• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
GFreeMO

Hot Cocoa, Cocoa Powder Question

Rate this topic

I have read that Hershey's may or may not be safe. I am wanting to make hot cocoa at home using Hershey's cocoa powder and milk. They have a recipe on the can. The ingredients listed is just cocoa and nothing else. I understand that a lot of their so called gluten free candy has made a lot of people sick. Is there any reason that this may contain any gluten from CC?

Thanks!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I use Hershey's cocoa powder for everything chocolate. No problems here...

I've had no problems with Hershey's cocoa. I'm allergic to milk, and use Vance's powder with no issues.

• Upvote 1

I successfully use Hershey's cocoa in my hot chocolate with no problems. A little cocoa, sugar and milk or water makes the most delicious hot cocoa! I think since the cocoa isn't being processed into anything it doesn't get the cross contamination that could happen if it were going on equipment that processes wheat.

My brother in law works at Hershey Co. and the cocoa is good to go for us celiac folks :)

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

There are many Hershey's products that are just fine. The issues tend to be with multiple use machines. I have no issues with Hershey's standard size candy bars, nor the cocoa (or chocholate chips). They report these to be gluten-free. They are well informed if you call customer service.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Steviejbell

• Topics

• I just want you to remind you that I just had a repeat endoscopy last week after my diagnosis some five years ago.   Even though my antibodies are still elevated, my intestinal tract has healed.  But why have I been feeling sick?  I have chronic gastritis.  Who would have guessed?   I do not drink (rarely), take any meds other than my thyroid replacement, and do not have H. Pylori.  That leave autoimmune as the most likely culprit.  I also have some other minor issues that I think is related to Hashimoto’s.  So, I am in an autoimmune flare-up, but celiac disease is not the cause of current my woes. My endoscopy results have validated that I have been doing a good job about avoiding gluten.  I can relax a bit now!   I think because the treatment for celiac disease is a burden placed on us, it can become overwhelming.  Sure, we all eventually master the diet and most of us go on to lead plain old normal lives, but if something is off, celiac disease is the first thing that many of us blame.  Actually, we blame ourselves, to be honest.  We have to remember that we are often dealing with other health issues too.   As far as hair, I buy gluten free shampoo.  It is from Costco and it says it right on the label.  Nice and inexpensive.   Do I really need it to be gluten free?  No.  I think the last time I swallowed shampoo, my mother was most likely bathing me and I did not heed her warning to keep my mouth shut (baby shampoo may not sting your eyes but it tastes awful!).   Like you, sometimes I think it helps to have one less thing to think about and that can be priceless.           
    • https://www.twinings.co.uk/hot-chocolate-coffee-other-drinks/hot-chocolate-and-malt-drinks/twinings-swiss-chocolate-drink Have discovered this drink - it's great, labelled gluten free and is also fortified.   I can't drink too much milk as I get bloated, but find it tastes really nice even made mostly with hot water and just a small amount of milk.  Thank you Twinings.
    • Ennis_TX, thank you for your response! I will take heed of all your nutritional pieces of advice, one by one. And yes, I am aware that a gluten marathon is on the horizon soon.   Before doing the test, however, I shall try to fortify my diet with the nutrients you mentioned, and report back in a week or two.   I think adding some iron supplement is wise too.    
    • Ms. Alemayoh recalls a childhood of trips to Ethiopia to visit family, returning to Australia with suitcases packed with spices and traditional Ethiopian teff flour, brought in part to cook for a sister who has celiac disease. (Teff flour is gluten free.) Saba's opened in 2015, and Ms. Gebre remains the ... View the full article
    • Yeah I thought that rant might make me look like a queer after reading it a bit later.....I am straight btw I just have very long and fine hair...that yeah it blows everywhere and gets in my mouth sometimes, and always pushing it with my hands or having to tie it up.  I blew up because it sometimes feels like I am talking to a bunch jocks with buzz cuts when it comes to hair....like people that do not understand no matter what you do....it is going to end up in your mouth and you have to keep messing it and working with it when the stuff runs like 4-6" past your shoulders.
      >.< thing is some times with the way your hair is.....you do not rinse it all out...some conditioners I have used in the past used to b ones you would not rinse all the way out....it sort of does become a issue that is very easily avoided. There are many more options for gluten free shampoos now days and many companies have taken the allergy/gluten concern to heart and removed them/used alternatives to boost sales to a larger demographic. Point is while yes I did blow up about it...and honestly in many cases the "hydrolyzed wheat protein" thing is a hit and miss on if it really contained gluten, but better safe then sorry is my bet and with tons of options....why chance it?

• Upcoming Events