This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Are these last 2 posts related?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

IrishHeart Veteran

Are these last 2 posts related?

:lol: :lol:

:lol:

:lol: man, you're quick....no brain frogs here.

jerseyangel Proficient
:blink::unsure:
JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I put my boneless skinless (chicken) thighs in my big deep-sided fry pan, in a bit of oil,

covered in curry and garlic, and put the lid on and let'em steam. Then I take 'em out and

throw in my frozen veggies, put the lid back on, and crank the heat, magic sauced

veggies in 3 minutes, throw the chicken back in for a minute if necessary, although I

usually start eating the chicken while the veggies are cooking....

IrishHeart Veteran

I can't stop laughing....whoo boy...

ok, seriously.

Patti, I tried this recipe a few times and it is very good. If you do not have apple juice or cider, OJ would probably work. (last time, I had neither and used white wine and chicken broth and it was good too..)

Got bacon? (of course you do, what am I thinking?)

anyway, I am sure LOVEY will come up with a bunch of brilliant ones... but keep this one in mind for another time.

Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs With Bacon and Carmelized Onions

Ingredients:

• 4 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs (I have also used bone-in, or you could use breasts if you want)
  • 6-8 Slices Thick-Cut Bacon (about 1/2 pound)
  • 1 Medium-large Onion, Sliced thin
  • 1/3 Cup Stone Ground or Dijon Mustard
  • 2 TBLS Honey
  • 1/2 Cup Apple Juice or Apple Cider
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Green Onions for Garnish, if desired

Make It:

• In a cast iron or other oven safe skillet, heat onions and bacon until onions begin to caramelize and bacon is cooked but not crispy
  • While bacon and onions are cooking, mix honey and mustard in a small bowl and set aside
  • Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the chicken thighs
  • Push the onions and bacon to the sides of the skillet and add the chicken thighs, browning for about a minute on each side
  • Spoon the honey mustard over the chicken thighs. Coat it on thick.
  • Spread the onions and bacon around and over the chicken
  • Pour the apple juice/cider in to the skillet (but not directly over the chicken….you don’t want the honey mustard to come off)
  • Put the skillet in a 400 degree oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the bacon is getting crispy
  • Serve the chicken pieces with a big spoonful of the onions and bacon on top
  • Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired

love2travel Mentor

Boneless, skinless

OK. How about:

- Chicken and Dumplings

- Butter Chicken

- Chicken braised in red wine vinegar http://www.foodandwi...ed-wine-vinegar

- Chicken Paprikash (this recipe calls for breasts but I like it better with thighs)... http://www.seriousea...tm_medium=email

- Tikka Masala http://leitesculinar...kka-masala.html

- Thighs with pumpkin seed sauce (love this!) http://www.seriousea...uce-recipe.html

- French Dijon http://www.seriousea...tm_medium=email

- Mustard Baked with Pretzel Crust - http://www.foodandwi...a-pretzel-crust

- Spicy BACON Wrapped - http://www.greedygou...chicken-thighs/

- Bourbon - better with thighs - http://www.food.com/...n-chicken-45809

- Jerk Rubbed with Habanero Sauce - http://www.food.com/...n-chicken-45809

- How about a satay with rice wrappers?

- Japanese thighs - http://www.groupreci...-or-thighs.html

- Spicy Roasted with Miso and Ginger - http://www.thekitchn...n-thighs-112000

If I had more time at the moment I would post more but this should be a start.

Wait - stuff 'em with a mixture of feta or ricotta and fresh mint, shallot, whatever else and roast. I like to add roasted red pepper or sundried tomatoes.

Do you have any interesting ingredients on hand such as dried chiles, chiles en adobo, sumac, lemongrass? I didn't include recipes with these things but if you have let me know. If you have Umami paste, black garlic, chestnut puree...these are the things I keep in my pantry. I am a hoarder of wondrous ingredients.

You could also make a curry with coconut milk. I love Tyler Florence's version.

jerseyangel Proficient

Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs With Bacon and Carmelized Onions

That looks delish--thanks!

Talk about the "liquid" reminds me--I keep some of the small cartons of Pacific Broth on hand for when a recipe calls for a small amount of broth. They come in a 4-pack. Very handy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I put my boneless skinless (chicken) thighs in my big deep-sided fry pan, in a bit of oil,

covered in curry and garlic, and put the lid on and let'em steam. Then I take 'em out and

throw in my frozen veggies, put the lid back on, and crank the heat, magic sauced

veggies in 3 minutes, throw the chicken back in for a minute if necessary, although I

usually start eating the chicken while the veggies are cooking....

Thanks Bun--I ordered an electric pressure cooker and I'll bet this would be perfect in it!

jerseyangel Proficient

If I had more time at the moment I would post more but this should be a start.

These sound great--thanks!! I will peruse in detail this afternoon :D

IrishHeart Veteran

LOVE 2...that's awesome, hon........Thanks!

That looks delish--thanks!

Talk about the "liquid" reminds me--I keep some of the small cartons of Pacific Broth on hand for when a recipe calls for a small amount of broth. They come in a 4-pack. Very handy.

That is handy!! ....I have not seen them in a smaller size carton (maybe online--I'll check), but if I open a 32 oz. carton and know I will not be using it all, I freeze 8 oz. measured out in baggies.. I hate wasting it.

jerseyangel Proficient

Do you have any interesting ingredients on hand

No :ph34r: Lots of spices and things in the pantry but decidedly more....ordinary :P

jerseyangel Proficient

That is handy!! ....I have not seen them in a smaller size carton (maybe online--I'll check), but if I open a 32 oz. carton and know I will not be using it all, I freeze 8 oz. measured out in baggies.. I hate wasting it.

I get them at WF, Wegmans, ShopRite, or Acme. At Weggies they are in the "Natural Marketplace" but they are with the regular broths at the other 2 grocery stores.

IrishHeart Veteran

I get them at WF, Wegmans, ShopRite, or Acme. At Weggies they are in the "Natural Marketplace" but they are with the regular broths at the other 2 grocery stores.

alas, we have none of those here in my area, but they are building a ShopRite and we are getting a WF ... in 2014..whoohoo! :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Shop Rite has a nice little gluten free section. I normally shop there and Weggies. My only quibble with W is that they have a lot of their own products-- which is fine, they are well labeled and all-- but they don't offer as many national brands as a result. Those things I pick up at SR.

IrishHeart Veteran

I confess I am not the grocery shopper in the house. I am one of those fortunate few whose hubs does not mind doing it.

It was one of the many reasons why I married him. :D He actually goes to 3 different places to get what I want/need for cooking/baking.

I also rely heavily on good old Amaz...prime for shipping the bulk stuff.

So, what recipe are you going to try??!!

And PS to SKI...the tree is done. Your turn.

sora Community Regular

If only we could all get there I am quite sure we could all find a way to keep those boys warm.

I think they will be keeping us warm. ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/isus3muthhm2gf3/Photo 2012-12-19 3 00 51 PM.webp

kareng Grand Master

Do you have any interesting ingredients on hand such as dried chiles, chiles en adobo, sumac, lemongrass?

I have 2 of these! Whoo!

I feel like a real chef now!

cahill Collaborator

Dinner is eggs with homefries and an orange

IrishHeart Veteran

I remember when my friend (a graduate of the Culinary Institute in Florida) was surprised I had saffron threads and juniper berries (she didn't)

I felt so proud that day--like Karen says: "a real chef"

No one I know has sumac in their cupboards. Not even the professional chefs I know.

except.........you, Lovey. :) Man, I want to just walk through your pantry someday........

kareng Grand Master

I remember when my friend (a graduate of the Culinary Institute in Florida) was surprised I had saffron threads and juniper berries (she didn't)

I felt so proud that day--like Karen says: "a real chef"

No one I know has sumac in their cupboards. Not even the professional chefs I know.

except.........you, Lovey. :) Man, I want to just walk through your pantry someday........

I have sumac! I love that stuff! Great on plainish chicken and rice and veggie stuff! The lady at the Halal store I got it at said her grandma gave it to them to settle stomachs and aid digestion! She and I figured that would be good for Celiac!

mushroom Proficient

I have sumac! I love that stuff! Great on plainish chicken and rice and veggie stuff! The lady at the Halal store I got it at said her grandma gave it to them to settle stomachs and aid digestion! She and I figured that would be good for Celiac!

Man, the only sumac I heard of is poison, and I sure don't have that in my pantry. I do, however, have juniper berries and saffron.

kareng Grand Master

Sumac is big in Persian and Iraqi food. I get it at a Muslim meat store.

IrishHeart Veteran

Red Sumac trees ring our property and they are very pretty and the birds eat the berries like mad.

They are not to be confused with the spice that comes from the Mediterranean plant, of course.

The spice sumac is "lemony", isn't it Karen? I am sure my Armenian grandmother used it all the time, but I have never tried it myself.

Maybe I should get me some!

mushroom Proficient

Maybe I should get some and then I will have a lemon substitute???

love2travel Mentor

I have 2 of these! Whoo!

I feel like a real chef now!

Which two? You've piqued my interest.