This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

notme Experienced

Would you please let me know when you're making this again and give me directions to your house? laugh.gif

I'm going to have some leftover spinach quiche and a salad.

i don't want to o.d. the husband, so, probably next week :P just take a right at the light and go straight into night lolz

no snow here, sylvia, so leave your shovel home!!

quiche sounds like a great idea for dinner - it's been soooo hot - do you make yours with crust and if so, what recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

notme Experienced

Isn't gnocchi great? I love it when I hear of people making it. It's almost embarassing how easy it is but tastes so luscious. And talk about endless possibilities! I make it often. Last week I made it with a local spicy sausage and tomato ragout.

i was amazed :) i steamed the potatoes and they came out the perfect texture. didn't have a ricer, so i smushed it through a colander lolz

i have been browsing through tomato jam recipes..... mmmmm

love2travel Mentor

Hmmm...that's not exactly what my kids would have thought as being a "kids" meal. laugh.gif

I told my son last night on the phone that I was going to be ready to give them tomatoes this week...even if I eat them 3 times a day, I won't be able to use them all. And I have only one Early Girl tomato plant, which will produce until frost.

You get all that from just one plant? Amazing. We only grow four plants and they get ginormous in size. We are growing a cherry tomato, zebra (the gorgeous green), an early girl and a beefsteak this year. I imagine they will produce several hundred fruits and I cannot wait. Calabrese salad, here I come! :P

sa1937 Community Regular

i don't want to o.d. the husband, so, probably next week :P just take a right at the light and go straight into night lolz

no snow here, sylvia, so leave your shovel home!!

quiche sounds like a great idea for dinner - it's been soooo hot - do you make yours with crust and if so, what recipe?

Oooh...glad you gave me those directions!!! laugh.gif

I make crustless quiche as it's so much easier. Plus my hips really don't need that crust anyway. I don't really use a recipe. You can google the basic filling ingredients, mix them together and then put them in a buttered pie pan (I use Corning Ware or glass). I did throw in a couple of tablespoons of gluten-free Bisquick. For Christmas Eve I baked it in mini-muffin tins and they were a hit.

For me the basic igredients are eggs, half-and-half, grated cheese, salt and pepper plus whatever else you want in it. I've used spinach with Swiss cheese, mushrooms with a mild cheese, Southwestern with a small can of green chiles, sliced ripe olives and Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese, bacon and Swiss cheese...you can see the possibilities are endless. And sometimes I've even had misc. dribs and drabs of cheese left that I wanted to get rid of so have used a combination of those.

The last time I made it, I froze the leftovers and just nuked the piece I had last night. It freezes well. Sometimes I've made it in mini aluminum pie tins (like the cheap pot pie size) and frozen them. This is about as close as I come to "fast food".

sa1937 Community Regular

You get all that from just one plant? Amazing. We only grow four plants and they get ginormous in size. We are growing a cherry tomato, zebra (the gorgeous green), an early girl and a beefsteak this year. I imagine they will produce several hundred fruits and I cannot wait. Calabrese salad, here I come! :P

Yes...now I don't have enough that they could can but I will have lots more than I can eat myself. I had a different variety last year that did not do well at all so this year I went back to Early Girl and it bears prolifically until frost.

If I get too overrun, I've even in the past thrown them in a bag in the freezer (I usually cut the top off and scoop out the seeds first). When I take them out of the freezer, I can run water over them and the skin slips right off. Good to use in soups or chili.

love2travel Mentor

Yes...now I don't have enough that they could can but I will have lots more than I can eat myself. I had a different variety last year that did not do well at all so this year I went back to Early Girl and it bears prolifically until frost.

If I get too overrun, I've even in the past thrown them in a bag in the freezer (I usually cut the top off and scoop out the seeds first). When I take them out of the freezer, I can run water over them and the skin slips right off. Good to use in soups or chili.

Same here - that is a great way to keep tomatoes. We STILL have various pasta and tomatoes sauces I made from last year's tomatoes in the freezer. Oh, and a few jars of salsa.

sa1937 Community Regular

Same here - that is a great way to keep tomatoes. We STILL have various pasta and tomatoes sauces I made from last year's tomatoes in the freezer. Oh, and a few jars of salsa.

It is so easy that way and they don't go to waste...some years I've given tomatoes to neighbors or anyone who would take them off my hands. My son and DIL's tomatoes didn't do well this year so they can have some of mine.

Tonight for dinner...a bunless hamburger and ??? and sliced tomatoes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

Last night was baked sole with rice and sauteed zucchini and red pepper.

Jujubes for dessert. :P

love2travel Mentor

Shrimp and Swiss Chard Gratin (Gouda)

Zucchini, Mint and Feta Fritters

Steamed Green Beans (from our garden)

Grilled Nectarines with Lavender-Infused Honey

andi1235 Rookie

Copycat "Pan Pizza." I posted the recipe as a separate thread. I'm SOOOO happy with this one!! I tweaked a recipe I found online, and it made something that tasted just like I remember Pizza Hut. I wasn't even specifically going for that at the time, but it turned out REALLY well. :)

love2travel Mentor

Copycat "Pan Pizza." I posted the recipe as a separate thread. I'm SOOOO happy with this one!! I tweaked a recipe I found online, and it made something that tasted just like I remember Pizza Hut. I wasn't even specifically going for that at the time, but it turned out REALLY well. :)

That's awesome! Pizza is one of those things that we as celiacs can really miss. I, too, enjoy making pizza, especially with the crust that I am able to roll out as opposed to spread - it brings back the enjoyment I used to have making breads/crusts. :)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Love2- What's the difference between calabrese salad and caprese salad? I's confused!! :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Love2- What's the difference between calabrese salad and caprese salad? I's confused!! :lol:

Good catch! They are basically the same thing. Some people (i.e. Lidia Bastianich) calls it Calabrese; others call it Caprese. I've seen it called both in different regions in Italy, too! :P

love2travel Mentor

Grilled Maple-Brined Pork Tenderloins with Sweet and Spicy Pepper Glaze

Potato Blinis

Steamed Broccoli with Roasted Garlic

love2travel Mentor

Spicy Chung King Pork (Sichuan)

Bay-Infused Jasmine Rice

Stir-fried Green Beans

love2travel Mentor

Finnish Meatballs with Fresh Nutmeg and Sour Cream (with black plum chutney I am making today)

Dilled Baby Garden Potatoes

Roasted Swiss Chard

Double Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream

kittty Contributor

Yesterday was sweet & sour pork with stir fried veggies.

Gluten-free sweet & sour sauce (can't remember the brand name), added chopped pineapple and onion, simmered on the stove

Pork cut into cubes, dipped in egg, rolled in corn starch, and then fried in a wok until golden brown

Celery, onion, carrots, broccoli, garlic, ginger, and bean spouts sauteed with gluten-free soy sauce and rice wine vinegar

Served with white rice

nomoregluten Newbie

I tried a simple pesto chicken recipe with rice tonight. It was pretty good actually. Going to make it more often. I really really like the taste of pesto. recipe

Jestgar Rising Star

Blackberry cobbler

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Blackberry cobbler

You bad girl....

jerseyangel Proficient

Blackberry cobbler

I say perfect for a summer evening! I've been known to do the same with strawberry shortcake B)

Jestgar Rising Star

I say perfect for a summer evening! I've been known to do the same with strawberry shortcake B)

mmmmmm blackberry shortcake...

sora Community Regular

We made Tostadas. Yum.

sora Community Regular

Tonight is a simple chili with bannock.

Simona19 Collaborator

I'm making pizza tonight: one is regular(with gluten) and vegetarian with corn, black olives, mushrooms, roasted red onion and green bell pepper, cheese and eggs.

-another gluten free with cheese, corn, imported ham, and eggs and

-one (for me) gluten free with roasted green pepper and red onion, corn, mushrooms, black olives, hungrian sausage and eggs.

I also made kale chips between baking pizzas and gluten-free bread.

Pizza came out very good, so I will share picture from it.

2. before

315boco.webp

After

261gdg2.webp