This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

shadowicewolf Proficient

I might do a pasta with butter sauce...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Dad's 82nd Birthday tomorrow so we celebrate tonight!

Crunchmaster Crackers with warm BACON Jam & Tortilla Chips with Spinach Dip for snacks

Steak, Creamy Garlic Enchiladas (oops just remember I need to add this recipe to another thread), The Original Ceasar Salad

Blueberry Cheesecake for my Dad and the rest of the family

Blueberry Ice Cream for myself -- I am so excited I've improved my safe vanilla almond ice cream to be less ICE and more CREAM and added blueberries -- I can hardly wait for dessert -- earlier today I was having a bit of a pity party while making the blueberry cheesecake.

IrishHeart Veteran

Dad's 82nd Birthday tomorrow so we celebrate tonight!

Crunchmaster Crackers with warm BACON Jam & Tortilla Chips with Spinach Dip for snacks

Steak, Creamy Garlic Enchiladas (oops just remember I need to add this recipe to another thread), The Original Ceasar Salad

Blueberry Cheesecake for my Dad and the rest of the family

Blueberry Ice Cream for myself -- I am so excited I've improved my safe vanilla almond ice cream to be less ICE and more CREAM and added blueberries -- I can hardly wait for dessert -- earlier today I was having a bit of a pity party while making the blueberry cheesecake.

This sounds like a wonderful party menu, Ski!!

Have a great time. & HBD to Daddy Ski.

PS. ((hugs)) on the pity party--but remember---It may not be forever.

Hang tough, vertical chickie--you're making great progress!!

Love, your equally ridiculously fiesty tenacious optimistic warrior celiac sister, IH

and that BACON JAM is redunkulous...yum yum yum

oh

and the hubster would like to know --what's the creamy garlic enchiladas all about? he is interested.

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

Tonight I have my home-made minestrone (which should never contain pasta, IMO!) with: butternut, zucchini, rainbow chard, mushrooms, leeks, romaine, tomatoes, carrots, celery, fennel, and chunks of chicken. And I have finally made my first loaf of coconut bread, so I will have some toasted with olive oil and basil for garnish!

(Vegetable soup is my comfort food. Weird, I know.)

IrishHeart Veteran

(Vegetable soup is my comfort food. Weird, I know.)

not weird to me--sounds YUMMY! enjoy!

Persei V. Enthusiast

Slices of one laaarge banana topped with chocolate and cinnamon almond butter

Chicken breast yakissoba sans the noodles

Guava juice and acerola juice (yup, two glasses)

I was hungry.

GottaSki Mentor

This sounds like a wonderful party menu, Ski!!

Have a great time. & HBD to Daddy Ski.

PS. ((hugs)) on the pity party--but remember---It may not be forever.

Hang tough, vertical chickie--you're making great progress!!

Love, your equally ridiculously fiesty tenacious optimistic warrior celiac sister, IH

and that BACON JAM is redunkulous...yum yum yum

oh

and the hubster would like to know --what's the creamy garlic enchiladas all about? he is interested.

Good Morning All-

What a wonderful night -- first family gathering (yep they are always at our house -- long before food was an issue) this year that I wasn't sick, tired, bloated or in pain for the whole event :D

LOL -- no ski daddy here -- except my hubby -- my Dad is the farthest thing from sporty that you can get -- he is a wonderful musician / conductor that led the largest choral concerts in San Diego for many years. He's not handy either -- thus this sporty chick went off on her own adventures as a kid when she wasn't fixing things around the house for everyone else ;) He is, however, a strong, healthy world traveler (wish I did have his genes - I'm adopted) that enjoys good food -- thankfully my hubby and kids all know how to cook so when I fall short on any meal there are plenty hands to pick up the prep. Yesterday I made everything myself - except for shredding a pork roast and grating the mountain of cheese needed for a large quantity of enchiladas.

So Creamy Garlic Enchiladas got their base in a pre-dx Enchiladas Verdes recipe a friend of mine concocted about 25 years ago. The basis for that recipe was a can of green enchilada sauce which is doctored to taste heavenly -- found out very quickly after dx that the brand I used had gluten and tried other brands of sauce, but they just didn't taste the same. So back to kitchen chemistry I went because this family can not live without enchiladas. There were a few good versions, but my family says these are the best yet...I have not tasted this exact recipe, but did have some rice tortilla enchiladas with a similar garlic sauce last year while trialing dairy -- family assures this is the best:

Creamy Garlic Enchiladas

• Corn Tortillas - Rice work too, but corn are better
  • Jack Cheese - about a pound for a single pan
  • Any meat -- Turkey, Chicken, Pork -- leftovers work great. You can also use shirmp, crab.
  • Sauce
  • Diced Tomato and Green Onion for garnish on top

Yesterday I used an inexpensive pork roast -- had pork roast for dinner on Friday and just cooked extra meat then.

In blender:

1 and 1/2 Cup Cream

4 or 5 Cloves Garlic

Handful Fresh Cilantro

1/4 Cup Green Salsa (any brand)

1/4 Cup Sugar

Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Blend until well mixed - careful not to go too long or you'll have whipped cream - if it does thicken a bit too much just add a bit of water to thin. Thick is fine, just don't want "whip cream peaks" -- it should still laddle or pour.

Assemble in rectangular baking dish -- I use three different sizes depending on the crowd coming. If this is the main entree I make 2-3 per person -- if it is a side dish 1-2 per person. I live with my hubby and two teen/young adult men -- I make 4 each for them so there'll will be a few leftover. My Mom and Sister generally eat 2 each.

• In front of you is a rectangular pan, a bowl of grated cheese and a bowl of meat and the sauce
  • Heat the tortillas in a plastic bag in the microwave OR steam them in a covered sauce pot on the stove.
  • Pour or laddle enough sauce to lightly cover the pan then start rolling
  • One tortilla...small amount of meat along with a small amount of cheese - Roll as tight as possible..can be frustrating, but easy to learn -- keep rolling until the last enchilada holds them all in place.
  • Pour sauce over the tortillas -- you don't use it all...I pour or laddle along the center - leaving the ends kinda dry
  • Cover with more grated cheese
  • Sprinkle with diced tomato, green onion and black pepper

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 -- these can be made up to a day ahead and then baked when ready. If they've been in the frig you may need more baking time -- they should be kinda bubbly and just starting to tan.

These can be made with just garlic, cream and black pepper for those with nightshade issues -- no way for dairy free right now, but I'm working on it ;)

Edited to add -- yes the Bacon Jam is indeed redunkulous and shall now be known as Redunkulous Bacon Jam in our home -- everyone devoured the Bacon Jam on Crackers and left the pour bowl of Spinach Dip feeling very lonely -- also sent a teeny-tiny tupperware of RBJ home with each family member. They are eternally grateful to you LT2 -- your ears must have been bright red about 5pm PST yesterday - Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Ski, Thanks for sharing your story (I enjoyed it with my coffee this AM) and for the recipe. Hubs will be thrilled.

I will make them very soon

Pork tenderloin tonight

Sweet potatoes

Sauteed chard

applesauce

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I am about to feed the kids sausages and potato waffles then we are off to sons nativity. I love that stuff :)

Had a great time at the movies and enjoyed Bond

:);)

IrishHeart Veteran

I am about to feed the kids sausages and potato waffles then we are off to sons nativity. I love that stuff :)

Had a great time at the movies and enjoyed Bond

:);)

;) I'll bet

PS I love that stuff, too. Is it much like the children's nativity in "Love Actually"? :D

GFreeMO Proficient

Feeling a bit ill today so....

Kirkland pulled pork which I put a bottle of Stubbs bbq sauce on and some ore ida fries.

GottaSki Mentor

My men had breakfast for dinner - scrambled eggs and waffles topped with........yep RBJ!

I had chicken, broccoli slaw, onion, garlic quick fry with carrot/garlic sauce.

love2travel Mentor

Tonight I am making:

Lamb Ribs with Spice Rub and Sweet and Spicy Sauce (they will be very, very sticky and gooey)

Hasselback Potatoes with Bay and Garlic

Spicy Sauteed Corn with Scallions

IrishHeart Veteran

Lamb Ribs with Spice Rub and Sweet and Spicy Sauce (they will be very, very sticky and gooey)

big-drooling-smiley-emoticon.gif

and you all thought the clapping guy with the big teeth was creepy.....drooly guy is worse.

love2travel Mentor

big-drooling-smiley-emoticon.gif

and you all thought the clapping guy with the big teeth was creepy.....drooly guy is worse.

:lol: Oh, IH. Where the heck do you find these things? He's scaring me. :(

You should see and smell the ribs. Lamb ribs are amazing. Not tons of meat but I LOVE gnawing on the bones, too.

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol: Oh, IH. Where the heck do you find these things? He's scaring me. :(

You should see and smell the ribs. Lamb ribs are amazing. Not tons of meat but I LOVE gnawing on the bones, too.

Now, see THIS type of description is what provokes that drooling, honey.

oh, do not be scared. Karen can always shoot him.

The ribs sound outrageous. I LOVE lamb. Enjoy!

Dinner tonight (coincidentally)

Lamb patties

Sauteed Chard

Roasted baby potatoes

love2travel Mentor

Now, see THIS type of description is what provokes that drooling, honey.

oh, do not be scared. Karen can always shoot him.

The ribs sound outrageous. I LOVE lamb. Enjoy!

Dinner tonight (coincidentally)

Lamb patties

Sauteed Chard

Roasted baby potatoes

Karen, please help! That guy is scaring me.

IH, obviously great minds are thinking alike tonight! I, too, love lamb. I made a batch of the delicious sauce and about 1/3 of it is already in my gut (it didn't quite make it to the lamb). I am a condiment and sauce animal! :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

. I am a condiment and sauce animal! :lol:

No, really?? Because none of us would have ever known that! :lol: Do you know how many happy C and S- eating fans you have?

And the "RBJ" redunkulous bacon jam (ask SKI LISA) is making the rounds from coast to coast (literally)

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Some hard cider and BIG baked potato with butter....some cheese and crackers....it's a carb night! With a little dairy ;) Can I use the cider as fruit?

kareng Grand Master

Karen, please help! That guy is scaring me.

I could blow him up?

00020451thumb.gif smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-078.gif

GFreeMO Proficient

I had my latest food obsession....Del Real Chicken Tamales. With lettuce, tomato and some salsa. Really good.

love2travel Mentor

No, really?? Because none of us would have ever known that! :lol: Do you know how many happy C and S- eating fans you have?

And the "RBJ" redunkulous bacon jam (ask SKI LISA) is making the rounds from coast to coast (literally)

I guess sometimes I state the obvious, huh? :blink: C&S fans - I like it! :P

That's great news about the bacon jam. There is a REASON that it is making the rounds! Wonder if there is anyone who dislikes bacon?

mushroom Proficient

The only dislikeable bacons are baaaad bacon, and bacon with gluten :rolleyes:

Adalaide Mentor

That's great news about the bacon jam. There is a REASON that it is making the rounds! Wonder if there is anyone who dislikes bacon?

My baby cousin who was about 1 1/2 at the time spit out bacon and wouldn't try it again. I promptly took the opportunity to point out to my husband that it is his blood relation, not mine. Seriously, who spits bacon out?

cahill Collaborator

My baby cousin who was about 1 1/2 at the time spit out bacon and wouldn't try it again. I promptly took the opportunity to point out to my husband that it is his blood relation, not mine. Seriously, who spits bacon out?

LMAO!!!!