celiac though. I don't mind too much about the Celiac b/c it really helps me to eat healthier.

I had HG during the first 5 months of my pregnancy. I slept next to the toilet and had to go into the hospital twice and be put on IVs with Zofran. I lost 15 pounds in 9 days. I only weighed 5 more pounds when I gave birth than before I got pregnant. At the time, I had never even heard of Celiac Disease. After giving birth, I became extremely fatigued, sick all the time, headaches, jaw aches, and loss of brain power. After 4 years of complaining to my doctor (my daughter is about to turn 4) I have just been officially diagnosed with Celiac Disease by blood work and endoscopy. I think my pregnancy triggered Celiac for me.

I also found myself pregnant about 2 years ago. This pregnancy was an "oops" compared to my first pregnancy in which I spent 6 months loading up on vitamins and healthy food before even trying. I lost the second pregnancy at 8 weeks. I now think that I lost the pregnancy due to undiagnosed Celiac Disease.

I totally believe there is a connection. I wish the best to everyone who is trying or already pregnant. Good luck!

ive never understood how marijuana helps many with nausea (or pain, for that matter)... now, i havent smoked pot since i dont know- 2003... but it always made me nauseaus.. and one time i smoked while on my 2nd day of my cycle- and it didnt do a thing for my cramps AT ALL. ciggarettes make me nauseaus too.

but if it does help some, then that's good.. i'd rather put on my sea bands

i dont know what im gonna do the next time i get a stomach bug :( the last time i was sick was before going gluten free... saltines were the only thing i could handle..

I'm 6 weeks pregnant now and I know what you mean with the saltines. I got Glutino gluten-free crackers and drink Reeds ginger beer. It really helps me. I am hoping to escape the extreme morning sickness this time around (I was hospitalized twice with my son).

Hugs and I hope it helps!

Posted (edited)

I had severe HG with my first two pregnancies (in the hospital every few days with an IV for drugs and fluids).  I was diagnosed Celiac after my second child was born.  I avoided all gluten and got pregnant a third time after a year and was hospitalized only twice!  I didn't gain any weight with the first two pregnancies but gained 30 lbs with the third.  What a difference!  Definite link in my experiences between gut health and pregnancy health. 

Edited by Tab