This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

JNBuunnie....this post was a riot! Boston baked beans are the best. Not those wimpy, tomato based things but real beans swimming in a molasses based sauce and slow cooked to perfection. You people haven't lived until you've had them. ;)

Oh boy, there's nothing like them!

My French-Canadian Gramma's family who immigrated to Boston

and my Irish immigrant great-grandmother BOTH had an amazing baked bean recipe that takes all day long to slowly cook in an authentic baked bean pot. They fed their big families for days with those beans. My Mom recalls eating baked bean sammies on sweet cream buttered bread--and so do I. (slurp) and every girl got her own bean pot after she was married. :D (mine is right here on the shelf and has seen much use)

As you say: The key? Molasses!.... but it also had onions, salt pork, brown sugar, mustard.....YUM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

SmileyKylie Rookie

Baked Potato Bar - Chives, Onions, Ground Hamburger, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Homemade Salsa

mushroom Proficient

Shroomster, Alex turned me on to Hellman's Canola oil mayo.

I was skeptical (as I did not care for the Spectrum mayo)

but I have to say, it's the "real deal".

And I thanked her profusely. :lol:

That's what I always used to buy, but now all I can find is Best Foods with soy bean oil. That's why I say I have to go shopping. I didn't care for the Spectrum stuff either. If it's still out there, one of these days I'll find it :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

That's what I always used to buy, but now all I can find is Best Foods with soy bean oil. That's why I say I have to go shopping. I didn't care for the Spectrum stuff either. If it's still out there, one of these days I'll find it :ph34r:

You're in the states now right? Want me to mail you a few jars? You know I'll do it. :)

Adalaide Mentor

I haven't opened it yet, but I picked up a jar of Hellman's canola oil mayo at Wal-Mart a few days ago. I'm pretty excited to try it. It wasn't very expensive at all, I don't recall balking at the price compared to the other jars.

I'm going to try eating food that almost needs to be chewed tonight. Shredded chicken tacos. Never made them before but I'm pretty excited. My wonder hubby brought home queso fresco for me last night! Since he's gluten free now I kissed him, right on his lips, without making him brush his teeth. It was pretty awesome. B)

IrishHeart Veteran

My wonder hubby brought home queso fresco for me last night! Since he's gluten free now I kissed him, right on his lips, without making him brush his teeth. It was pretty awesome. B)

:wub: SWEEEEET.

I'm trying STUFFED PEPPERS in the Slow cooker today.

I'm so happy you guys told me to break that thing out of the box it sat in for 4 years!! :lol:

It's too dang hot and hubs will be gone all day golfing (nuthead). Whatever time he drags himself home, they will be ready.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I have a question for you guys.

I have not ate red meat since 2009. I would like to add it in somehow to give me more dinner options, especially since it seems to be the goldmine when it comes to nutrients.

Any suggestions as to how I should do that? I'd love a taco salad right now made out of something other than turkey meat. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer

Made fish tacos for the first time ever - lightly (rice) floured cubes of ahi tuna browned in a skillet with olive oil, then served with tomatoes, guacamole, white shredded cheese and cole slaw in warmed corn tortillas.

Pretty awesome!

Adalaide Mentor

I grew up on a farm raising cows, I don't think I've ever gone more than 3 days without eating beef. I wouldn't have a clue how to recommend safely introducing red meats back in to your diet. Unless someone here has some insight it may be helpful to visit a nutritionist. I've been adding some ground turkey into my diet a bit here and there replacing some beef, so it sort of strikes me as a little funny to see someone doing the opposite. (I'm not trying to be healthy, I keep finding it on sale cheaper than beef. I much prefer cows.)

Simona19 Collaborator

I made stuffed eggplant with beef mixture on top of ragu sauce made from Italian pepper, onion and tomatoes. Baked potatoes- sliced, sprinkled with spices and olive oil; salad made from Italian pepper, leek, scallions, carrot, cucumber, olive oil and salt. I also made grilled chicken breast marinated in Italian dressing mixed with horseradish, mustard and ketchup. Today we had unexpected company, so this was my fast dinner creation. The eggplant was superb. Everybody liked it. I served over plain rice. We ate too much, so no snack today.

I will post the recipe for eggplant later.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I have a question for you guys.

I have not ate red meat since 2009. I would like to add it in somehow to give me more dinner options, especially since it seems to be the goldmine when it comes to nutrients.

Any suggestions as to how I should do that? I'd love a taco salad right now made out of something other than turkey meat. Thanks!

This one's easy- just use ground beef for the taco salad?

Adalaide Mentor

Not really feeling up to cooking tonight. We've got storms going through, bringing humidity but not dropping any of their stinkin' rain on us! Stupid clouds. :angry: Too hot and grumpy to be in the kitchen so I just used last night's leftover shredded chicken and turned it into quesadillas. There was a beautiful fat golden tomato ripe today too so I cut that up and ate the whole thing with my dinner. It was almost enough to make up for being outside feeling like I was breathing soup watering my plants.

Lisa Mentor

Not really feeling up to cooking tonight. We've got storms going through, bringing humidity but not dropping any of their stinkin' rain on us! Stupid clouds. :angry: Too hot and grumpy to be in the kitchen so I just used last night's leftover shredded chicken and turned it into quesadillas. There was a beautiful fat golden tomato ripe today too so I cut that up and ate the whole thing with my dinner. It was almost enough to make up for being outside feeling like I was breathing soup watering my plants.

We must live in the same town! <_< Rain everywhere, except over my house.

love2travel Mentor

British for my sister who is visiting who lived in Scotland:

Bangers and Mash (local Cumberland sausages with buttery creamy mashed potatoes)

Onion Sauce

Minted Mushy Peas

OK, these aren't British:

Goat Cheese Drizzled with Garlic, Thyme and Lemon--infused Olive Oil with Pink Peppercorns

Chocolate Crepes with Rose Petal Whipped Cream, Butterscotch and Chocolate Sauces and Toasted Coconut

alex11602 Collaborator

For dinner tonight we had bacon wrapped rosemary chicken- I used turkey bacon and the rosemary was fresh from my little garden. We also had white rice noodles and roasted broccoli. All I can say is yum!

love2travel Mentor

Sweet and Spicy Shrimp with Broccoli and Black Sesame Seeds

Cellophane Glass Noodles

Japanese Cucumber Salad

Cherries

jerseyangel Proficient

I have no idea what I'm making tonight-- and it's already 5:30 here!

I wanna go to L2Travel's house:)

IrishHeart Veteran

I wanna go to L2Travel's house:)

P,

we ALL want to go to L2T's house... EVERY night.... :lol:

If you start now, you can pick up Sylvia, and then, me in NY and we could be there in a few hours (I KNOW where she is....) ;)

love2travel Mentor

P,

If you start now, you can pick up Sylvia, and then, me in NY and we could be there in a few hours (I KNOW where she is....) ;)

If you make the effort to come, the least I can do is make dessert with those cherries. Maybe Cherries Jubilee or Cherry Clafoutis would work. See you in two hours! :D

love2travel Mentor

I forgot something for tonight - we bought some fresh sheep cheese from a local cheesemaker so I infused some olive oil with thyme, peppercorns, rosemary and garlic to drizzle on top. Not really in keeping with the Asian slant of the meal but I must use up this cheese somehow! :P

mushroom Proficient

Oh, what a chore, to HAVE to use up fresh sheep's cheese :rolleyes:

sa1937 Community Regular

P,

Amen, sista!!! If it wasn't so dang cold up there in the winter, I'd move in with her (but she said I had to shovel the snow. sad.gif)

I'm having a pork chop, red potatoes, spinach and I have some strawberries in the fridge I just have to use up. laugh.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

If you make the effort to come, the least I can do is make dessert with those cherries. Maybe Cherries Jubilee or Cherry Clafoutis would work. See you in two hours! :D

Clafoutis.....You Jezebel, temptress!!!.....if only I COULD....I drool on my keyboard every time you post, honey! :lol:

and I swear, I gain weight :blink:

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh, what a chore, to HAVE to use up fresh sheep's cheese :rolleyes:

:lol: Udderly burdensome.

IrishHeart Veteran

Amen, sista!!! If it wasn't so dang cold up there in the winter, I'd move in with her (but she said I had to shovel the snow. sad.gif)

ooooo....she did say you had to shovel, babe (I remember!!) :D but if we pool all our cash, we could buy a snow blower..I have $6.00