This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

love2travel Mentor

It made me smile widely this morning to see so many well wishes and concern about my unfortunate day yesterday! Wow. It is awesome that we have each others' backs! Thank you. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

love2travel Mentor

No mystery to me, girls. I get it. Those ER trips pre-DX,,,, only to have a normal EKG? Found it is chostochondiritis. And intense connective tissue pain, muscles like wood ...these are my life. And YES, definitely celiac related. The good thing is, it gets less intense with time, massages, PT, stretching, etc,

Glad you are all right, Lovey! I suggest warm compresses, massages and relaxation. Physical therapy, cupping-- anything to relax those muscles. Hugs to you both, as I literally "feel " your pain.

Mammograms should not hurt, but if you have trigger points (those hyper-irritable knots you can feel as your run your fingers over your muscles?) will make them feel like torture. Massage the areas as often as you can to break them up.They will release. Tell your hubbies you need frequent chest massages and see how fast they come running......Just a thought, sent with :wub:

We go through some crazy stuff, don't we? Yes, I do have trigger points there which are hyper sensitive. My massage therapist massages my pecs each week which feels so good and loosens things up, at least for the week.

I sort of mentioned frequent massages to my husband and he didn't exactly shudder at the thought, nor did he flee... ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

My point is, healing is taking place--even if it doesn't seem like it. It just takes (a lot <_< ) longer for some of us. Threads like this just go to show how resilient, creative, and tough you all are--eating so well on what is available to you. I love it!! :D

Thank you for reinforcing this to all of us, Patti.

When I first came on c.com, it was stories like yours and Shroom's and so many others who had to persevere to find a safe repertoire of foods to heal and get well.

I say it so often to others, but really need to hear it myself sometimes. Time means healing.

I have revamped my diet so many times, it makes my head spin.

The past few days have been really painful reminders that sometimes, just going gluten-free (and soy, legume and dairy free too ) is not enough.

For right now.

Thanks for the pep talk. I truly appreciate it.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thank you for reinforcing this to all of us, Patti.

When I first came on c.com, it was stories like yours and Shroom's and so many others who had to persevere to find a safe repertoire of foods to heal and get well.

I say it so often to others, but really need to hear it myself sometimes. Time means healing.

I have revamped my diet so many times, it makes my head spin.

The past few days have been really painful reminders that sometimes, just going gluten-free (and soy, legume and dairy free too ) is not enough.

For right now.

Thanks for the pep talk. I truly appreciate it.

I remember what it was like to be in that muddle of trying to figure out what was causing problems for me. It could be overwhelming at times, when I seemingly reacted for no apparent reason while being so strict. I truly thought back then that after 20+ years of sickness, I would go gluten free and feel "normal". (rude awakening....but it's a process) Looking back from this vantage point, I have to credit time as being equally as important as what I ate for my eventual healing and ability to incorporate more foods.

You are doing all you can do right now ;)

GottaSki Mentor

YAY...CSU apps in -- glad the server didn't crash -- son took it all in stride - wish I had his calm many days.

Patti - THANK YOU always great to be reminded of the light at the end of the tunnel -- I've seen it, but didn't know there were going to be multiple tunnels :P live and learn.

All the massage talk cracks me up -- I knew how much my hubby wanted me to get better when he helped find the NP that does mine -- one of his friend's warned him that there was boob touching involved and my husband didn't bat an eyelash during the first appt -- he went along to take notes as I was a complete frog back then -- at least that is his story and he is sticking to it.

Crockpot Pork Roast for dinner -- off to make first round of jerky -- I'm in need a few more portable snacks now that I am vertical once again :D

kareng Grand Master

YAY...CSU apps in -- glad the server didn't crash -- son took it all in stride - wish I had his calm many days.

Patti - THANK YOU always great to be reminded of the light at the end of the tunnel -- I've seen it, but didn't know there were going to be multiple tunnels :P live and learn.

All the massage talk cracks me up -- I knew how much my hubby wanted me to get better when he helped find the NP that does mine -- one of his friend's warned him that there was boob touching involved and my husband didn't bat an eyelash during the first appt -- he went along to take notes as I was a complete frog back then -- at least that is his story and he is sticking to it.

Crockpot Pork Roast for dinner -- off to make first round of jerky -- I'm in need a few more portable snacks now that I am vertical once again :D

Is that C for California orColorado State?

GottaSki Mentor

California - older son considered Colorado.

This one will likely do the cc tranfer deal so he can obtain his degree from one of the best English depts - grades have never been a driving force for this creative son.

Cracked me up this morning when I realized he had great grades during my healthful times and crappy ones during my froggy/horizontal times - chaulk up another ding to my celiac stolen moments score - looking forward to adding many more great moments to the scoreboard.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

well, thats good. College apps are :blink:

GottaSki Mentor

Oh L2T-

Obama care made preventative covered - if you are insured - didn't really solve the cost of insurance escalations problems though.

IrishHeart Veteran

always great to be reminded of the light at the end of the tunnel

....... and it isn't necessarily an oncoming train... :lol: Like you, I remain steadfast in my resolve to obtain full recovery.

& cheers to being "vertical" babes!! go get 'em champ!

What does your jerky taste like?

I have never made it in my life. Willing to try anything, am I!

Edited by IrishHeart
mushroom Proficient

What does your jerky tastes like?

Your post brings back preparations for a backpacking trip when we were staying at my parents' house. I made beef jerky and granola and (I think) gained new respect from my mom :lol: She tasted the granola and with an astonished expression said "This tastes good" and made it for herself ever after. Recipes are long since gone, but I should still be making my own granola except I can't have most of the ingredients any more.

IrishHeart Veteran

I made beef jerky and granola and (I think) gained new respect from my mom :lol: She tasted the granola and with an astonished expression said "This tastes good" and made it for herself ever after.

I can relate to being thrilled by a mom's kudos on our cooking. :D

Mine was here for Thanksgiving.

Her amazing apple pie was legendary and always my Birthday cake ---and I actually cried at the prospect of never having that flaky deliciousness ever again when I was Dxed. She went gluten-free after my diagnosis, so no more pie was made.

Fast forward to last week...

I finally perfected the pie crust (thank you ,fattening Lard !! and The Bronskis' recipe)

and when she said "OmyGahd, this is better than mine..."

I almost fainted. I said "I'm sorry, what did you say, Ma?"....just to hear it again....and

I thought, well, I could die right now knowing my Mom had given me the ultimate compliment.

Adalaide Mentor

I can relate to being thrilled by a mom's kudos on our cooking. :D

Mine was here for Thanksgiving.

Her amazing apple pie was legendary and always my Birthday cake ---and I actually cried at the prospect of never having that flaky deliciousness ever again when I was Dxed. She went gluten-free after my diagnosis, so no more pie was made.

Fast forward to last week...

I finally perfected the pie crust (thank you ,fattening Lard !! and The Bronskis' recipe)

and when she said "OmyGahd, this is better than mine..."

I almost fainted. I said "I'm sorry, what did you say, Ma?"....just to hear it again....and

I thought, well, I could die right now knowing my Mom had given me the ultimate compliment.

That is so awesome!!

I have a similarly cool compliment I got. I grew up in my grammy's kitchen. (More or less. It's where all my best memories are.) Every Saturday morning we would bake together all morning then feed lunch to whatever men were around. Sometimes just my grandpa, sometimes it seems hordes of them were there helping out at the sawmill, cutting firewood, out at the shop or whatever. Well one afternoon my grandpa said after he polished off his apple pie that after all these years, that was the best pie she ever made him. With the grace I have never seen anyone but her master (Grace is her middle name after all) she told him thank you, but your granddaughter made that pie. :D I knew then that I had "made it" so to speak.

Now I just need to finish mastering that gluten free. B)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Hahaha, my mother now calls me for cooking advice. That is not how I had imagined our role

reversal would start! :D

(men- warning! girl talk follows!)

Love2, I have to go next week for further testing on an abnormal Pap that came back. I am also

ordering myself not to freak out! Hard, isn't it? I'm only 28, but there is so very much cancer in

my family that they are going to want to start testing my breasts soon, so will likely have to find

someone who does breast thermography, which is a heat imaging scan. It's a rapidly advancing

imaging technology. I'm much too young for a mammogram to have any kind of accurate results.

I also have a fibrocystic breast, so that would mess up a mammogram too.

Funny how we just can't stay on topic, eh? :D :D

love2travel Mentor

Hahaha, my mother now calls me for cooking advice. That is not how I had imagined our role

reversal would start! :D

(men- warning! girl talk follows!)

Love2, I have to go next week for further testing on an abnormal Pap that came back. I am also

ordering myself not to freak out! Hard, isn't it? I'm only 28, but there is so very much cancer in

my family that they are going to want to start testing my breasts soon, so will likely have to find

someone who does breast thermography, which is a heat imaging scan. It's a rapidly advancing

imaging technology. I'm much too young for a mammogram to have any kind of accurate results.

I also have a fibrocystic breast, so that would mess up a mammogram too.

Funny how we just can't stay on topic, eh? :D :D

Oh, so sorry about cancer running in your family. My dad died of cancer, too.

Just saw a show on TV about thermography and it is now being outlawed in areas in Canada because it gives so many false positives and false negatives. Brand new research as of a few days ago. Not to scare you or anything but I would personally think twice about it. Many clinics have been instructed they must immediately halt the procedure. Interesting. But if you have no cysts or other stuff mammograms are not painful - my first one was a breeze. The digital mammograms are incredibly accurate. The tech told me that they are so sensitive they pick up tiny hairs that are invisible to the naked eye.

My sister had an abnormal pap and had to go for further testing and it was nothing. It is far better that they seem to be thorough and not take any chances.

I know what you mean about staying on topic. Where else can you discuss bowel movements, breast massage, migraines and food on the same threads? :lol:

love2travel Mentor

My Mom has always called me for cooking advice. I was the cook in the family since I was very young. Friends and people I don't even know call me several times a week re food-related questions. Love it!

Tonight we are traveling to India:

Authentic Chicken Curry (with homemade Madras and mango chutney) with Toasted Almonds

Curried Potatoes with Mustard Seeds

Cardamom-Scented Roasted Carrots

And, this is not Indian, but we are having fresh-out-of-the-oven Country Batard bread. It is nice and light and airy.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Oh, so sorry about cancer running in your family. My dad died of cancer, too.

Just saw a show on TV about thermography and it is now being outlawed in areas in Canada because it gives so many false positives and false negatives. Brand new research as of a few days ago. Not to scare you or anything but I would personally think twice about it. Many clinics have been instructed they must immediately halt the procedure. Interesting. But if you have no cysts or other stuff mammograms are not painful - my first one was a breeze. The digital mammograms are incredibly accurate. The tech told me that they are so sensitive they pick up tiny hairs that are invisible to the naked eye.

My sister had an abnormal pap and had to go for further testing and it was nothing. It is far better that they seem to be thorough and not take any chances.

I know what you mean about staying on topic. Where else can you discuss bowel movements, breast massage, migraines and food on the same threads? :lol:

I'd love to see that show. Generally, thermography is never intended as a replacement for mammograms,

it is intended to be supplemental, or helpful in cases where a woman is too young for accurate mammograms,

like myself. It would likely be used in conjunction with ultrasound for someone like me, until I reach an age

where mammograms would be effective. Hopefully, by that point smushing of the boobies will be a thing of

the past, given all the damage mine have already endured.... :ph34r: I am curious as to why there is an outcry

against thermography in Canada but have not seen anything about it in the states as of yet. Off I go to read!

love2travel Mentor

I'd love to see that show. Generally, thermography is never intended as a replacement for mammograms,

it is intended to be supplemental, or helpful in cases where a woman is too young for accurate mammograms,

like myself. It would likely be used in conjunction with ultrasound for someone like me, until I reach an age

where mammograms would be effective. Hopefully, by that point smushing of the boobies will be a thing of

the past, given all the damage mine have already endured.... :ph34r: I am curious as to why there is an outcry

against thermography in Canada but have not seen anything about it in the states as of yet. Off I go to read!

It was on the news and a documentary - will do some digging to see if I can find the info to post. It was very interesting and the first I had heard of the strong opposition to it. Sometimes you have to wonder whom to believe?

ETA: Here is one short article - will do some more looking.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ermography.html

One more...this is the main one.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anada-1127.html

Edited by love2travel
Persei V. Enthusiast

Beans and steak.

Dried bananas from a different brand dissapointed me and now I'm bloated and gassy. At least I don't have D, nor cramping,.. Well, maybe beans aren't a good idea, but it's what I can eat...

love2travel Mentor

Beans and steak.

Dried bananas from a different brand dissapointed me and now I'm bloated and gassy. At least I don't have D, nor cramping,.. Well, maybe beans aren't a good idea, but it's what I can eat...

How are you doing your beans and steak? Inquiring minds want details! ;)

shadowicewolf Proficient

Honestly, i don't think the men venture into this thread very much :lol: I could be wrong.

love2travel Mentor

....... and it isn't necessarily an oncoming train... :lol: Like you, I remain steadfast in my resolve to obtain full recovery.

& cheers to being "vertical" babes!! go get 'em champ!

What does your jerky taste like?

As you can tell, I'm not GottaSki responding here ( :lol: ) but what the heck...try this jerky recipe. Dead easy and even more deadly tasting.

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-beef-jerky-42272

IrishHeart Veteran

And this is why we thought it would be okay to call it Dinner and a Chat :lol:

Seriously, girls....as someone who has had abnormal paps many times, a surgical breast biopsy and a mass removed... and who now undergoes mammos (the new digital mammos and ultra sound) sometimes as often as every 6 months, I can honestly say DO NOT PANIC or lose any sleep--just go, have the test and be grateful they have tests to detect these anomolies so early. Most times, it's NOTHING.

Honestly, i don't think the men venture into this thread very much :lol: I could be wrong.

Nope, I think you're right! :lol:

As you can tell, I'm not GottaSki responding here ( :lol: ) but what the heck...try this jerky recipe. Dead easy and even more deadly tasting.

http://www.food.com/...eef-jerky-42272

Thank you and I am sure SKIdoodle will also reply....she may be taking her walk--after all, she is vertical again...YAAYY!

IrishHeart Veteran

Now I just need to finish mastering that gluten free. B)

SWEET story and if you want, I'l tell you what I did to make that pie.

sora Community Regular

Beef stew with dumplings.

Wow, I have missed so much being away from here for a few days. Communes, ER's and breasts!

Re: communes, can I come? I'll bring my sewing machine and make MuuMuu's.