• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
celiachap

Consumer Reports On Health Newletter: Celiac

Rate this topic

The July 2005 newsletter/publication from Consumer Reports on Health has an article on page 10 (and for their website subscribers) called Wheat 'allergy' - Is it Celiac Disease?

One of the magazine's consultants for this article was Dr. Peter H.R. Green, of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York. As many of us already know, Dr. Green has devoted his career to Celiac disease.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    wisefish

• Topics

• Soft blended, soups, porridge, Personally I had to avoid the follow for my last gluten attack Spices (made it burn),  any carbs, sugars even in trace amounts caused gas, We normally suggest removing dairy and oats also as they become problematic during healing. Simple soft cooked egg dishes (coconut/almond meal quiche and microwaved omelettes), nut meal porridge sit best for me. Many swear by peppermint and camomilla tea, and peptobismal but neither of those work for me personally, other swear by Imodium for the D.

There is a product out there that is supposed to lessen the symptoms of a exposure called GlidainX that helps to break down some of the gluten in the intestines so it is not as bad but you have to take it right after realizing the issue. Not tried it personally but after my last exposure and the following 4 weeks of random bouts of D I had I would have tried anything lol. MY D did no stop til my antibodies went back down and my exposure was a low and slow exposure to a CCed food staple....

• Hi lex, I haven't tested anything with NIMA myself, since I don't have one.   I did find some honey sites that claim they have gluten-free honey.  This is just a couple I found in a quick search.  It seems to me honey is made from nectar of flowers.  The nectar is a precursor to the seed.  So the seed isn't formed until the flower is fertilized.  Then gluten is formed as the seed matures.  So normally I think there is little chance of honey having gluten in it because the nectar and gluten are not present at the same time in the plants. I don't think it's impossible for honey to somehow get some gluten in it.  Honey from china has been adulterated with other things already.  Generally high fructose corn syrup.  But who know what else they put in it? I think's its safer to buy local honey where you know the farmer than imported brands IMHO. If there were a large flour mill in the area where the honey was being harvested I'd be a little wary of it myself.  At least for honey produced during the harvest season. http://www.barkmanhoney.com/faqs/does-honey-contain-gluten/ http://www.capilanohoney.com/au-en/faq/is-your-honey-gluten-free Is your honey gluten free?       Honey is naturally free of gluten. It does not contain wheat or its by-products. Our honey is 100% pure and natural, nothing has been added to it, therefore it is 100% gluten free. In addition to this, no gluten containing products are handled or stored in our packing facilities.  
    • Hi everyone! New to the forum. I was diagnosed in 2012, told to never eat gluten again, and never had a follow-up or anyone really care about the diagnosis. My Endo checked my vitamin D levels (the low level and genetic history lead to my diagnosis) bi-annually which have remained now in the normal range. This level is what I was always told determined if absorption was happening or not. I have never heard of the things everyone on here gets tested for  I feel so cheated out of my health in a way. anyways. I have severe, severe brain fog. I used to be so smart, sharp, witty, focused. I even have some personality changes and severe anxiety. I was put on Xanax after I was diagnosed but my tolerance to that medication is outrageous. I have to take three times the prescribed dose (my doctor knows this) in order to get any relief/clarity. I have a weight problem even though I work out four days a week (with a trainer), probably due to my flip floppy thyroid levels. Anyways, that’s my story! I have appointments with a new PCP, Endo, and GI doc in March! Just wanted to share with you all because you’re so kind and helpful. If anyone has any advice for this brain fog, I would be so appreciative.  I should also mention that I was extremely smart and sharp before stopping gluten, ironic? Like the lack of gluten dumbed me down 🙈 I never ever cheat. I know restaurants aren’t 100%, but I rarely chance that. There may be SOME cross contamination but I never feel repercussions.  Thanks for reading ☺️
    • Does anyone one have the symptom of period like cramps?  After menopause?
    • I have an ipad and iphone - so not sure if these exact games are available to you. I like a word game called word crossy.  Also "1010" games are good to try.  Picross style games can be fun
  • Upcoming Events