This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish, you and I would make a great cooking team, wouldn't we? We'd scope out all the unusual cool ingredients at the specialty shops and markets (making sure they are good and expensive) and cook our little hearts out.

Meals less than 3 ingredients? Heck, I know very well that both you and I can use up to 30 ingredients in a dish, let alone a meal. Bring on the complex, difficult, challenging and downright nearly impossible and we will DO IT! :D

I am not as eager about the "complex and difficult" as you are, hon. I DO like a good challenge, however.

I still am not quite sure what I said that made Karen think I said a meal could not be less than 3 ingredients (but I will claim short term memory loss from celiac) :lol: but I think it is possible to have one. A plain burger, a baked potato with butter isn't so bad, I guess??.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

sa1937 Community Regular

the current one is Dec/Jan and has cookies on the front

Do you mean

Oct/Nov (That was the Thanksgiving Hoilday Issue)

or Aug/Sept.

I can download it and email it you (PDF)

I searched the magazine's site for you. There is no red velvet cheesecake recipe coming up.

I looked, too, both the index of the my last several issues and online. No red velvet cheesecake recipe to be found. http://www.livingwit...s/archives.html

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Irish, you and I would make a great cooking team, wouldn't we? We'd scope out all the unusual cool ingredients at the specialty shops and markets (making sure they are good and expensive) and cook our little hearts out.

Meals less than 3 ingredients? Heck, I know very well that both you and I can use up to 30 ingredients in a dish, let alone a meal. Bring on the complex, difficult, challenging and downright nearly impossible and we will DO IT! :D

And I will happily stand behind you and pester you about how many dishes you are

dirtying!!! :lol: :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks for the house with the gorgeous kitchen! Who wants to tackle this building project? Are we going to become a commune of our own?

Those muffins sound delicious! :)

I think Karen should volunteer her hub, like she did for plowing snow. :)

The muffins are good, especially warm after a few min. out of the oven. I use Pamela's pumpkin bread recipe and make them into muffins. Easier. No slicing.

sa1937 Community Regular

And I will happily stand behind you and pester you about how many dishes you are

dirtying!!! :lol: :lol:

You can bet your last dollar that it'll be us washing those dishes!

IrishHeart Veteran

Seriously, can you imagine how happy we would all be?

A truly gluten-free community --sharing our recipes and eating and drinking together and never once worrying we were getting sick from it all?

Pure nirvana.

The only thing we would have to worry about is our tight pants....which brings us back to those muu muus..... :lol:

Before it gets too crazy and busy (my Mom is coming tomorrow)...

Happy Thanksgiving ,Everyone!!

..... or as Jacques Pepin and the icon that is Julia Child say: Happy Cooking and Bon Appetite!

I had a chef friend in Boston who used to say: if we cannot afford to live like kings, we can, at least, eat like them

Enjoy!xxoo .

Adalaide Mentor

I'll go cry now... I have no idea. A lady let me flip through it but I was was so distracted and frustrated by other things I didn't write it down. I just remember thinking that it isn't a big deal to contact the magazine and ask for a copy. This almost calls for breaking out the headbanging pony.

ETA: The one I have is not one of the ones I see listed on their website either. I have the Gluten-Free Holidays one with the blue cover. I suppose she could have been talking about the Thanksgiving one, I don't know. I'm so confused.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

The only thing we would have to worry about is our tight pants....which brings us back to those muu muus..... :lol:

And this is where the shoveling comes in!

Adalaide Mentor

Those muu muus are a far easier solution. I also have a man I can throw at the shoveling problem. BRING ON THE MUU MUUS!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

OOOOOO!! (still not doing it) SYLVIA!!!!!!!

Those muu muus are a far easier solution. I also have a man I can throw at the shoveling problem. BRING ON THE MUU MUUS!!!

yesssss!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I'll go cry now... I have no idea. A lady let me flip through it but I was was so distracted and frustrated by other things I didn't write it down. I just remember thinking that it isn't a big deal to contact the magazine and ask for a copy. This almost calls for breaking out the headbanging pony.

ETA: The one I have is not one of the ones I see listed on their website either. I have the Gluten-Free Holidays one with the blue cover. I suppose she could have been talking about the Thanksgiving one, I don't know. I'm so confused.

okay, do not panic!! (quoted by Douglas Adams... and IH, too) Panic serves no purpose.

What do you need? a cheesecake with red velvet cake in it? (never heard of that, but hey, Lovey can figure it out)

or do you want A Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting?

babe, those are easy peasy!!!

Adalaide Mentor

Maybe the lady was confused and it wasn't a Living Without magazine she was carrying around in her purse at all. The picture though was clearly a cheesecake, that was red. I usually have tiramisu for my birthday but making a cheesecake seems far more simple. And I would have the added bonus of having made cream cheese so I could have bagels for breakfast. I googled a little and found red velvet cheesecake brownies. Those could be a perfectly adequate replacement if they have to be. Who would complain about brownies?

Until then, maybe I'll have to make myself a champagne and strawberry cake to soothe myself. Clearly not just for New Year's celebrations!

IrishHeart Veteran

Maybe the lady was confused and it wasn't a Living Without magazine she was carrying around in her purse at all. The picture though was clearly a cheesecake, that was red. I usually have tiramisu for my birthday but making a cheesecake seems far more simple. And I would have the added bonus of having made cream cheese so I could have bagels for breakfast. I googled a little and found red velvet cheesecake brownies. Those could be a perfectly adequate replacement if they have to be. Who would complain about brownies?

Until then, maybe I'll have to make myself a champagne and strawberry cake to soothe myself. Clearly not just for New Year's celebrations!

YES! I saw many gluten-free red velvet cheesecake brownies on my search for you....go for it!!

problem solved..all's well in the land....the end....and, G'night sleepy dinner thread members!

Adalaide Mentor

Tonight, leftovers. That is the best reason to cook a turkey right? We never made it to the pumpkin pie shakes last night. My husband's cat went missing and we both went out in the rain for a bit looking for him but neither of us felt up to shakes. The jerk came home today acting all like nothing ever happened. Cats. <_< So shakes tonight with our leftovers.

IrishHeart Veteran

Tonight, leftovers. That is the best reason to cook a turkey right? We never made it to the pumpkin pie shakes last night. My husband's cat went missing and we both went out in the rain for a bit looking for him but neither of us felt up to shakes. The jerk came home today acting all like nothing ever happened. Cats. <_< So shakes tonight with our leftovers.

Oh, for pete's sake, Addy! I told you a thousand times, it's not leftovers, it's "encores" :lol:

Cats do not care what we think..I have worried myself sick over Bella when she wanders....and she always comes home.

and finally....make pumpkin muffins, or bread or pie....shakes are not that great in winter...

They are okay in the summer, but in winter, nah.....they are fleeting and cold...It's like reading a sexy novel, with the window open in December.....goosebumps, shivering and no satisfaction.

shadowicewolf Proficient

-snort-

I used to buy awsome icecream cones in teh winter in MT. 75 cents for a massive cone. Worth every penny.

I've got to go get my laundry then i'll start on zeh mac and cheese.

sa1937 Community Regular

Hey, just have lots of champagne and you won't give a hoot about the cheesecake!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey, just have lots of champagne and you won't give a hoot about the cheesecake!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

now, this woman speaks to me...champagne over cake . :lol: :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Time to kick someone's ass. Went to go back thru copies of Living Without to look for the missing Red Velvet recipe and found that my dear hubby has tossed this year's collection - now I'm not saying there are not things worth tossing laying about - but why does he always pick things that piss me off?

I think we'll designate him as our dishwasher after he finishes building custom homes for us all -- of course he loves to cook as much as I do so we may need to hire a cabana boy to poor wine, champagne, shake martinis, do the dishes and shovel the snow!

mushroom Proficient

now, this woman speaks to me...champagne over cake . :lol: :lol:

Speaks to me, too. On the airline, breakfast beverage cart arrives, coffee?? tea?? (always with loads of caffeine because they want to wake you up and get you outta there!) or juice?? nope, not that either, I always ask for the sparkling wine -- oh, how they hate to open that if still corked :P -- and those in the vicinity all look at this lush who is having "champagne" for breakfast. Well, I know, I could have just water, but I am celebrating that I am about to be let out of this crate :lol:

Lisa Mentor

Edy's has Pumpkin Ice Cream (limited edition) which is really quite good! I served it to company with ginger snaps. I personally prefer ice cream in the winter with a good movie. B)

Meatloaf tonight. Hunts Meatloaf Sauce (with some added spices) and ground beef makes a great, EASY and moist meal.

IrishHeart Veteran

omg, LIsaSkidoodle...this is too funny..one of the best jokes we have in our house is "CABANA BOY! BRING Me DRINKS!!! "(one of the best memories I have is me, years ago, sitting on the beach in St. John... where this bronzed young man ran down the beach carrying drinks on a tray yelling COCKTAILS!.. COCKTAILS! .sigh...he was so adorable.....sigh

holy crap on a cracker...we have digressed....but I took all of you with me, so..girls, we go down together hahahaha

okay back on topic.....DINNER tonight was so -so..after all, it was "encores".but this convo..., made me laugh out loud!! thank you all for being so much fun. Thanksgiving blessings, one and all.

IrishHeart Veteran

Speaks to me, too. On the airline, breakfast beverage cart arrives, coffee?? tea?? (always with loads of caffeine because they want to wake you up and get you outta there!) or juice?? nope, not that either, I always ask for the sparkling wine -- oh, how they hate to open that if still corked :P -- and those in the vicinity all look at this lush who is having "champagne" for breakfast. Well, I know, I could have just water, but I am celebrating that I am about to be let out of this crate :lol:

A girl after my own heart. ;)

Lisa Mentor

...I am celebrating that I am about to be let out of this crate :lol:

understandable, indeed! :rolleyes:

GottaSki Mentor

And shoveling snow may be good exercise, but we will get plenty when I drag you all out on the slopes -- ummm -- this snow you speak of will be resort adjacent, right?

Dinner for my men is nightshade free chicken enchiladas (cream/garlic sauce), refried beans from scratch and salad.

Endless spaghetti squash encores for me - basil spinach garlic almond pesto tonight :)