This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

NoGlutenJose Rookie

Chicken Dumpling soup with hopefully mini Lemon Meringue pies

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Hubby made my favorite gift of cauli fried rice -- he has gotten so good at it -- I don't think I'll ever attempt it again ;)

and steamed broccoli - left the bbq tending of the steak to son.  All delicious -- is it me or does it taste better when someone else prepares?  

Perhaps I was just happy to be home -- Mom is trying to use walker regularly -- finally got Dad onboard to deliver it to her at different places in the house if she forgets...progress.  Extreme blood pressure flux that is causing the dizziness is closer to being under control.  Thanks for the well wishes.

Addie - how'd it go with the doc-tor?  I found a nice pre-sliced ham that is happily resting in my frig -- yep, I'm hitting the EZ button on Sunday as we are hosting the second annual "House Show" for my son's band and three others...Goodness we have tolerant neighbors! Be glad you live in other states on Saturday!

GottaSki Mentor

Chicken Dumpling soup with hopefully mini Lemon Meringue pies

Mini - Lemon - Meringue - Pies?

How'd they turn out?

Adalaide Mentor

Glad your mom is cooperating. Hopefully she'll stick with it. And yes, dinner is better when someone else makes it.

I am happier not thinking about the doctor. I have started making appointments with every doctor in a 10 mile radius who takes my insurance. Some appointments are as far out as July, but I am desperate and if I find answers before then I can cancel. When I said CRPS he actually looked at me like I had two heads and said CRPS? I had to explain it to a neurologist, I should have saved my breath and walked out.

GottaSki Mentor

Well Sheeeee ---it looks like I'm about to swear in print once again.

been there, done that and hate to hear others going through it - I try to temper my repulsion for the dismissive tone and lack of knowledge that too many of our doctors regularly exude.  This is me trying....trying...ok, didn't work so well - I am pissed that yet another patient has had to learn more than our doctors are taught or choose to learn in med school.

Hopping of the box...good on you for trying with everyone available in your network -- I should have pushed much earlier than I did.  I know you'll find answers - I'm adding a little prayer that this happen soon.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Well, we can never be accused of a lack of persistence, Addy, one day you will find your doc.

I am wondering if we can lure IHs doc to Florida to visit us all at the compound? Maybe he could also be a cabana boy.

I still don't really have a good one. At least I got a diagnosis of ncgi. He referred me to a dietitian for weight loss, but not nutritional info or testing. Without you guys I would still be a slug.

Thinking about getting my bike out (once it warms up. Thermals day today. We were having picnics on the beach last year.

Dinner. Hmmm. Maybe I should check the freezer...

GottaSki Mentor

Hi Dee Ho Dinner Thread Pals.

This evening I ask for prayers if you pray and really great thoughts of healing if that's what you do for my Mommy.  I am tired but here is what I posted on FB and it wraps it up...

Some of my friends know my Mom has been having a very tough year. Today we finally linked her catastrophic decline to a physical problem. To date - docs had been dismissing her decline to a mental problem. I hate that I have learned the dismissive nature of our current medical system first hand -- yet -- today I am thankful that I know how to accurately describe history, symptoms, multiple treatments and push for a better answer. Pray for my Mom - she has been thru hell - this tough little cookie will overcome.

ps...I never blame our doctors and nurses - they are intelligent, thoughtful and caring but are trapped in a system that is failing -- IMHO

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I'm glad you have an answer, and will send prayers and happy/healing thoughts. Hope things are otherwise well over there.

mushroom Proficient

Sending prayers and loving thoughts to heal your mom.  Hang tough, both of you.

Sending prayers for your Mum, and hugs for you.

I hope you both find what you need.

I am with you on recognizing that no learning is wasted. I turned from being my own advocate to my son's in the healthcare system. Thank goodness I knew what I was doing 2nd time. You know what you need to do.

Love Mw x

IrishHeart Veteran

Love, prayers, well wishes, good vibes, fingers crossed....I am doing all of it. I know full well the "adventures" of advocating for a parent. <_<

My poor Dad--if I only knew back then what I know now. sigh

Take care of Lisa, too while you are being so strong for Mum. Hugs, kiddo.

Call me anytime . xxoo.

GottaSki Mentor

hmmm...I guess I told a bit of a lie -- I do blame her primary that I asked repeatedly for a neuro consult back in Aug, Sept and Nov.

Have a great day everyone - off to bang a few doctors heads together ;)

Adalaide Mentor

No one will blame you for blaming doctors a little bit. When you see a person more often then the doctor they are spending 5 minutes with, you just know things sometimes. I wish doctors would freaking learn to listen and not think that they can diagnose any disease in 10 seconds flat.

On a brighter note, I managed a quick and easy dinner to night of butter & garlic oven taters (nope, not done stuffing these in my husband yet), roasted asparagus and more Christmas George. I think we only have 1 or 2 jars left so at least we won't be overwhelmed with ham when we get done canning on Easter Monday.

Tomorrow I pick up (more) medical records and actual copies of my MRI and CT scan (not just reports), mail of my kids' Easter box of junk they don't need and drop off my Jeepy for inspection. Fun day. <_<

Adalaide Mentor

Burgers tonight for dinner. I didn't make it to dropping my Jeepy off, I'll do that later. I just don't have the stamina today for a bus ride. I will though find the stamina to make arepas for the burgers. I also have a little asparagus left to use up and I suppose I'll let my husband have actual french fries tonight. All deep fried and bad for him.

love2travel Mentor

Bacon Jam Glazed Ham

Rosemary Potatoes Dauphinoise

Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Aioli

Bourbon Glazed Carrots

Beef, onions, zucchini, potato.

Dull but functional. Turns out I was a bit optimistic on the parmesan, nice set of rashes on my cheeks and, ahem, other symptoms. Ho hum, if I don't try these things I will never know :)

Have a good Easter everyone. In good news here it is less likely to snow tomorrow.

Ski, still hanging in for you and Mom x

psawyer Proficient

Three-cheese lasagne to accompany the Valpolicella.

:)

GottaSki Mentor

Yay!!!

Pete in the dinner thread -- with a yummy Italian evening to boot :)

Dinner here is a very large meatloaf -- if I didn't use up too many bread heals with stuffing the other night -- otherwise I'll punt.

Mashed potatoes - sweet for me.

Peas for them - Asparagus for me.

Brownies -- and I am eating one!

CommonTater Contributor

It's been a LONG time since we've had country fried steak. We dipped it in buttermilk then used Better batter to flour it and fried in coconut oil. We used to milk and corn starch and a little of the oil we fried the meat in to make gravy. It was SO GOOD! We also had green beans and mashed potatoes.  :D

Adalaide Mentor

I've been completely out of stamina lately. Even knowing how much more important this week was, being Easter weekend, people being away for vacation, and how short on volunteers they would be, there was no way I could rally through the pain and fatigue this morning. The bright side is, when I went and picked up my stuff there were three beautiful zucchinis in there.

To keep dinner simple and leftover free I made sausage, scrambled eggs and zucchini cakes.

I have a million things to do and the stamina of a dead slug. On the bright side, I have my lemon curd in the fridge. Now I just need an angel food cake to go with it.

kareng Grand Master

It's been a LONG time since we've had country fried steak. We dipped it in buttermilk then used Better batter to flour it and fried in coconut oil. We used to milk and corn starch and a little of the oil we fried the meat in to make gravy. It was SO GOOD! We also had green beans and mashed potatoes. :D

My mouth is watering no my thighs are getting bigger just reading this!

I've been completely out of stamina lately. Even knowing how much more important this week was, being Easter weekend, people being away for vacation, and how short on volunteers they would be, there was no way I could rally through the pain and fatigue this morning. The bright side is, when I went and picked up my stuff there were three beautiful zucchinis in there.

To keep dinner simple and leftover free I made sausage, scrambled eggs and zucchini cakes.

I have a million things to do and the stamina of a dead slug. On the bright side, I have my lemon curd in the fridge. Now I just need an angel food cake to go with it.

You don't need to make angel cake for me! Lemon curd is just fine!

Had chicken tacos tonight! Yum!

Tomorrow night - hub is grilling steaks and chicken, crockpot Au gratin potatoes, salad, carrot sticks ( for the no salad kids and my mom), coconut tres leches cake and a gluteny dessert my sis is making for those who don't like coconut.

Spell check wanted to change leches to leeches. Only my fish want 3 leeches cake!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Apparently, marshmallows give me a sugar rush... and i only ate a handful of the mini ones. :blink:

GottaSki Mentor

Hey Guys...been consisting on "astronaut food" for a few days -- oh that is baby food in squeeze packettes I've used as safe food for awhile -- was happy to see them at the SD Celiac fair recently and they are making grown up versions -- sorry tired and rambled.  tonight hubby and son made tons of tri tip and other stuff for everyone left over for house show...i'd been living in the hospital cuz it is a very scary place for Mom....oh...and being there and knowing history wins every time...made some friends, some not so much -- but kept spouting history, symptoms, etc and guess what...one of the docs I thought was another PITA turned out to be chief of staff - I had no idea until i stumbled outta the cafeteria this morning with some caffeine and paused to look at the pics of staff -- you never know when you'll meet someone that really can make a dif....wondered why we finally were being listened to - now I know.  

GottaSki Mentor

angel food???  blurry eyes must go back and read what i missed....my favorite bday cake is angel food with lemon icing.

Adalaide Mentor

When you get things straightened out there, you get right on making yourself an angel food cake. You deserve it! I do hope you are doing okay, holidays are no time to be spending in a hospital. I use the King Arthur recipe, but with the pastry flour blend from the December Living Without for the Christmas cookies. I use Alton Brown's recipe for lemon curd.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-angel-food-cake-recipe