This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

sa1937 Community Regular

Baked haddock (maybe with a lemon-herb sauce), red potatoes and fresh green beans. I also have a nice ripe freshly-picked tomato that's just begging to be eaten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GFreeMO Proficient

Baked chicken with fresh thyme from my herb garden, oven roasted red potatoes and carrots.

Marilyn R Community Regular

We had turnip greens in the traditional southern fashion. That's all that mattered to me, but I made fried polenta (to dip in the liquour of the greens) because I have not been able to find a gluten-free corn bread recipe that I trust.

We had chicken too, but for me, it was all about the greens and polenta. DP said "Wow, that's really good cornbread!" (He's a Yankee, but a good Yankee.)

I'll make desert pretty soon. Gluten free icecream cone dipped in microwaved allergen free chocolate chips mixed with a little cream, then filled with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with any leftover chocolate.

That's good with fresh or canned fruit too. Guess I'll stop writing about it & go do it.

Adalaide Mentor

Making "bread" for tonight, trying a new recipe out. I'll share it if it doesn't suck. Picked up some pork chops last night at the store, I'll probably bake them then use up all the juice to make some nice gravy to sop up with that bread. Diet you say? No, I didn't mention I was on one of those. I don't know what you're talking about. :ph34r:

love2travel Mentor

Pan-Fried Shrimp with Lemon Dill Sauce

Broccoli Rabe with Roasted Garlic

Asian Noodles with Peanut Dressing

sora Community Regular

Oh, I love sole. It is such a blank canvas.

I love sole and snapper. Apparently when I was a kid I loved Flounder too and whenever we went out for dinner I would have that while the other kids were having their spaghetti or burgers.

Another heat wave here so I may not even eat tonight, maybe just fruit.

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, it's too darn hot here to cook, so I'll pick up Sora on my way to Love2's house.

Like Adalaide, I made bread today..."mock" rye bread today-- 2 loaves---but really, it's 88 out there....what was I thinking?

****added in "mock" so I don't scare the beejeepers out of anyone! :lol: thinking, has she lost her mind???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Well, it's too darn hot here to cook, so I'll pick up Sora on my way to Love2's house.

Like Adalaide, I made some rye bread today-- 2 loaves---but really, it's 88 out there....what was I thinking?

I thought we were not suppose to eat rye.

I miss bread. :(

sa1937 Community Regular

I thought we were not suppose to eat rye.

I miss bread. :(

She probably meant "mock rye". I think I've seen some recipes for it but they are made from gluten-free ingredients and somehow emulate a rye flavor.

notme Experienced

Like Adalaide, I made some rye bread today-- 2 loaves---but really, it's 88 out there....what was I thinking?

rye bread recipe??? :) pretty please??? did you ever make it before and how did it turn out?? o my goodness i would love a good old sloppy reuben on rye!! (rudi's is good, buttt........)

edited to say:

we are having fried flounder w/(leftover) bang-bang sauce and rice and zucchini 'slaw'

last night was greek pitas w/tri-color pasta salad (i use udi's pizza crust in place of the pita - pretty good!)

Simona19 Collaborator

I'm making the stuffed egplant again with ragu and plain white rice and a vegetarian risotto with onion, carrot, peas and corn for my son.

GladGirl Rookie

Oh, yes a "rye" bread recipe would be great!! I do miss my reuben's!!

Tonight I made stuffed bell peppers with onions and garlic sauteed first in the skillet with virgin olive oil and then browned the ground round, added diced tomatoes and steamed rice, spooned into the prepped fresh peppers (got them at the Farmer's Market just today) and then a small dinner salad tossed with chopped olives and vinagarette.

Tomorrow, well, I just boiled some eggs, so, thinking a spinach salad to start with the eggs and vinagarette...have that gluten free bisquick mix and fresh strawberries, so dessert...mmmmm should be a very nice short cake!

IrishHeart Veteran

rye bread recipe??? :) pretty please??? did you ever make it before and how did it turn out?? o my goodness i would love a good old sloppy reuben on rye!! (rudi's is good, buttt........)

I am not a huge rye bread fan, but I love my Reubens, too.

Hubs and my friend, Elaine LOVE it, so I make it for them. I did not add the "rye flavoring" (it is expensive to ship it from authentic foods, but I may try it next time) BUT I did use the caraway--generously IN the mix and sprinkled on top of the loaves with an egg-white wash.

It lasts well in the fridge. It is awesome toasted with cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers and red onion.

Even I thought it tasted like "rye" bread. And yes, it makes a decent reuben! :)

here:

http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_dairy_free_mock_rye_bread-1535-1.html

Adalaide Mentor

Yeast. <_< Oh well I didn't want rye bread anyway. (I'll tell myself this until I believe it.)

My bread last night didn't turn out as bread. I wanted a half recipe, so I soaked the appropriate amount of grains. I then got home from my movie, forgot and added the full amount of everything else. Oops. I'll try again tonight with a smaller dose of idiocy!

Tonight is grilled New York strips, quinoa salad, taters and bread. (Hopefully.) I think I still have a bowl of pudding I made on Monday too so we'll probably polish that off for dessert.

love2travel Mentor

Provencal Roast Chicken with Olives, Lemon and White Wine

Mashed Potatoes with Swiss Chard

New Green Beans (from my garden) with Maître d'Hôtel Butter

I am making mango lime jam today which will be perfect with Manchego cheese on crostini!

Gemini Experienced

Yes - we have snow in Canada for 6-7 months. And not just a wee bit, either. So, whomever is willing to shovel, I'll do the cooking! Maybe you can get some decent seat sales. :P

I love snow...really. My favorite time of year is winter. It does wonders for the hot flashes. I also love gourmet cooking and eating. I would be willing to shovel for some of the menus you have posted here! :D I also would love to visit that part of Canada.

sora Community Regular

I am making Italian sausage with peppers and onions and probably rice and a plate of fresh veggies cut up.

Last night after a rain the temp went down and my son and I made Poutine (bad girl) and hotdogs and peaches for dessert.

Adalaide Mentor

At first I was like what the heck is Poutine. Then I was like :blink: That looks so good! I actually have a local creamery where I can buy fresh curds. Which I'm not supposed to eat, but lets be honest here. French fries. Fresh curds. Gravy. Um, put me on the sign up list! (see, this is why I'm still fat)

sora Community Regular

At first I was like what the heck is Poutine. Then I was like :blink: That looks so good! I actually have a local creamery where I can buy fresh curds. Which I'm not supposed to eat, but lets be honest here. French fries. Fresh curds. Gravy. Um, put me on the sign up list! (see, this is why I'm still fat)

I have heard that authentic Poutine has to be made with chicken gravy. I do like it better than beef myself.

alex11602 Collaborator

Chicken breast with mashed potatoes and roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots).

Adalaide Mentor

My bread tonight turned out as bread! Yay, I didn't royally screw it up this time. This is the recipe I used, although I only made half since I hardly have the space or pans to cook a whole recipe of it. I don't think I could eat that much either. It isn't amazing, but it's good. Once I had it slathered in gravy though? Was just like I remember, bread covered in gravy. Yum!

sora Community Regular

My bread tonight turned out as bread! Yay, I didn't royally screw it up this time. This is the recipe I used, although I only made half since I hardly have the space or pans to cook a whole recipe of it. I don't think I could eat that much either. It isn't amazing, but it's good. Once I had it slathered in gravy though? Was just like I remember, bread covered in gravy. Yum!

I am going to try this, it looks good and sounds so easy. Thanks.

notme Experienced

I am not a huge rye bread fan, but I love my Reubens, too.

Hubs and my friend, Elaine LOVE it, so I make it for them. I did not add the "rye flavoring" (it is expensive to ship it from authentic foods, but I may try it next time) BUT I did use the caraway--generously IN the mix and sprinkled on top of the loaves with an egg-white wash.

It lasts well in the fridge. It is awesome toasted with cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers and red onion.

Even I thought it tasted like "rye" bread. And yes, it makes a decent reuben! :)

here:

http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_dairy_free_mock_rye_bread-1535-1.html

thanx, IH :) now as soon as the temperature goes down below 90 (or 80!) hubs hates caraway seeds so i'm just gonna wing it

sora Community Regular

Crazy in a heat wave(100 today)but I made a huge pot of Beef stew.

Hopefully we can eat off that for a day or so. They are predicting 106 degrees by Sunday.

Adalaide Mentor

Mmmmm.... beef stew. Sounds yummy! The weather doesn't quite sound as awesome as your dinner.

We found a box of gluten free mac & cheese (kraft style) on clearance so we had that with some burgers for dinner tonight. It wasn't amazing but when it's been months and you just want a quickie dinner, it's a nice change of pace. I suppose we may occasionally indulge.