This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Colorings, Red #40, Yellow #5

grantschoep

grantschoep Contributor

After being diagnosed a few weeks back, and getting advice from others and my father who is gluten intolerant. I do get conflicting views of what is good or bad.

One of the ingriediants my Dad had mentioned to stay away from seems to be in LOTS and LOTS of things, especially candy. He had said he remeber that Red #40, and Yellow #5 both could contain gluten. But now he doesn't remeber where that was, and I haven't been able to find much reference to it on the web.

Does anyone know, is Red #40 and Yellow #5 ok? I'm thinking it could be one of those "depends" cases. As I see Gobstoppers and Nerds both have the above ingrediants, but Wonka phone support says they are both gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't think you'll find that either one of these dyes ever has gluten. I've never found an artificial color with gluten.

Many ingredients that you are told to be careful about are actually always or nearly always gluten-free.

richard

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Both of those candies are gluten free. 99.9% of the time these flavorings are gluten free but you still have to check when you see that unless it is a brand that will not hide anything, like Kraft.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I forgot what company it was, but I remember reading that they put gluten in a few of their colorings. You just have to be careful.

but Wonka phone support says they are both gluten free.
If the info is fairly recent then I don't think there would be any problem eating those :D Enjoy.
  • 6 years later...
GeekWad Newbie

As I see Gobstoppers and Nerds both have the above ingrediants, but Wonka phone support says they are both gluten free.

article Gluten-Free Candy, as of October 2011 on about.com listed:

The following Nestle candy products are NOT gluten-free:

Wonka Nerds

Everlasting Gobstopper

now i don't know what to believe. i talked to someone who studied gluten free at college and he said that if it doesn't' say Gluten free on the package it probably has gluten. even lunch meats have gluten. So far i only know of Boar's Head meats that are gluten free

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Wonka Nerds

Everlasting Gobstopper

now i don't know what to believe. i talked to someone who studied gluten free at college and he said that if it doesn't' say Gluten free on the package it probably has gluten. even lunch meats have gluten. So far i only know of Boar's Head meats that are gluten free

Welcome to the board. You are replying to a very old thread and things do change. If you have doubt about a product call the company directly. There are many lunch meats that are safe. Hormel has many that are safe as does Oscar Meyer and others. Best to get prepackaged rather than from the deli slicer since the slicer can be a source of CC. Some companies are very good at labeling, Kraft and Unilever products are a good example, if you don't see a gluten ingredient it is safe. If you are having trouble figuring out whether a particular item is safe for you start a topic about it here and perhaps someone will know.

lovegrov Collaborator

Wonka Nerds

Everlasting Gobstopper

As ravenwood just said, nearly every deli meat out there is gluten-free.

As for the Nerds and Gobstoppers, the ingredients themselves are gluten-free, but they are made in a facility that also makes things with gluten. Some folks don't eat things made in shared facilities; many do. Your choice.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

. i talked to someone who studied gluten free at college and he said that if it doesn't' say Gluten free on the package it probably has gluten.

Really? a college course is being offered on "gluten free"?? wow--that's new.

And that is not necessarily true--many, many packages of food items in the stores do not have a "gluten free" label and they are naturally gluten free--like boxes of oranges and packages of beef, etc.

Archived